Author Topic: Regulator for 1992 K75s  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Regulator for 1992 K75s
« on: December 13, 2017, 11:51:08 AM »
Does anybody know what other vehicles used the regulator out of a 33 amp alternator. The  Bosch part number I believe is 1 197 311 890. One post states out of a 60's Volvo but not specific on the model. If I can find out more information on what vehicles they were use on it would make chasing up one a lot easier.  :dunno
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Online Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
Re: Regulator for 1992 K75s
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 12:08:17 PM »
One post states out of a 60's Volvo but not specific on the model.
The model number of an alternative part used in a K75RT with your bike's alternator type is given in this post. Here is one supplier out of many. Maybe you'll find a Chinese source too.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline enb54

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 01:01:30 AM »
Does anybody know what other vehicles used the regulator out of a 33 amp alternator. The  Bosch part number I believe is 1 197 311 890. One post states out of a 60's Volvo ...<SNIP>

Martin... Have a peek at http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,6886.msg47181.html#msg47181 and I think it will help steer you to a solution...

Sorry! Laitch sent "in this post" link to the same place. I should engage brain before posting...
  • Red Deer, AB
Eric

Then-1966 Suzuki X6 Hustler, 1987 BMW K100RS, 1997 Suzuki GSF600 Bandit, 1991 BMW K75 RT
Now-1974 Honda CB125S, 2015 Honda Grom (MSX125)

Offline Martin

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 01:17:05 AM »
Thanks fellas, believe it or not it took the first and only auto electrician 2 hours to get one delivered to his shop.  I fell over in shock. The Honourable Minister picked it up while I was at work, and it took 30 min to fit it. The brushes were down to their 5mm limit and the battery now charges up. It is not as strong as it used to be so I might be up for a new battery it is 5-6 years old.
Regards Martin.

Offline billday

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 05:55:01 AM »
Martin, can you share how you diagnosed the problem?

I just looked at the thread Laitch dug up. It's amazing the amount of information that's tucked away in the forum.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Martin

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 01:25:59 PM »
Bill I posted this in Fuel cooler and due to the age and mileage on the Brick I decided to get a set of brushes. Sometimes it can take time to source and receive parts so it pays to preempt. However I got the regulator in 2 hours, and as I stated they were on their limit of 5mm. Since changing the battery has remained charged but I am still not sure if the battery is 100%. And I don't have time at the moment I suspect a dirty injector with the rough running and misfire.

Extract from Fuel Cooler post.

I went for a short test ride to the shops 2K. Half way there it started to drop one cylinder and run rough and hesitate on acceleration. I did what I had to do quickly, and when I went to start it was reluctant to turn over. The engine ran rough on the way back and cut out twice at the traffic lights and I just managed to get it to fire up, it was reluctant to turn over. Once home and on the stand it would hardly turn over and after two tries would not turn over. At this stage I didn't want the relay to stick so stopped trying, and decided to investigate.

One hose on the cooler had developed a kink so I removed it and blew it through no blockages. Next checked the vacuum line to the FPR looking for fuel, it was fine. Next step removed the spark plugs which were very sooty. Tried the starter and it turned over but not at it's normal vigour.  listened for the pump and it was pumping. Put on my spark plug lead test harness and went through the plugs one at a time checking the spark. They were not that strong not that but strong enough to illicit starting. Replaced the plugs with new ones, and tried to start it wouldn't turn over.

Put the brick on charge and before I went to bed, I tried it and it fired right up and ran smooth. This morning I put the multimeter on the bike. The readings as follows static ignition off 12.58v ignition on 12.10v run at idle 11.81 rev to 2500 13.23v. I couldn't really get a reading on the current draw on hitting the starter, it start too easily at a guess about 11.5v. I'm suspecting the battery as it is 5-6 years old but the running rough has got me a bit stumped. It should of run smooth when the alternator cut in. I rang Turbo Batteries to see if I could get a RevPlus AGM battery. The last time they didn't have a Deka which had been my previous battery of choice. Looking on line I could not find the same RevPlus number. The took the bikes information and said as they were busy would ring back later, that was yesterday afternoon it is now the next day.
As I have to work today I'll have to investigate further this afternoon when I finish.
Regards Martin.

Tags: