Author Topic: An idiot and his first bike  (Read 96675 times)

Offline MonkeyMcBean

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • North Dakota, USA
  • 1993 k75s
This is it. F*** it. It is what it is.

Offline Nantucket_Red

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: An idiot and his first bike - cafe conversion
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2015, 02:38:35 AM »
It is ungodly loud and only sounds good post 5k rpm.
  • Cape Cod,MA
  • 1987 BMW K100RT

Offline bikesnbones

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2015, 09:31:01 AM »
You're just not getting this, are you? No one cares that it makes you butthurt that your fond feelings for Flying Bricks preservation is not reflected by everyone else. It is of absolutely no relevance, and no importance. Your tone is one to be expected from a whiny, jealous child. Get over it. Or don't. It doesn't make a difference either way, to anyone but you, and you are not superior to anyone else on this forum. Grow up.

Noticed you avoided the point I made.
Are you a politician by any chance.
I have no problem with project bikes,
Nowhere have I said that I have but in this case, a good bike, rather than being enhanced and improved, has been brutalised and ruined.
It would have been more sympathetic to have just left it as standard, rather than to do this with it.
That's my opinion, and if you don't like it, frankly I couldn't care less.
Maybe in your home you're used to having your way with no one disagreeing with you, but try that with me and I'll just metaphorically shove it back up your ass.
  • Peterborough UK

Offline billday

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2015, 09:37:36 AM »
Time for a couple of people to just let it go. There's language and tone happening in this thread that has no place on Motobrick. So, thanks in advance for stopping.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2015, 10:55:05 AM »
bet
  • Lincoln, TN 37334
  • 1993 K75S? "Stormtrooper" 1999 R1100RTP "Lord Vader"
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.- Mark Twain

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.-
Mark Twain

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2015, 12:49:10 PM »
  • Lincoln, TN 37334
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.- Mark Twain

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.-
Mark Twain

Offline MonkeyMcBean

« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2015, 02:25:52 PM »
I liked the shortened stock can too. Looks like he welded the end on at a slight angle to aim it out in addition to back.

He said it was much louder than the original.
  • North Dakota, USA
  • 1993 k75s

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2015, 03:35:09 PM »
Loud pipes save lives.  LOL!

A friend who works for the fire department says an awful lot of the bike wrecks he attends are Hardleys with drag/straight pipes.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline MonkeyMcBean

« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2015, 04:45:44 PM »
A friend who works for the fire department says an awful lot of the bike wrecks he attends are Hardleys with drag/straight pipes.

There are a few confounding variables there. I think that there are a lot of people who buy a nice harley as their first bike and have never ridden. Lots of the people at sturgis this year surely didn't know exactly how to ride. Wobbly, feet off pegs until 20mph, can't uturn....
  • North Dakota, USA
  • 1993 k75s

Offline Andrewck

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2015, 05:38:02 PM »
My name is Andrew and I am an idiot.

I agree, and if no one else is going to say it, I will.
You've taken what appeared to have been a lovely standard motorcycle, and ruined it, to the point where it now looks like something lashed back together from the parts bin after a major crash.
Such a shame.

bikesnbones, thanks so much for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts with the forum.  I love that I don't fit your definition of what a "real enthusiast" is as the world would be such a dull place if we all agreed on everything.  Along with many of the other members here, I hope to share a ride and maybe a beer at some point in the future.
1990 K75S

Offline bikesnbones

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2015, 06:43:49 AM »
My name is Andrew and I am an idiot.

I agree, and if no one else is going to say it, I will.
You've taken what appeared to have been a lovely standard motorcycle, and ruined it, to the point where it now looks like something lashed back together from the parts bin after a major crash.
Such a shame.

bikesnbones, thanks so much for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts with the forum.  I love that I don't fit your definition of what a "real enthusiast" is as the world would be such a dull place if we all agreed on everything.  Along with many of the other members here, I hope to share a ride and maybe a beer at some point in the future.

Well, I got some hate mail from one particular idiot on this forum over this.
I like café racer conversions, but it has to be done right, and preferably with an old shitter, rather than a beautiful standard unmolested bike.
  • Peterborough UK

Offline JcJ TN K75s

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2015, 07:34:21 AM »

Well, I got some hate mail from one particular idiot on this forum over this.
I like café racer conversions, but it has to be done right, and preferably with an old shitter, rather than a beautiful standard unmolested bike.
Just one?

It has to, or else it makes some people really really sad and grumpy.

Keep it up Andrew.  I do like to see a REAL enthusiast at work.  I certainty wouldn't worry about anyone else's sense of "style".

• Lincoln, TN 37334

Mark Twain

Offline seansmitty42

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2015, 01:22:38 PM »
I am very interested in the wiring of the speedo and gauge cluster. I just started on a k bike and I am pretty nervous around wiring anyway.. I'll be following along
  • Oklahoma
  • 85 k100

Offline rowdey

• Curious
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2015, 03:56:38 PM »
I am very interested in the wiring of the speedo and gauge cluster. I just started on a k bike and I am pretty nervous around wiring anyway.. I'll be following along

Same^

Done anything else in the past few months? Thanks
  • North Carolina
  • 1985 K100

Offline BRIDGE

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2015, 05:14:43 PM »

Same^

Done anything else in the past few months? Thanks

I'll grab a slice of any details/findings on the wiring of a new speedometer/electrical as well. Though for future reference I'm still way off that stage on my bike.
  • UK
  • 86 K100RS - Project KC

Offline herseyb

« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2015, 10:01:20 AM »
This thread needs new pics.
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline Andrewck

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2015, 12:12:55 AM »
I agree, OP needs to update this thread!!

Sorry for the long delay, it was never my intention to abandon this thread, but life gets busy in a hurry and sadly some things get pushed to the side.  I am working again and the startup life means that I'm pulling 80-90 hour work weeks.  It's not uncommon for me to spend the night on the couch in my office and when I do make it home, I'm asleep or spending time with the gf.  Sadly this means my other love interest is sitting alone most days in the garage.

I hit a pothole while riding home from work one warm day about a month ago.  Immediately the bike was making a funny noise and there was a strange rattling and vibration coming from the seat.  I was only 2 blocks from home so after pulling into my garage, I assessed the damage.  Since my fiberglass seat isn't secured in the front, when I hit the pothole, I elevated off the seat and the entire seat raised up and tilted back just enough for the license plate to catch the rear wheel.  The wheel grabbed the license plate and ripped it off, pulling with it my makeshift plate holder, turn signals and brake light.  This was all left dangling from the fiberglass shell and essentially makes the bike impossible to ride until fixed.

I'm not sure the course of action, but it's not good and pretty much ends my riding season.  I get to sit in the corner and think about what I've done this winter.  Fortunately it gives me time to plan a better seat assembly and also finally wire up a damn speedometer.  So there you have it...the most underwhelming update ever.  Just when I thought I was going to get a chance to ride more and to create more, I'm benched with technical difficulties.

1990 K75S

Offline Andrewck

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2015, 12:31:53 AM »
I did pick up a new hobby I'll share with the group.  While in Montana in early Sep, I found two vintage axes at an junk antiques shop.  They were a bargain so I picked them up with the intent of restoring them...because you can never have enough toys.

I cut the heads off the old helves and since they were very rusty and dirty, so I let them soak in a vinegar bath for 36 hours.  After 24 hours, I scrubbed them with sandpaper before letting them soak for another 12 hours.  After the second rinse, I scrubbed them again with sandpaper, which removed all the rust and grime.

Next I filed the heads down where they had mushroomed out (somebody used them as a sledge).  I then started with 80 grit sandpaper and began to remove the pitting on the axe heads.  After 80, I did another pass with 100, 120, 150, 220, 320, 400.  Each pass smoothed out the head more and more until non-pitted again.

Using a file and then wetstone, I reset and shaped the edge, gradually sharpening it.  Bought a couple of new hickory helves at Ace and hung the heads on each.  Then, in the spirit of my California roots, painted the handles blue & gold.  About 5 coats of linseed oil later, they began to take on a nice luster and are ready for splitting wood.

It was my first time restoring an axe and found it very therapeutic.  I highly suggest you give it a try and for under $30 you can have an incredibly well built tool with a story and history to it that should last a lifetime.
1990 K75S

Offline rowdey

• Curious
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2015, 01:09:07 AM »
That's a damn shame about the bike. I'm always hurt to hear about someone's baby getting damaged. Did you ever wire up the speedo or have you been riding with the traffic? Pretty neat stuff about the axes man. Keep up the good work!
  • North Carolina
  • 1985 K100

Offline Andrewck

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2015, 01:35:46 AM »
That's a damn shame about the bike. I'm always hurt to hear about someone's baby getting damaged. Did you ever wire up the speedo or have you been riding with the traffic? Pretty neat stuff about the axes man. Keep up the good work!

A couple mph faster than traffic and it's worked out just fine so far.  Shift by sound and feel of the engine.  I rarely looked at my tachometer when it was on the bike, so it's not really an adjustment.

I'm sad about the seat only because it was a lot of hard work and thought that went into it.  Sadly not enough thought to prevent a fatal design flaw.  At the end of the day, I knew it was a temporary seat and one of my best friends is a really advanced engineer and designer.  We scanned the seat (pre-accident) and he uploaded it into CAD.  Our plan over the winter is to render the upload, fix the shape and size of the seat, and print it out using a 3D printer.  Design will be much sturdier than my homemade fiberglass mold and should be a better fit as well.  Will absolutely find a better way to attach it next time!
1990 K75S

Offline Andrewck

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2015, 01:11:45 PM »
well, somebody stole the mesh side panels off of my bike while it was parked in my garage.  :musicboohoo:

not sure if I'm going to replace them with another set or head back to the drawing board to create something else.
1990 K75S

Offline lalilulelo

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2016, 12:18:23 PM »
Nice build m8! Im doing a K100 1991 right now at the moment, been posting a lot in another bike forum but found this when i was searching for an exhaust collector. Maybe i'll post my work one day when im in the mood to show my work!

Best regards from Sweden!
  • Gothenburg, Sweden
  • BMW K100LT 1991

Offline vwildvr6er

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2016, 10:27:34 AM »
Props for taking on the DIY approach with this. I admire a project more when it's crafted by hand by the owner. I think the progress so far is great and look forward to seeing the things to come.

P.S: 3D printing a seat is brilliant. I could put one in CAD but I don't have access to any printer beds larger than 6"x6" and I don't like the idea of gluing a seat together. At least, not yet. I was thinking about giving the fiberglass route a try, but it would be a new excursion so I am on the fence about it. You made it sound pretty simple though; thanks.

-Janssen
  • Flint, MI
  • 1985 K100RS

Offline Andrewck

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2016, 07:46:28 PM »
Fiberglass was not hard to do, just remember to add many layers. I stopped with 3. If I weren't doing CAD, I would have no issue doing fiberglass again with 6-7 layers on all parts of the seat, not just lower pan.
1990 K75S

Offline jjs1234

« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2016, 08:30:16 PM »
Wish you luck on your build :) :riding:

Keep pressing on no matter what anyone says (yeah I know you already know this) :musicboohoo:

:mm

Enjoying your progress
  • Northern California
  • 1984 K100
Check out my build! Complete tear-down!
Mr. Creative

Tags: