Author Topic: '86 K75c Won't start. Yes, I tried that stuff. Any help?  (Read 11039 times)

Offline punchesdfw

• Motobrick Curious
Re: '86 K75c Won't start. Yes, I tried that stuff. Any help?
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 03:32:40 PM »
Here's the CRAZY ting. I removed and reinstalled the tank. Pushed the starter and it ran for 15-minutes before I turned it off. I Pushed the button and turned it off several times and it runs perfectly?
Seems to be OK now. I have No Idea what just happened!
  • USA
  • '86 K75C

Offline punchesdfw

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 05:47:29 PM »
?
  • USA
  • '86 K75C

Offline punchesdfw

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 10:35:28 PM »
4 pin

nuff said
Not nuff for me. What do you mean? Thanks!
  • USA
  • '86 K75C

Offline K1300S

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 11:03:42 PM »
Not nuff for me. What do you mean? Thanks!
the 4 pin tank fuel pump connector.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline punchesdfw

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 11:09:39 PM »
It was not the tank (pump) connector. I plugged it in and out probably 20-times. But.... We don't know what it was. Something was wiggled when I removed the tank. But it works for now.
  • USA
  • '86 K75C

Offline Adam M

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 09:39:23 AM »
Connectors not connecting because of rust / long stay outside ?
Not only your tank connector, but switches too.
  • Canada
  • Triumph T 150 Trident.

Offline punchesdfw

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 09:44:05 AM »
No rust. No corrosion. If you read all the posts, it has been crazy. Either way, it works now.
  • USA
  • '86 K75C

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »
I would strongly suggest that you pursue the cause of this whack you are experiencing.  It appears to be intermittent and quite possibly could return, usually at the most inopportune time and location.  Finding the cause will allow you to make a permanent fix and/or give you the knowledge to quickly get running again should the problem return.

Intermittent problems are the worst to troubleshoot because they can be difficult to make happen and it's hard to be sure you have actually fixed them.

Having said that, I think you should spend a little time reading up on the four pin fuel tank connector.  It is the cause of a significant amount of whack on these bikes.  It would be good to see how others have been able to improve the reliability of it's connection.

Along with that, it will be time well spent to remove the tank and do a good cleaning of the wiring under it.  There are a number of ground and other critical electrical connections under there that need to be nice and clean to have a reliable well running machine.  It is one of the first things I do when I add a bike to my fleet. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline punchesdfw

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2018, 10:10:27 AM »
Thank you for the advice! I think I'll ignore it and wait until I'm all alone on a dirt road in the middle of the Chihuahuan desert until I consider it! lol
  • USA
  • '86 K75C

Offline daveson

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2018, 07:03:04 AM »
i have a k100 that had a similar problem
it would run at revs with the fuel pump disconnected, but stall when i connected the pump
it turned out that the fuel relay was stuck in the on position, causing overfueling
from memory when u turn key to ignition u should hear fuel pump for about 3 seconds and then turn off
if pump runs continuously possibly relay stuck
im guessing vacuum from cylinders at revs draws fuel in even though pump disconnected
i was surprised too that i could ride the bike even with the pump disconnected as long as the revs were high enough
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »
It was not the tank (pump) connector. I plugged it in and out probably 20-times. But.... We don't know what it was. Something was wiggled when I removed the tank.
I would strongly suggest that you pursue the cause of this whack you are experiencing.
Thank you for the advice! I think I'll ignore it and wait until I'm all alone on a dirt road in the middle of the Chihuahuan desert until I consider it! lol
The fault could lie beyond the immediate pin-to-socket connections of the plug. The fault could be among the wire connections within each plug to the pins and sockets. The fault could also be among the wire connections to the fuel sender within the tank, from the fuel sender to the pump or the connections at the pump itself. Moving the tank might be re-establishing connection. The disconnection will occur when riding jostles the wiring enough to cause it.

Take extra water and sunscreen to Chihuahua—not that I want to interfere with natural selection. :giggles

from memory when u turn key to ignition u should hear fuel pump for about 3 seconds and then turn off
if pump runs continuously possibly relay stuck
it would run at revs with the fuel pump disconnected, but stall when i connected the pump
it turned out that the fuel relay was stuck in the on position, causing overfueling

i was surprised too that i could ride the bike even with the pump disconnected as long as the revs were high enough
That all seems a little whacky.

With 2V K-motos like punche's K75 and your K100, turning the ignition switch to On does not activate the fuel pump for 3 seconds. That happens on 4V motos. 

On your motos, pressing the starter button enables activation of the fuel pump. Closing the contacts in the fuel injection relay ("the on position") is part of that activation. The fuel pump then runs continuously during engine operation to supply pressure to the fuel system as long as the fuel injection relay contacts are closed. One of the ways for depressurizing the fuel system to disconnect hoses is to remove fuse #6—the fuel pump fuse—then start the engine. The engine will run then stall from fuel starvation regardless of the throttle's position. These engines won't run for very long without fuel pumps in operation.

Your engine's overfueling was caused by some other condition.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline punchesdfw

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2018, 02:44:14 PM »
"Take extra water and sunscreen to Chihuahua—not that I want to interfere with natural selection. :giggles"

I'll also take a gun with one bullet :hehehe!
  • USA
  • '86 K75C

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 03:34:43 PM »
I'll also take a gun with one bullet :hehehe !
Be certain the calibers match. Disappointment has its limits.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline daveson

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2018, 07:19:22 AM »
thats my memory of it, maybe im wrong, maybe the pump started with a quick jab of the start button but then remained on
fuel was leaking out from the header muffler joint, when fuel rail removed the injectors had a constant spray
after replacing the fuel relay the bike ran normally, so i assumed the relay was stuck open
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline daveson

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2018, 07:31:01 AM »
meant stuck on
anyway i definitely remember the bike running and even going for a ride on it with the fuel pump disconnected
i too thought thats crazy, how can i ride it with the pump disconnected, i assume the fuel was sucked in by the vacuum
  • Victoria, Australia

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2018, 07:36:53 AM »
meant stuck on
anyway i definitely remember the bike running and even going for a ride on it with the fuel pump disconnected
i too thought thats crazy, how can i ride it with the pump disconnected, i assume the fuel was sucked in by the vacuum
:tinhat2
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline punchesdfw

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2018, 08:09:06 AM »
Relays are cheap. I nay just buy one and keep it in the tail section just in case
  • USA
  • '86 K75C

Tags: