Author Topic: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?  (Read 1909344 times)

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #2650 on: April 19, 2017, 03:26:46 PM »

Lately I've had trouble doing long distances ( lost too much natural padding)on my modified lowered and softened ( questionable) OEM seat. I can go about an hour before it gets uncomfortable, two hours with a gel seat pad. I  bought another seat when I wanted to lower my seat it was good except for a split on the cover. I have now decided to try and lower, refoam and recover my OEM seat. After a lot of chasing I managed to get four different densities of foam  and some marine vinyl all for $30.00. I think after trying three variations I might have found the right one, I will know in a couple of weeks when I go for a long ride with a mate. I have held back recovering the seat until I have the foam solved. I would love to try one of Jo's seat but it's a bit of a drive.
Regards Martin
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #2651 on: April 23, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »
Today, after three or four attempts, I finally found the right place to mount my Ram phone mount

It is perfect there, the handlebars have full movement without anything touching the tank, all instruments and mirrors are clear and the phone is nicely in my field of view (I use at as a GPS when riding)
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline kmev

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2652 on: April 25, 2017, 11:06:19 PM »
Today was my first-year anniversary with a K-bike, so to commemorate 16,877 miles since purchase I lubed and adjusted the clutch cable, changed the spark plugs, and ordered Ken Lively's valve tools and a new set of tires.
  • Madison, Wisconsin
  • 1994 K75s

Offline K1300S

« Reply #2653 on: April 26, 2017, 12:14:38 PM »
KMEV....nice ride!!!
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline kmev

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2654 on: May 02, 2017, 10:16:46 PM »
Got Ken Lively's valve tools in short order, so I popped the valve cover to have a look. To my dismay, five of the six valves needed adjustment - all exhaust valves were pretty tight, and my #1 exhaust valve only had .001" of clearance.  :yow  I wish I had checked the valves last year. Current mileage is 62,567 miles. That #1 exhaust valve took a 2.15 mm shim to give me .012", so I still have three shims sizes before new valve seats.
  • Madison, Wisconsin
  • 1994 K75s

Offline whosyurdaddy

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2655 on: May 03, 2017, 05:31:13 AM »
  I got my tranny pulled yesterday and I'm happy to say all my splines are in excellent shape . Hard to say when the splines were lubed last because I found very little lube residue on any of the splines . The leaky main seal will be replaced next along with O-ring and then its time to put the puzzle back together . I'm really amazed how good all the bits have looked considering what appears to be a poor service history .
  • Central Indiana
  • 1991 K100RS SOLD

Offline Brick_hack

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2656 on: May 08, 2017, 10:35:07 AM »
I replaced the air filter in my K1100LT. That took an hour because I couldn't remove the right fairing due to there being a sidecar frame in the way. I had to rotate the fairing out of the way enough to squeeze a hand back there to get the front clip out. Eventually got it done. Over the winter and spring I also replaced the fork springs, bushings, seals, and oil. I also rebuilt both front brake calipers with new seals, brake lines (Spiegler) and pads. I put a new front tire on, changed the fuel filter, and changed the engine, transmission, and final drive oils. Finally, I also rewired the side car and rebuilt the sidecar side marker light and tail light with LEDs.
  • Bellefontaine, OH
  • 1997 K1100LT

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2657 on: May 08, 2017, 11:19:33 AM »
, five of the six valves needed adjustment - all exhaust valves were pretty tight, and my #1 exhaust valve only had .001" of clearance.  :yow  I wish I had checked the valves last year. Current mileage is 62,567 miles.

Good chance that's the first time anyone ever checked the valves.  Can't remember mine every needing 1 or 2 shims, and that wasn't until I had well over 60,000.  K's need adjustments so seldom it often gets put off until it's too late. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Brick_hack

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2658 on: May 08, 2017, 11:24:58 AM »
Got Ken Lively's valve tools in short order, so I popped the valve cover to have a look. To my dismay, five of the six valves needed adjustment - all exhaust valves were pretty tight, and my #1 exhaust valve only had .001" of clearance.  :yow  I wish I had checked the valves last year. Current mileage is 62,567 miles. That #1 exhaust valve took a 2.15 mm shim to give me .012", so I still have three shims sizes before new valve seats.

Will these tools also work for the K1100? Or are they even needed for that bike? Thanks.
  • Bellefontaine, OH
  • 1997 K1100LT

Offline Brick_hack

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2659 on: May 08, 2017, 11:32:41 AM »
No they will not, those tools are for 2V bikes, adjusting the valves on a 4V is a totally different thing - and honestly not something most of us mere humans can undertake - I know I would never try it anyway.

Okay, thanks!
  • Bellefontaine, OH
  • 1997 K1100LT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2660 on: May 08, 2017, 11:43:21 AM »
Although the shims on the 4 valve engines don't normally need changing it's a really good idea to check them and record the clearances from time to time just in case they do start to wear for some reason.  Definitely encourages peace of mind.

I don't remember what the service interval is, but 20,000 miles probably isn't bad.  For most of us, that works out to every two years.  Do it in the years between coolant changes.  If you're not changing buckets, it's one of those maintenance jobs that doesn't cost anything to do.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Brick_hack

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2661 on: May 08, 2017, 11:45:27 AM »
Although the shims on the 4 valve engines don't normally need changing it's a really good idea to check them and record the clearances from time to time just in case they do start to wear for some reason.  Definitely encourages peace of mind.

I don't remember what the service interval is, but 20,000 miles probably isn't bad.  For most of us, that works out to every two years.  Do it in the years between coolant changes.  If you're not changing buckets, it's one of those maintenance jobs that doesn't cost anything to do.

Thank you. Looking back at the maintenance history it looks like they were done at 43,000 miles and had two valves adjusted. I'm at 53K now, so I guess I'll have to get ready to check them again soon. It's a bit of a hassle to do because I have to take the sidecar frame off to do it since it bolts through the fairing, preventing me from removing it to access the valve cover.
  • Bellefontaine, OH
  • 1997 K1100LT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2662 on: May 08, 2017, 02:06:57 PM »
I don't remember what the service interval is, but 20,000 miles probably isn't bad.  For most of us, that works out to every two years.
Looking back at the maintenance history it looks like they were done at 43,000 miles and had two valves adjusted. I'm at 53K now, so I guess I'll have to get ready to check them again soon.
Does your maintenance history tell you whether they were intake or exhaust valves and whether they were too tight or too loose, Brick_hack?

BMW recommends 16,000 mile intervals, Chris Harris says they are unlikely to get too tight on a 16 valve engine and loose is ok, so 20,000 miles seems a reasonable interval to begin an obsession about them. You've got 10,000 miles to go until that benchmark.
 :yippee:

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Brick_hack

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2663 on: May 08, 2017, 02:17:51 PM »
Does your maintenance history tell you whether they were intake or exhaust valves and whether they were too tight or too loose, Brick_hack?

BMW recommends 16,000 mile intervals, Chris Harris says they are unlikely to get too tight on a 16 valve engine and loose is ok, so 20,000 miles seems a reasonable interval to begin an obsession about them. You've got 10,000 miles to go until that benchmark.
 :yippee:

I just sent the PO an email asking because the maintenance history doesn't state. The valves are ticking away though, so hopefully they were set loose when they were adjusted. One of these days when I'm feeling motivated, I'll remove the sidecar and frame so I can check them. That's going to suuuuuuuuck!!  :musicboohoo:
  • Bellefontaine, OH
  • 1997 K1100LT

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #2664 on: May 08, 2017, 02:38:54 PM »
That's going to suuuuuuuuck!!  :musicboohoo:
How does your rig interfere with removing the camshaft cover? I can't picture that. Anyway, if you think it will suck, it will probably suck—character building though, maybe.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Brick_hack

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2665 on: May 08, 2017, 02:46:59 PM »
How does your rig interfere with removing the camshaft cover? I can't picture that.

I'll grab some pictures when I get home. It also makes getting to the air filter a PITA.
  • Bellefontaine, OH
  • 1997 K1100LT

Offline The Dude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2666 on: May 08, 2017, 04:22:23 PM »
How does your rig interfere with removing the camshaft cover? I can't picture that. Anyway, if you think it will suck, it will probably suck—character building though, maybe.
I'm trying to picture this.
Best put the chair on the other side,surely. :hehehe if you drive on the right.
Am I missing something again?
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #2667 on: May 08, 2017, 04:55:42 PM »
Am I missing something again?
All will be revealed in the fullness of time. :oldguy:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline MIbrick

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2668 on: May 08, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
Today I attached the license plate and stored the registration and proof of insurance in the tail compartment.  :clap:
  • Michigan
  • 1986 K100RS (ohne Tragkorb)

Offline The Dude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2669 on: May 08, 2017, 07:32:48 PM »
All will be revealed in the fullness of time. :oldguy:
Ahhh."Airfilter access".Yeah that would be bad,if...
I thought I'd heard of mirror image versions just then 'till the fug cleared.Oh well.
Valve inspection could be easier than you think.
Unless,of course,I am still missing ....

• Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #2670 on: May 08, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »
Unless,of course,I am still missing ....
It could be easier than he thinks and more difficult than we think. It might have been a faith-based project.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline kmev

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2671 on: May 10, 2017, 07:32:08 PM »
I rode an hour and a half in a 50 degree Fahrenheit rain. I love my Aerostich gear more every day.
  • Madison, Wisconsin
  • 1994 K75s

Offline idahoblueskies

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2672 on: May 12, 2017, 06:47:44 PM »
First fix on my new to me K75...  the front brake light switch wire was broken at the switch, and the light wasn't coming on with the brake. I whittled the molded rubber off of the wire and switch, soldered the wires back on, and sealed it up with shrink tube. Works fine now.
  • 1995 K75

Offline wayside

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2673 on: May 13, 2017, 11:20:06 AM »
install'n new fuel pump! lots of good info on you tube.
  • wind lake wi
  • 1990 K75s

Offline bmwpyro

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2674 on: May 15, 2017, 01:11:54 AM »

in the last few months, cleaned, repaired, lined the tank, fixed the level sensor, replace all the gas lines, replaced filter, put in a new fan, fixed the fairing sag issue. still have a lot to the list. wish i had more time... this weekend mainly working on the fan replacement. it was a tight fit but it worked.

Thanks to all the folks here for their help and knowledge.

added another view.
  • Azusa, CA
  • 1985 K100RS, 1990 K75S
Always Learning...
Always something new to learn about riding and Kbikes...
"Viam inveniam aut faciam"