Author Topic: Looking at a new brick.  (Read 2214 times)

Offline ExpatAussieBrick

• Motobrick Curious
Looking at a new brick.
« on: July 12, 2020, 10:34:30 PM »
Hey guys,

I have recently moved back home to Sydney Aus from the USA. My work visa was up and I couldn't get a new one with all the consulates being closed.

Now stuck in a hotel room in quarantine, until they let me out next week. Could be worse, I am glad to be home.

I do really miss my K75S however.

I am looking for a new bike here in Sydney and have found these two options.

Looking for some opinions on these two bikes that are up for sale. They are both at the same price point. Note these prices are in AUD $$ so take 35-40% off.

I am looking for something that will do the distance but still have good enough manners for city commuting.

BIKE 1.

Fully restored 1984 K100RT with naked and fairing options. I think this looks really nice also cool to have a naked option as it does get hot in Sydney traffic.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gerringong/motorcycles/motorcycle/1234333624

BIKE 2.

K100RS 4 Valve 1990 ABS. This I think might handle way better with the telelever rear and better brakes and ABS. But it has done way more KM.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/galston/motorcycles/bmw-k100rs-4-valve-1990-abs-motorcycle/1239320891

Any thoughts welcome.
  • Sydney Australia
  • Bluebottle Blu 1992 BMW K75S

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Looking at a new brick.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 11:32:36 PM »
Personally, I'd go for the 4 valve RS.  I have one, and it's my favorite ride.  Not as cool as a naked bike, but not as hot as an RT. 

Power is nice on the RS, and is pretty smooth between 3500 and 5000rpm.  Gets a little buzzy above that, but in 5th that is asking to talk to a cop.

ABS might get you a discount on your insurance.  I've only triggered it once in about 60,000 miles, and I'm not sure that locking up the rear wheel in that particular situation would have been disasterous.

I have read all the hype on the Paralever, but honestly can't tell the difference between my bikes with it and those with the Monolever.  As far as I can tell, the "jacking" force of the monolever rear end merely counters the squat caused by weight transfer under hard acceleration.  The only time I have ever seen the "jacking" action is in dyno videos where there is no weight transfer when the rear wheel accelerates because the bike remains stationary.  Downside is that doing a spline lube is about twice as much work.

The 4 valve engine has the Motronic ECU which has some self diagnostic capability not available with the earlier Jetronic system.  It also gets rid of the MAF, and as a result seems to have better throttle response.  I also get about 10% better fuel efficiency over my Jetronic equipped bikes.

Last, the RS has bigger brakes and tires, the seat feels a bit lower, and there are fewer problems with the center stand rusting out.  There is a tendency for the headers to crack where they enter the muffler.  That's easy to prevent by putting a jubilee clamp around them about 5-6 inches ahead of the muffler.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline ExpatAussieBrick

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 01:36:40 AM »
Thanks mate.

All good points.

Is there any difference in spline lube intervals between the Telelever and the Mono?

• Sydney Australia

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 01:40:45 AM »
^ +1 to Mighty G

Hello F, tough break on the visa, good to hear your back at home

If your set on another K-bike that 1990 looks very well kept for that mileage. Has very nice upgrades, SS hardware, newer rotors & pads, side & top cases with liners & especially that complete Staintune exhaust system very rare & mucho $$$.

Don't hesitate to put an offer on that moto.

Stay away from the 1984-85 K100 '1-Hit Wonder' buzzes like a Stihl 660 magnum chainsaw.
That moto has a thermistor-type petrol level sender, the Achilles heal of the now 36 year old 'Finest Year K' (FYK).

Once that petrol sender fails or disintegrates you are not finding another. Maybe if you go to church but a used one is rarer than the above Staintune exhaust system.

Good luck on your quest
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 01:59:00 AM »
Both those ads are from February

Are those motos still available?
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline ExpatAussieBrick

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 02:18:42 AM »
Yeah they are still up. It's winter now here guess things are selling slowly.

Also the market for big bikes in Aus isn't the same as in the USA. You need a few years riding experience to legally get a bike over 650cc. So that cuts new riders out of the market.

That's some awesome advice about the 84.

Fingers crossed the RS doesn't go before they let me out of quarantine.

I was sad to see my K75S go but it was going to cost me more than it's worth to get it home here. I hope the guy I sold it to takes good care of it.

I pointed him to this forum for maintenance advice.

He took off on my machine like someone lit a fire under his arse. So hopefully he cools his enthusiasm a bit and the poor bike doesnt end up in a ditch or a wrecking yard.

I hope all is going alright in NYC for you and that you are staying safe and well.
  • Sydney Australia

Offline blackie1

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • christchurch nz
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 03:24:43 AM »
looks like the K100 is missing a side cover.
my preference would be that great looking k75

you owned  a k75s so you know how smooth that engine is and stripped of the fairings would ne ideal for that aussie weather.

round town the 75 will be more manageble being a bit lighter and if you are doing any interstate trips either bike will pull all day at 120-140 kmph

of course i am completely biased having gone from a k1100LT "battleship" to an naked lithe k75 
  • christchurch, new zealand , where else would u want to live, really
  • 1991 K75RT naked 67,000kms

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 07:11:47 AM »
Of the two, I'd choose the 4-valve RS without hesitation and despite its current owner's hyperbole in the ad.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline K1300S

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 07:16:08 AM »
Wish the US has licensing laws like that...

Get the K100RS and don't look back.  RS Not much heavier than a k75s and is way more engine fun!
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 07:35:48 AM »
Spline lube intervals are 20,000km for both as far as I know.  I do mine once a year as part of my annual maintenance ritual.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline ExpatAussieBrick

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 08:12:42 PM »
Yeah they are both k100's I know the 1984 does look a bit like a k75 with it's fairing off.

I contacted the guy with 1990 k100RS it's still around, seems he has kept it in good shape. Looks like he is the original owner as well.

Will post up a pic if I buy it, once i got to check it out.

I reckon the RS will be a great ride especially if I plan on doing long miles in the outback. Need something that will just eat the miles and have that extra poke for high speed cruising.
  • Sydney Australia

Offline blackie1

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • christchurch nz
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 08:13:53 PM »
yes, sorry i mistook it for a k75
  • christchurch, new zealand , where else would u want to live, really
  • 1991 K75RT naked 67,000kms

Tags: