Author Topic: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?  (Read 1909368 times)

Offline alabrew

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #2800 on: July 07, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
Installed the Speedo unit on the '85 after odometer repair by Overseas and took her out for a spin with the GPS. Speedo is exactly right. Now I just have to figure out why the new front tire isn't holding air after it had been before vacation...
  • Birmingham, Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Online Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2801 on: July 07, 2017, 08:15:56 PM »
Now I just have to figure out why the new front tire isn't holding air after it had been before vacation...
My magical thinking manual always directs me to tighten the valve core before doing anything else in a case like this.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline The Dude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2802 on: July 07, 2017, 10:35:14 PM »
Mine says spit on the bubble tube first,then deep puddle testing.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline alabrew

« Reply #2803 on: July 07, 2017, 10:45:16 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I tightened the valve stem and the nut on the outside. Yes, current plan is to put it in a tub a water and look for bubbles.
  • Birmingham, Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Offline BlitzenGruv

• My first BMW. Been riding old British forever..
« Reply #2804 on: July 08, 2017, 01:24:07 AM »
I removed the petrol tank to get to the multi-pin connectors. Douched 'em good with contact cleaner, and the thing still reports no signal from the bottom sensor. I don't care if it runs on all four, the bike ain't leaving the driveway until the computer is happy.
I'd like to check continuity from sensor to computer, but can't seem to find diagrams for the 4v version. Anyone know to what pins the HE sensors connect?
  • Crossville, TN
  • '92 K100rs, 16v, '71 BSA Lightning, '72 Triumph Bonneville, '72 Triumph Trident
You say I'm schizophrenic, but I don't believe we are.

Offline Martin

« Reply #2805 on: July 08, 2017, 01:27:41 AM »

Alabrew you could try dish washing liquid and water mix in a spray bottle.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Online Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #2806 on: July 08, 2017, 02:08:09 AM »
I'd like to check continuity from sensor to computer, but can't seem to find diagrams for the 4v version. Anyone know to what pins the HE sensors connect?
Check out the diagram in the pdf in this post from the Repair Guidance Master List.
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7996.msg58795.html#msg58795
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline rbm

« Reply #2807 on: July 08, 2017, 04:30:09 AM »
I removed the petrol tank to get to the multi-pin connectors. Douched 'em good with contact cleaner, and the thing still reports no signal from the bottom sensor. I don't care if it runs on all four, the bike ain't leaving the driveway until the computer is happy.
K100 4V diagrams

HE sensors connections to the Motronic 2.1 ECU are:
  • power to both sensors is from pin 29
  • ground to both sensors and cable shield is from pin 5
  • sensor 1 output is pin 8
  • sensor 2 output is pin 26

Have you reset the old 1133 codes?  They don't reset automatically.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline BlitzenGruv

« Reply #2808 on: July 08, 2017, 06:06:26 AM »
K100 4V diagrams

Have you reset the old 1133 codes?  They don't reset automatically.
Thank you. How does one reset the fault codes?
I just assumed that they reset after starting with no error reported, as with  a car.
  • Crossville, TN
  • '92 K100rs, 16v, '71 BSA Lightning, '72 Triumph Bonneville, '72 Triumph Trident

Online Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #2809 on: July 08, 2017, 07:35:46 AM »
I just assumed that they reset after starting with no error reported, as with  a car.
Warner discusses his method in the link I supplied. His method doesn't conform with your assumption.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline K1300S

« Reply #2810 on: July 08, 2017, 09:20:11 AM »

None of the cars I know of reset themselves either.  Warning light goes out, but codes are still there until reset manually.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline rbm

« Reply #2811 on: July 08, 2017, 10:01:30 AM »
Another treatise on the Motronic fault codes can be found on the K11OG site in the Tech Stickies section:  http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2110  This writeup is similar in content to the Warner article Laitch link you to.

In that text, it states:
NOTE: The Motronic Control Unit only displays 1 fault code at a time (4 digits) even if there are multiple faults. Once the first displayed fault has been recorded, repeat the Ignition OFF, Ignition ON and ground pin #1 for 5 seconds to display the next stored fault code.
Continue resolving faults until "4444" is displayed indicating all faults have been resolved.

NOTE: 1122 and 1133 faults can be spurious in nature. If either of these codes appear and you do NOT suspect a Hall Sensor problem, (In other words, you are NOT diagnosing a no-start condition), crank the engine for a few seconds and the Hall Sensor fault codes should clear. You will have a 4444 code which indicates No Faults Stored.

So, codes remain until the fault is remediated, except for 1122 and 1133 which are spurious and may appear randomly.  Maybe nothing is wrong with your K-bike at all.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Online Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #2812 on: July 08, 2017, 12:32:53 PM »
So, codes remain until the fault is remediated, except for 1122 and 1133 which are spurious and may appear randomly.  Maybe nothing is wrong with your K-bike at all.
Both the Warner and the Largiader treatises indicate that the fault codes can be cleared by cutting the power supply. Warner's method is disconnecting the battery for some unspecified time—probably enough time for a cup of coffee and an article in the Economist or Easyriders. Largiader's method is to remove fuse #5 for "some five seconds"—probably equivalent to 4.5 pushups.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline BlitzenGruv

« Reply #2813 on: July 08, 2017, 10:24:12 PM »
Tried removing fuse #5, no joy. So, I disconnected the battery while I went shopping. Still getting 1133. Cranked the engine for about ten seconds. Still flashing 1133.
Guess I'll just check the air filter, put the tank back on, put all the plastic back on and ride the thing.
It fires on all four. A spurious code which persists?
  • Crossville, TN

Online Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #2814 on: July 08, 2017, 10:45:53 PM »
Guess I'll just check the air filter, put the tank back on, put all the plastic back on and ride the thing.
Sometimes letting go is the only way to find peace.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline MIbrick

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2815 on: July 09, 2017, 04:26:35 PM »
New coolant hoses and coolant (Peak Global something-something 50/50 DO NOT ADD WATER!!!!1!!!!!one!!!!!! in a gold jug; they're very serious about you not adding water). Finished up vacuum lines and even the little vacuum caps on the throttle bodies (mine were cracked something awful). Removed the CA emissions crap and capped that nipple on the engine block. Installed Spiegler rear stainless brake line. Flushed, filled, bled and topped off both brake systems.

Discovered the cause of the fuel leak that started this whole exercise. Per Mike's suggestion, I laid out some paper towel, filled the tank with a gallon or so of gas and sloshed it around. Waited for drips to appear, praying desperately there would be none. Alas, there were.  So much for any benefit in being an ordained minister, I guess. The only place I can see it coming from is the sending unit.  Luckily, I already have a new o-ring for that on the way.  I have to wonder, though, why it decided to 'suddenly' give up the ghost.

:dunno

Oh well, that failed twenty cent part (if you got it anywhere BUT the BMW dealership) has led to all new just about everything at this point.  Oh, and if it weren't for the fuel leak, which led to me doing brake lines, I probably wouldn't have noticed those two fork clamp machine screws backed out. So...silver linings, I guess.

Down side to today's activity:  I lost one of the rubber ECU suspension knobs (under the seat, on the frame).  Anyone have a line on a spare 51161459064 (Max Fiche: 52_1028 - Tool Box, Part #4) that won't cost me a Jackson?

Special thanks to:  Mike from Wixom, the thread starters for those threads that showed up in my search for "I just bled my front brakes and I don't have any brake pressure" (hint: turn the bars to the left and work the brake handle to get the bubbles out) and, as always, the most helpful members of this board.
  • Michigan
  • 1986 K100RS (ohne Tragkorb)

Offline Martin

« Reply #2816 on: July 09, 2017, 04:45:23 PM »

MIbrick  spray on talc is very good at finding leaks. Clean areas that you suspect of leaking then spray with talc, and depending on what leak you are pursuing either go for a ride, or sit and wait. All will be revealed, and your bike will smell nice.
Regards Martin.

Offline Martin

« Reply #2817 on: July 09, 2017, 08:20:03 PM »

Just spent a pleasant 2.5 hours pampering the Brick. Did an oil and filter change last Friday could not find the gearbox final drive oil anywhere locally I was  told they could order it in. I did a bit of online research and have switched from Valvoline Duragear 75-90W to Castrol Syntrax 75-90W. I don't like switching oils or mixing them and I still had a bit of Valvoline left so I used it in the final drive and used the Castrol in the gearbox. This will give me enough left over so that I will only have to buy a litre of Castrol next time. I did a spline lube front and rear at 140,000 k's and I now have 160,000 K's. So I did a rear only spline lube and switched from Optimol paste to Honda Moly 60. Kept reading the occasional article saying Honda was a better choice. I used to do rear spline lubes  at 30,000 K's this one at 20,000 K's. The Honda lube was a bit of a rip off, the tube was only half full. Splines looked fine very little wear if any. :riding:
Regards Martin.

Offline K1300S

« Reply #2818 on: July 10, 2017, 07:02:41 AM »
My tube of Honda came the same way.

Ok though...even that amount is like a life time supply!
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Online Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #2819 on: July 10, 2017, 07:18:01 AM »
. . . the tube was only half full.
That's an admirably positive attitude, Martin. :2thumbup: The old Vermont woodsman's proverb applies here, I think. Contents will settle during shipment.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Martin

« Reply #2820 on: July 10, 2017, 05:52:28 PM »

How does grease settle? Must be aerated fizzy grease, and it's gone flat.  :dunno
Regards a puzzled Martin.

Offline Christopherguzzi

• My first Beemer🏍.
  • It ran when it was parked........27 years ago😳.
« Reply #2821 on: July 10, 2017, 09:05:32 PM »
Took my brick to lunch today, and when I went to return, pushed the starter button, and nothing.  I knew that the broken starter button that had been working up until today would have to be addressed sooner than later.  But it finally stranded me today before I had a chance to come up with a suitable repair.  But the good news is that I found out that you can bump start these bikes.  Wasn't sure given the fuel injection.  Running start, pop the clutch in 3rd gear, the fuel pump kicks in, and vroooooooom!!!
  • Little Canada, Minnesota
  • 1986 K75C
Christopherguzzi

Offline Martin

« Reply #2822 on: July 10, 2017, 10:39:11 PM »

I'm lucky just being able to push mine around the garage, let alone giving it a running start.  :hehehe
Regards Martin.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2823 on: July 10, 2017, 10:54:52 PM »
I'm lucky just being able to push mine around the garage, let alone giving it a running start.  :hehehe
Regards Martin.

Same here.  If the starter doesn't spin, I'm walking.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Online Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #2824 on: July 10, 2017, 11:15:49 PM »
Must be aerated fizzy grease, and it's gone flat.  :dunno

You win the coconut! Go outside and collect it. Congratulations! :clap:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles