Author Topic: Any else ever feel like giving up?  (Read 19748 times)

Offline enb54

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Any else ever feel like giving up?
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »
Never!
I had a K100RS with a RT fairing, loved it (but bought the Suzuki GSF600) and sold the K100 to my best friend, he loved it and drove it another 100,000 Km. I bought the K75RT about 2 years later, and even though there are some minor maintenance issues, these are basically bulletproof bikes. Another friend has a Honda Goldwing, and many more issues, but maybe I was just lucky. Performing maintenance always keeps things in good order, whether houses, helicopters, cars or motorcycles (or anything). If you buy a reasonably well maintained anything, you'll likely get a lot of use and pleasure out of it. A poorly maintained item will usually cause you a lot of mental and financial anguish (don't ask about the wife's Honda CB125S!). Wish my new house was as well built as my old one, but blah blah blah, we all could likely go on forever about stuff  like this... Just sayin....

PS!  Yes those K bikes are HOT on the legs in slow drivin'...  :mbird
  • Red Deer, AB
Eric

Then-1966 Suzuki X6 Hustler, 1987 BMW K100RS, 1997 Suzuki GSF600 Bandit, 1991 BMW K75 RT
Now-1974 Honda CB125S, 2015 Honda Grom (MSX125)

Offline F14CRAZY

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2015, 11:10:23 PM »
Being that my bike was previously owned by Drake (who vouched for it over the phone before I bought it) and a retired gentleman after that it's had pretty good care, but then again, it was the cheapest non-basket case BMW I could find with side cases within a reasonable driving distance (which meant to North Carolina). I knew going into it that I would be tinkering with it.

I suppose I'll be keeping it. I'm at the point where its nickled and dimed me enough to the point where there's not much else to go wrong. And I fixed the leaking water pump issue with installing the used K1200LT pump I received from ebay.

So for now at least, I'll be sticking around. It is a great bike when it's running well, which is most of the time
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

Offline enb54

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2015, 11:50:26 PM »
I'm also retired and have certainly had issues with older bikes, but can't say that the K series bikes are bad, just the people who owned them before we got them! You just have to think of this as a "Learning Experience" kind of thing! A saying from my previous life...  :musicboohoo:

Eric...
  • Red Deer, AB
Eric

Then-1966 Suzuki X6 Hustler, 1987 BMW K100RS, 1997 Suzuki GSF600 Bandit, 1991 BMW K75 RT
Now-1974 Honda CB125S, 2015 Honda Grom (MSX125)

Offline kris

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 10:45:46 PM »
'F14, I literally just came back from a ride on my 2004 Concours. It was magic out there. I was thinking I would take this bike anywhere. (the Beemer will sit for a bit until I have time to investigate the monkey nuts issue as the possible source of my noise, etc..) The Kawi is, and is reputed to be, a wonderful bike. I cannot even look at the new Concours, however - Godzilla meets Roger Ramjet meets some whacked out designer...honest to God, it just gets crazier with these new bikes...and new Beemers are no exception. The Concours was just humming along like a champ tonight. It's a pleasure just listening to her engine spinning so nicely. I look forward to dealing with the issues on my old Beemer knowing that, when done, this Teutonic tourer will live up to its reputation and more. The K100 RT is an interesting machine to ride, feels nimbler than the Concours in ways, and is ugly enough to be kind of attractive...in my opinion. And there is no sub for that block engine. It's just got solid written all over it. And that engine purrs in an equally great, but different (than the Kawi) way.  To sum up, don't be afraid to pick up a fine Japanese bike as an alternate ride (assuming finances permit). I have come to realize that there are thousands of great machines out there, most of which are probably in beyond excellent shape with low miles on them. You can probably get one for a song (I ran into a guy at a bike shop who had a Honda CBX...the 6 cylinder bike...some older gent had just given him that bike and another large Japanese machine...he was too old to ride anymore).  And they will all be a little different, thank God. Pluses and minuses all of the place. Can you imagine how boring it would be if they were all perfect and all the same? Get through your issues with your K and hang on to it. One day down the road I guarantee you'll be glad you kept her.
  • In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Offline Novafrk

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 09:57:46 AM »
Just did 1200 trouble free miles on my K75S this past weekend.(Fri-Mon) 40mpg, 85mph. Don't give up man! These bikes rock!!!
88 K75S - My red headed mistress. Shhhh.

Offline richarddacat

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 10:05:49 AM »
I'm pretty satisfied.
My K75c is my summer bike and around town ride. I don't want to part with it and besides some newer technology and higher performing new bikes out there the Kbike suits me fine and costs me little.

When I want or need to travel farther and faster I have my FJR.
Sure makes the Kbike feel slow but the Kbike feels like a dirt bike coming off the FJR.

And the big plus with both of them is being virtually maintenance free, I just ride them.
loud pipes annoy people, well designed helmets save lives.

Offline F14CRAZY

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2015, 12:03:32 PM »
I think I've read that about the FJR and the Honda ST line...they don't don't handle that well. I don't have experience with anything else really but my K75C seems nimble enough even wearing the V1 and cases.

Interesting on the K75S getting 40 mpg at 85 mph. For 80+ mph runs I'm getting around 37-39 according to Fuelly. Must be my fairing
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C
'87 K75C w/ Pichler V1 fairing. LED's, CATZ driving lights, Audiovox cruise, LT top case, tons of other mods by Drake...

Offline wmax351

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 12:18:30 PM »
Interesting on the K75S getting 40 mpg at 85 mph. For 80+ mph runs I'm getting around 37-39 according to Fuelly. Must be my fairing

Yeah, my standard with a windshield is at 37 usually for those speeds. The S is more aerodynamic, the standards are a barn door.
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • 91 BMW K75 Standard, 98 Moto Guzzi California EV
Bikes:
Current:1991 BMW K75 Standard, 1998 Moto Guzzi California EV11
Past: '83 BMW R65LS, '75 Honda CB550F, '69 Honda CB175, 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V, 1971 BMW R75/5 in Toaster outfit, 1979 Harley Davidson XLS-1000 Sportster Roadster

Offline Novafrk

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 12:34:22 PM »
That was the average for the 1200 miles. Worst was 35 mpg Best was 45 mpg. Riding was interstate, state roads, and twisties.

Offline richarddacat

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 05:25:59 PM »

I think I've read that about the FJR and the Honda ST line...they don't don't handle that well. I don't have experience with anything else really but my K75C seems nimble enough even wearing the V1 and cases.

I get that mpg from my FJR, sometimes 44mpg, out of 1300cc's btw.
As far as handling, it depends on how they are set up but my FJR handles better than any BMW I've owned.
The ST's feel too top heavy for me.

Offline Old Surf Dog

• Curious
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »
If your thinking about a Kawasaki Concours I'd take a look at the new Kawasaki Versys 1000.  I test road one at the recent Kawasaki Koffee Break in Irvine CA and can tell you they are sweet.  Comfortable upright seating and very smooth and fast.  Really has got me wanting one!

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 04:34:23 PM »
I think the reason I've kept my S for so long is that while it's not top of class in anything it does almost everything very well.  Highway, commuting, backroads, mileage, touring, ease of servicing, dependability,  looks, enough idiosyncrasies to keep it interesting and every tom dick and harry doesn't have one. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2015, 08:49:32 AM »
I think the reason I've kept my S for so long is that while it's not top of class in anything it does almost everything very well.  Highway, commuting, backroads, mileage, touring, ease of servicing, dependability,  looks, enough idiosyncrasies to keep it interesting and every tom dick and harry doesn't have one.

I'm beginning to feel the same way about my RT.  Where else could I find a unique machine that costs under $3k with tons of "character" that you could take on a 4-5,000 mile trip and be comfortable and confident of getting home? 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline F14CRAZY

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »
I think I've about reached that point with my bike...there's not much left to go wrong so I'm better off keeping it and running it
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C

Offline Motorhobo

• +20 years of K75
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2015, 04:42:07 AM »
I have 3 k75s now so I guess I won't be giving up any time soon.
1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 136k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 193k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Offline Novafrk

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2015, 07:56:51 AM »

I couldn't agree with you more. Well said!

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2015, 08:11:15 AM »
yawl...

id rather push a motobrick than ride a versys...

give up... when they pry my warm fingers from my heated grips...

j o

• :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline F14CRAZY

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2015, 09:14:43 AM »
Versus? If I were gonna go that route I'd just find an R100GS. These soft adventure touring bikes seem pointless...not the comfort of a touring bike, not capable like an enduro bike
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C

Offline richarddacat

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2015, 11:49:34 AM »

Versus? If I were gonna go that route I'd just find an R100GS. These soft adventure touring bikes seem pointless...not the comfort of a touring bike, not capable like an enduro bike
Ditto.

I've seen a 90's model GS set up the way I would like it. Lowered, touring tires, Russell DL, Jesse bags and a big windshield.
Only advantage for me to have one is that huge tank and luggage capacity and it might see a dirt road now and then.

Offline F14CRAZY

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
I'd even rock an R100GS in purple. I'd take the black/yellow first though
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • '87 K75C

Tags: