Author Topic: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?  (Read 1909369 times)

Offline Opie

• Motobrick Curious
Re: What Did You Do To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #325 on: April 29, 2012, 12:48:47 PM »
Decided to change my left bag lock to a hasp lock like I did on the tailpac and other saddlebag.  Those pot metal originals suk.  While I had the implements of destruction out I removed those baggage straps that have been stretched out and worthless since the 80's.  All they have done for the last 20 years is tangle up my extra bungee cords.  Why the hell didn't I think of that when Bush senior was in office :loco:?

What's that thing with the yellow handle at the top?

By the way, your bags look very different from mine.   I've got long plastic "hinges" at the bottom of each bag.   I also see an original clasp in your photo and mine (still original, but repaired) don't look quite the same.   What year is your K?

Offline Inge K.

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #326 on: April 29, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »
What's that thing with the yellow handle at the top?

Pop rivet gun...............time to run and buy.
The bag is the first generation side bag for the K.
And non genuine hinges................

Inge K.
  • Norway

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #327 on: April 29, 2012, 01:31:25 PM »
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline billday

« Reply #328 on: April 29, 2012, 08:43:41 PM »
Dropped it on its side while drowsily trying to put it up on the center stand. I thought I was rocking it over onto the starboard foot when in fact I was rocking it past the starboard foot. Then physics took over and it just fell away from me... bummer... need a new mirror but otherwise no damage.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline BillyMac

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #329 on: April 29, 2012, 09:10:17 PM »
After taking advantage of the nice weather and going for a ride to Super Burger  :yes Removed the belly pan, filled in some chip/scrapes, cleaned it and roughed it up for a poor-man's-ruggedizing with home-done truck liner(if it doesn't come out up to par I'll end up taking it to Line-X to get it done by a professional)

Debating whether or not to replace the grill/grid with something different. Currently putting a fresh coat on the existing one, but looking at some alternatives.
1990 BMW K75 - Current
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza 180

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #330 on: April 29, 2012, 09:23:27 PM »
Tip: Clean the paint well and use a good primer.  I tried the rattle-can truck bed liner once it was f'd up within a week.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline BillyMac

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #331 on: April 29, 2012, 09:45:08 PM »
Roger. Good to know. I was just going to rough the paint up and blast away without any primer.
1990 BMW K75 - Current

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #332 on: April 29, 2012, 09:52:23 PM »
The LineX stuff is a lot better.  It's a two head spray with a resin and a hardener (like an epoxy) that cures in just a couple of minutes and is amazingly tough.  I knocked off one of my LineX'd side cases off filtering at a stop light in SF (was too used to city cases) and you can't even tell that it ever hit the pavement.
Buy parts here.

Offline wmax351

Re: Checked my Valve Clearances
« Reply #333 on: April 29, 2012, 09:58:11 PM »
Today, I checked the valve clearances on my 92  K75s.    The center exhaust valve was way out of spec at 0.08mm.   :eek2:

Spec is 0.25mm to 0.30mm.

SO... does anybody have a box of shims and the valve shim tools they'd like to loan out?     :dunno2:

I used a screwdriver to press down the cup, and a set of pliers to pull out the shim. Then measure the shim (or read the numbers on it), then figure out the new size needed. The BMW dealer (or your local indie wrench) will have them in stock. Kawasaki and Yamaha dealers also have ones that will fit: they are 29 mm.  I think a KLR650 is the right shim type.

• Albuquerque, NM
  • 91 BMW K75 Standard, 98 Moto Guzzi California EV
Bikes:
Current:1991 BMW K75 Standard, 1998 Moto Guzzi California EV11
Past: '83 BMW R65LS, '75 Honda CB550F, '69 Honda CB175, 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V, 1971 BMW R75/5 in Toaster outfit, 1979 Harley Davidson XLS-1000 Sportster Roadster

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #334 on: April 29, 2012, 10:28:10 PM »
Quote from: wmax35I
think a KLR650 is the right shim type.

KLR parts on a Beemer?  :yow  Shame on you. :giggles
Buy parts here.

Offline wmax351

« Reply #335 on: April 30, 2012, 12:55:53 AM »
Quote from: wmax35I
think a KLR650 is the right shim type.

KLR parts on a Beemer?  :yow  Shame on you. :giggles

Haha. I wouldn't do it, as there is a nearby bmw dealer. Blasphemy. But BMW riders are resourceful.

Ironically, the KLR shims are actually more expensive than the BMW ones.
  • Albuquerque, NM
Bikes:
Past: '83 BMW R65LS, '75 Honda CB550F, '69 Honda CB175, 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V, 1971 BMW R75/5 in Toaster outfit, 1979 Harley Davidson XLS-1000 Sportster Roadster

Offline sh00ter

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #336 on: May 01, 2012, 10:12:09 AM »
Bled the rear brakes, traded some nice brownish liquid for some pretty clear stuff.   About a half bottle's worth.

Anyone know if the back brakes have any "tune-ability" once they're bled, working properly (meaning they stop the tire, if you push hard, abs kicks in, etc).  I wish it was just a little more responsive near the top of it's travel, vs having to push it a bit before the brake really bites.  Maybe that's just how she goes.  Anyway .. just about done with all the maintenance for the year - front bleeding and coolant flush left to go.
'94 1100 RS

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #337 on: May 01, 2012, 10:15:38 AM »
You don't want the rear brake too sensitive or tight, you could end up with a "hot foot" literally. Just ask Drake or Mystic.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline sh00ter

« Reply #338 on: May 01, 2012, 10:16:29 AM »
You don't want the rear brake too sensitive or tight, you could end up with a "hot foot" literally. Just ask frankenduck or Mystic.

I"ll take that; like I said it does the job just fine; was more just curious if it was runnin right ... thx for the response!   :2thumbup:
'94 1100 RS

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
« Reply #339 on: May 01, 2012, 10:26:30 AM »
Anyone know if the back brakes have any "tune-ability" once they're bled, working properly (meaning they stop the tire, if you push hard, abs kicks in, etc).

Noooooo! :nono
Almost burnt mine to the ground. :laugh

Offline sh00ter

« Reply #340 on: May 01, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »
Anyone know if the back brakes have any "tune-ability" once they're bled, working properly (meaning they stop the tire, if you push hard, abs kicks in, etc).

Noooooo! :nono
Almost burnt mine to the ground. :laugh

:laugh Understood.  Thou shalt not try to tune thy rear brakes once they are bled and working.
'94 1100 RS

Offline Opie

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #341 on: May 01, 2012, 11:45:42 AM »
I used a screwdriver to press down the cup, and a set of pliers to pull out the shim. Then measure the shim (or read the numbers on it), then figure out the new size needed. The BMW dealer (or your local indie wrench) will have them in stock. Kawasaki and Yamaha dealers also have ones that will fit: they are 29 mm.  I think a KLR650 is the right shim type.

Shims are shims, but I'm too chicken to try the screwdriver method.     Special tools are in the mail.   Hopefully they'll arrive today.   :eek:

Offline wmax351

« Reply #342 on: May 01, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »

Shims are shims, but I'm too chicken to try the screwdriver method.     Special tools are in the mail.   Hopefully they'll arrive today.   :eek:

I'm probably going to make the tools this summer. Shouldn't be a big deal.
  • Albuquerque, NM
Bikes:

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #343 on: May 01, 2012, 01:42:47 PM »
shOOter:  I like having the some play in the rear brake peddle until the brakes kick in, it's useful for getting tailgaters off your butt or when you're engine braking and there's a car behind you because you can light up the brake light without actually braking.
Buy parts here.

Offline BillyMac

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #344 on: May 01, 2012, 01:49:41 PM »
Topped off the transmission fluid with the Mobil 1 75-140(was feeling a little "clunky" so I figured I'd follow advice). It's a new clutch plate, and I'm new to Ks, so I'm wondering how much of a learning curve/break-in period it's going to be. I'm getting better with the shifting, but I do end up with false neutrals every once in a while(I try to minimize any kind of grinding getting back into gear because I hate to think of the damage I might cause). It has gotten better since I started "pre-loading" the shift lever a bit before shifting up.

Added some Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner, and Engine Restorer(oil change was recent, so just added a bit to the current mix).
1990 BMW K75 - Current

Offline sh00ter

« Reply #345 on: May 01, 2012, 02:01:10 PM »
shOOter:  I like having the some play in the rear brake peddle until the brakes kick in, it's useful for getting tailgaters off your butt or when you're engine braking and there's a car behind you because you can light up the brake light without actually braking.

that's a good call; i find myself "flashing" the folks behind me with the brake from time to time; didn't really occur to me that i'd lose that with a "nose through the windshield" type sensitive brake ... cheers!
'94 1100 RS

Offline pallum

« Reply #346 on: May 01, 2012, 08:37:06 PM »
Made a last ditch effort last night to fix a leaking master cylinder with some scotch pad honing:

Yes, that is a piece of scotch pad stapled to a pencil chucked in a drill  :loco:

Before:

High res

After:

High res

It was already leaking, so I couldn't really make my situation any worse by trying, right?  :dunno2: In the end, it didn't work (surprise!).
  • Federal Way, WA
1994 K75RT 45,000 miles (Apr 2020)

Offline sh00ter

« Reply #347 on: May 01, 2012, 09:44:46 PM »
Bled front brakes.  Lots of brown fluid out into the brake-o-matic.   :yes

'94 1100 RS

Offline thebob

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • K100RS
« Reply #348 on: May 01, 2012, 10:57:44 PM »
It was already leaking, so I couldn't really make my situation any worse by trying, right?  :dunno2: In the end, it didn't work (surprise!).

pallum even in the photo I can see deep corrosion that isn't going to buff out. In an extreme emergency you could fill those scars with epoxy, just to get you home, but I can see a new master cylinder in your future.

Brake systems are one place you should not be trying to make do and mend!
1984 K100RS Japan Motobrick!

Offline pallum

« Reply #349 on: May 01, 2012, 11:07:44 PM »

Quote from: thebob
but I can see a new master cylinder in your future

Already got one on the line, just tried this for the hell of it.
  • Federal Way, WA
1994 K75RT 45,000 miles (Apr 2020)