Author Topic: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?  (Read 1909344 times)

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #2300 on: August 21, 2016, 08:58:07 PM »
Bizz not sure if all of the following applies to a K1100 but might want to check the fuel regulator pressure if out can cause rich running. also might want to check the mixture if you don't have access to an exhaust gas analyzer you can use the posted lean drop method. A quick check on the mixture can be done by pressing the starter button with the engine going and idling at 1000 Rpm. The revs should increase slightly about 50 Rpm if it is right. If it increases dramatically or dies, it is out and will need to be done. May also want to synchronize the air bypass screws which will require a 3 vacuum gauge setup. There are post on how to make one using tubing and ATM fluid. Somebody will know whether any of this applies.
Good luck regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline bizzaro

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • co pilot
« Reply #2301 on: August 21, 2016, 10:00:13 PM »
Yea...16 valve k with a catalytic converter nullifies most of that, but thanks.  Searching the net now for info.  Done the throttle body sync several times. I will study up on how to test the fuel regulator.   When I had the fuel line off, it was a steady stream, not a lot of force.  I'll keep plug n away.  I want it right.

I tried out a K1100RS the other day and man.........................freaken sweet!!! The motor was smooth as butter. I mean unbelievable smooth, powerful, and even. Not the slightest stutter or hesitation.  Just smooth power!  WOW! !Drive train perfect.  Hardly any slack at all. Shifted like magic. OMG! I would have bought it cept I can't sit in that position for long.  My wrists hurt before I left the driveway! But my god what a tight machine that was.
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline Martin

« Reply #2302 on: August 21, 2016, 11:01:25 PM »
Biz you can always change the angle of the bars. When I got my k75S 19 years ago on tight turns you trapped your thumbs against the tank. Over the years the bars have been progressively moved up and back as I've aged. They are probably close to LT level now. Next stage will be Harley pull back bars. Trying to work out how to fit a recliner chair when I hopefully hit 100. :hehehe
Regards Martin.

Offline bizzaro

• co pilot
« Reply #2303 on: August 21, 2016, 11:08:03 PM »
Yea, I was wondering if the bars would switch out. I am so glad I drove this bike.  Now I know what the standard is.  But I don't have the $!  I drove all over Maine looking at K's this Saturday.  If I had not driven that bike, I may have mistakenly made a purchase!

But really I just want the motor and drive train.  The guy is not driving it.. I can just sneak over there some night and trade um out with mine!  He will never know! :clap: :hehehe
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline Martin

« Reply #2304 on: August 21, 2016, 11:23:30 PM »
If it's not the same colour you may have to paint it to get away with the swap. Should be OK unless his Guide dog smells a rat. :hehehe
Regards Martin.

Offline BlitzenGruv

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • My first BMW. Been riding old British forever..
« Reply #2305 on: August 22, 2016, 04:39:06 AM »
Both sides' signals or just one side's signal?

Both sides.
Signals flash at the normal rate, but only as long as the button is held down.
  • Crossville, TN
  • '92 K100rs, 16v, '71 BSA Lightning, '72 Triumph Bonneville, '72 Triumph Trident
You say I'm schizophrenic, but I don't believe we are.

Offline herseyb

« Reply #2306 on: August 22, 2016, 12:13:40 PM »
popped the transmission, drive shaft and final drive off and lubed all my splines this weekend. I  had some great pictures till my phone died this morning.  :'(    Now I don't even know my girlfriends phone number anymore.

only sign of wear was on my final drive, where it looked a little more worn than when I did final drive only lube last year.
1 or 2 mm more, maybe up to half a cm of wear deep.

Went with the honda lube last year, guard dog this year.  Hopefully the guard dog stays in place a little better cause the honda had all slung off for the most part...  I want my baby to live forever! 

Wear pattern was even on all the teeth, triangular taper from the front leading edge.

First time, 4 hours off, 6 hours on, with occasional oversight from my mechanic buddy.  Needed his help to get the bell housing back on - wouldn't fit for shit until we turned the crankshaft a little bit.  then it slipped right on, easy peasy. 

These BMWs are nice... If it ain't screwing together with your fingers, something isn't right.
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline The Dude

« Reply #2307 on: August 22, 2016, 02:35:28 PM »
BlitzenGruv,
It could be  a "latching"relay not latching any more.The cancelling switch would open circuit the relay closing coil to release the contacts...in my simple world.
Still,they're now idiot proof.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline BlitzenGruv

« Reply #2308 on: August 23, 2016, 04:17:55 AM »
Thanks Dude.
I suppose the "latching relay" is a part of the flasher unit. Looking at the wiring diagram, it's not your generic 3-terminal flasher unit.
Could also be water in the RH switch causing the cancel button to short or stick. The bike got rained on shortly before my last ride.
  • Crossville, TN
  • '92 K100rs, 16v, '71 BSA Lightning, '72 Triumph Bonneville, '72 Triumph Trident

Offline The Dude

« Reply #2309 on: August 23, 2016, 02:36:09 PM »
Yeah,we can"assume" these mysteries are way more complicated.Most of my Gremlins self sort but I do give them time to do that.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline BlitzenGruv

« Reply #2310 on: August 23, 2016, 03:39:11 PM »
My suspicions were correct. The cancel button sticks a bit.
Shoot a little WD in there and all will be well.
  • Crossville, TN

Offline Nine80seven

« Reply #2311 on: August 25, 2016, 03:39:45 PM »
Final report on knock, knick, tick tock glitch felt through the bars etc. after warm up, '85 KRS, early.  As mentioned before been working through the systems, all cleaned up, love the bike, ergo good.  The one thing I never did was get a decent set TB balancers. 

Previous dealer service records were very strange with wacky comp. numbers, wackier valve adj., loose wires and such.  Front brakes soaked in fork oil, rear MC leaking, all around ridiculous.  And that's when I figured the TB balance was prolly wacko.  And it was.

Balanced them last evening, went for a spin this morgan and the knock knick is gone.  There is still a small miss when hot and sitting after ride, and I throttle through full RPM range.  As if maybe I got a tiny leak either intake plenum to exhaust manifold.  Almost imperceptible. 

So with this brick the TBs were way out of sync and now it's running 98 percent better.  Tickled blue here.  Now gotta change out rear shocks on my other brick, the old red Volvo. 

This is the coolest damn rig I think I ever had.  A scoot with aplomb, grace and torque.
  • MN
  • 85 K100RS

Offline motorheadsdiygarage

• Knowledge is Power
  • Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2312 on: August 26, 2016, 10:23:35 AM »
1. Replaced the clutch cable (outer casing cracked).
2. Replaced the cracked vent line from the crankcase to the Air Box.
  • Near Montreal Canada
  • 1992 BMW K75S

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2313 on: August 26, 2016, 10:40:27 AM »
1. Replaced the clutch cable (outer casing cracked).
2. Replaced the cracked vent line from the crankcase to the Air Box.
Good photos!
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline K1300S

« Reply #2314 on: August 26, 2016, 11:48:51 AM »
Final report on knock, knick, tick tock glitch felt through the bars etc. after warm up, '85 KRS, early.  As mentioned before been working through the systems, all cleaned up, love the bike, ergo good.  The one thing I never did was get a decent set TB balancers. 

Previous dealer service records were very strange with wacky comp. numbers, wackier valve adj., loose wires and such.  Front brakes soaked in fork oil, rear MC leaking, all around ridiculous.  And that's when I figured the TB balance was prolly wacko.  And it was.

Balanced them last evening, went for a spin this morgan and the knock knick is gone.  There is still a small miss when hot and sitting after ride, and I throttle through full RPM range.  As if maybe I got a tiny leak either intake plenum to exhaust manifold.  Almost imperceptible. 

So with this brick the TBs were way out of sync and now it's running 98 percent better.  Tickled blue here.  Now gotta change out rear shocks on my other brick, the old red Volvo. 

This is the coolest damn rig I think I ever had.  A scoot with aplomb, grace and torque.

and hence when anyone says the brick isn't running right for any reason, the first thing to do is go step by step through the balance and tune process.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline RobP

« Reply #2315 on: August 29, 2016, 08:13:32 PM »
Going for an '89 cylinder head transplant

Nine80:

Is the '89 a 16V head?   Can you put that on a '85 8V block?   

What type of exhaust are you running on your K100RS?  I need to find a replacement for my stock exhaust - it must have a broken internal baffle and it has a very annoying, high pitched vibration at certain RPMs.

Beautiful bike, BTW.
  • Driftwood, TX
  • 1985 K100RS

Offline Nine80seven

« Reply #2316 on: August 29, 2016, 08:35:46 PM »
My '89 LT head is a two valve.  Exhaust is standard pipes into a Staintune muffler, NLA.  '89 head is on the spare parts shelf for now as the bike is running good. 
  • MN
  • 85 K100RS

Offline jaxon

« Reply #2317 on: August 30, 2016, 11:14:34 PM »
I found my K75S was running rather weird. Felt like a slight surging (unsteady RPM) at speed and occasional pops on decel. I pulled the plugs and found autolites in the bike, replaced it with the NKG ones. The autolites were kinda grubby. Still felt weird and unresponsive. Looked at the Crankcase Breather and noticed a fine crack halfway through it. I had anticipated rubber bits and ordered one and swapped it out. That crack certainly wasn't clearly evident on first viewing.

Made a first attempt to sync the throttle body. Seem pretty even to me.

More to do's on the way.
  • Indiana
  • '92 K75S, '17 R1200GS LC
--
This space for rent

Offline BlitzenGruv

« Reply #2318 on: August 31, 2016, 06:06:43 AM »
I added a camera.

No way to use the handlebar mount which came with the camera, so I had to improvise. Parts cost about $8.
  • Crossville, TN

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #2319 on: August 31, 2016, 10:14:35 PM »
Now that is sure nuff red neck engineering! Very clever! :clap:
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline White Dog

« Reply #2320 on: September 01, 2016, 09:06:02 PM »
Recently installed an Emgo trunk and new rear disc brake pads.
  • Basement Garage
  • '95 K75 ABS.
'95 K75 ABS Red
'96 R1100RT Burnt Orange
2008 Goldwing Black
2014 CB1100 Std. Black
Reside in NC

Offline K1300S

« Reply #2321 on: September 01, 2016, 09:16:46 PM »
I added a bath towel rack
 Parts cost about $8.

fixed that for ya!   :-)
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline Bill

« Reply #2322 on: September 01, 2016, 09:22:20 PM »
Fitted a new Metzler Lasertec front to my '88. Came with one 5k km ago not new so I'm not sure what the total life was.... New one feels great ! and I'm no longer checking the rain forecast. :riding:
  • Sutton, Ontario, Canada
  • K100 LT
Current:  88 K100 LT

86 K100 R-?L?T parts collection in loose formation...

previous:
84 V45 Sabre
74 CB400
72 CB750

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2323 on: September 02, 2016, 04:41:08 PM »
Replaced bad valve stem.  Ahhh, my mechanical and carpentry talents combine to make a PITA job a 2 beer minor chore
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Martin

« Reply #2324 on: September 02, 2016, 04:52:58 PM »
 :clap:Love lateral thinking.