Author Topic: One more from Finland  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Oma Aika

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
One more from Finland
« on: July 11, 2013, 12:59:58 AM »
Hi!

I bought a K75 '89 a few days ago. Me and my wife like older bikes, we have a 33 years old Honda CX, too. We are from Finland but bought that k75 from Sweden (they are cheaper there). On a second day the clutch cable broke after 700 kms riding.

I have a question - sorry my bad English, I'll probably use wrong words. When driving faster with higher rpms and releasing the throttle, it some times burns the gas in the pipe with a (one) bang. Is it typical or is there something that should be adjusted? Otherwise it works nicely, reacts well, engine is not smoking and gas consumption is surprisingly low.

You can see my bike and first rides with pics here: http://www.vanhamoto.net/2013/07/wagner-ja-suomen-tiet-hanko-kisko-ja.html
Text is in Finnish but there is the Translation on the upper right corner - even I know it translates Finnish very poorly.
BMW K75 -89
Honda CX500

Old bikes&cars&happenings, pictorials: www.vanhamoto.net

Offline WayneDW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: One more from Finland
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:04:17 PM »
Hey Ben.  Welcome to an old CX/GL friend. 

Backfires are common on K bikes but there are some things you can do.  One is to close the throttle all the way quickly when decelerating and holding it closed until you need to speed up.  The other is to make sure you have a good gasket at your muffler from the exhaust pipe.  (When I checked mine I found it missing.)  Third is to adjust the TPS (throttle position switch).  Do a search for TPS and you will find out how to do it.  It is also in the repair manuals if you have one.

welcome again,
Wayne
  • Minneapolis, MN, USA
  • 1992 K75RT

Offline Oma Aika

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 11:15:30 AM »
A small update - some of You are already familiar with me and I'm getting to know you all. My wife Viivi loves this BMW - it's so much better especially for the passenger (even though she says she loves the vibration of the CX...). K75 offers so smooth riding!

TPS and injection are now adjusted (a motorbike service did it for me) and all other adjustments checked - runs better but no effect on backfire. On the other hand - I'm getting used to that.
I bought a new windshield and now it looks great! http://www.vanhamoto.net/2013/07/plekseja-saa-vanhoihinkin-pyoriin.html
I've bought a new top box rack (Hepco&Becker) on which you can mount any top box.

What I'm still missing are the crashbars - haven't found them. Used ones would be fine but it seems that there are not many available.
BMW K75 -89
Honda CX500

Old bikes&cars&happenings, pictorials: www.vanhamoto.net

Offline WayneDW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 08:31:07 PM »

What I'm still missing are the crashbars - haven't found them. Used ones would be fine but it seems that there are not many available.

there are two pair on ebay right now.  search " bmw k75 engine guards"
of course, i don't know if they are willing to ship to Finland
  • Minneapolis, MN, USA
  • 1992 K75RT

Tags: