Author Topic: Oops  (Read 996 times)

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
Oops
« on: January 20, 2023, 10:54:43 AM »
I move the K outside a week ago to make room for some other projects in the garage, hated to do that but at least had a cover for it.  Well, wouldn't you know big storm with 50mph gusts caught that cover and blew it over.  Not the first time it been sideways but that damn thing has gotten MUCH heavier since the last time I dropped it!  Minimal damage, broken hinge on saddlebag and cracked mirror, maybe tweaked forks.  Guess I ought to figure out how to add some tie downs now
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline beemuker

Re: Oops
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 01:55:27 PM »
Guess I ought to figure out how to add some tie downs now
or just leave it uncovered.
  • Panama City, FL
  • '00 R1100RT,’92 K75 RT,past tense:'83 R80ST, '93 K1100LT,,94 R1100RS K75s, Honda NC700, Suzuki Bandit 1200, bmw R75/5 Honda 750

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 04:48:12 PM »
I don't know, I had one of those chocks and got rid of it after only using it once because it was unstable and scared me when I was working on the bike.  Bricks are just too top heavy in my opinion to work with those things.

My suggestion is to leave the cover on, but do a "hurricane wrap" to pull it close to the profile of the bike and prevent any slack in the cover from catching the wind.  Works pretty well for keeping mainsails in place in heavy winds.

Simply get about 40' of 1/4" line and starting at one end of the bike wrap the line around covered bike about 6 or 7 times.  The idea is to secure the cover to the bike so it can't flap around and present more cross section to the wind than the naked bike.  Should only take a minute or two to get a good wrap.

If you are expecting heavy wind, it would help if you moved the bike to a position where it is close to a wall that can act as a windbreak.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Past-my-Prime

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • All of us are better when we're loved.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 09:45:25 PM »
I'd move a bike with a sidecar outside if I had a choice. Those are a lot harder to blow over
  • North Shore of Lake Superior (in my garage)
  • BRICK: 1989 K75 RT - Rocinante; NON-BRICK: 2007 F650 GS Dakar - Betty Blue

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 10:20:04 PM »
I'd move a bike with a sidecar outside if I had a choice. Those are a lot harder to blow over

True, but that's my winter ride and it likes being in a nice cozy garage.  That's a drag because it's a gowdamn big sonofabitch!
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 03:00:00 PM »
The weather forecast for a storm should tell you which direction the wind will be blowing. If you have to leave the bike outside then have it pointed into the wind, preferably with another vehicle in front of it. If the bike doesn't get hit broadside by the wind then it shouldn't tip over.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 05:29:36 PM »
The weather forecast for a storm should tell you which direction the wind will be blowing. If you have to leave the bike outside then have it pointed into the wind, preferably with another vehicle in front of it. If the bike doesn't get hit broadside by the wind then it shouldn't tip over.
That is why an anemometer should be in every Brick owner's tool kit along with a copy of the Ashley Book of Knots, the 40' of line for lashing the cover, and the Slim Jims.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 05:49:36 PM »
I failed to take advantage of a unique K bike feature, idiotic sidestand lean.  I had angled the bike so the stand was on the uphill side of the sloped driveway, negating the extra lean.  If i had angled it downhill it would have been much harder to blow over a bike leaning into the wind at a 45 degree angle. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Tags: