Author Topic: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?  (Read 1909358 times)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: What Did You Did To Your Motobrick Today ?
« Reply #3950 on: January 20, 2020, 02:28:24 PM »
Shitcanned a ton of parts, coils, mirrors, switches grips, fairing parts, etc, etc.  Taking up too much room. 

Thought about selling them, but that's a pain in the ass.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3951 on: January 20, 2020, 02:53:02 PM »
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Soggz

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • 2 wheels are better than 4,but 4 wheels,2 bikes...
« Reply #3952 on: January 20, 2020, 04:53:27 PM »
Hi all.
Long time.
Got mine out of the garage today. Bit too icy to risk taking it out. Gave it a good clean, waiting for warmer weather. Hope your all well, and a belated Happy New Year.
  • Down in Selwood Forest
  • 1986 K75C, 1982 Honda CX500EC Eurostreetbrat
One More Of These,One Less Of Those...

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #3953 on: January 20, 2020, 05:10:43 PM »
Shitcanned a ton of parts, coils, mirrors, switches grips, fairing parts, etc, etc.  Taking up too much room. 

Thought about selling them, but that's a pain in the ass.

Quick!  A map to your shitcan!
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline daveson

« Reply #3954 on: January 21, 2020, 03:41:56 AM »
Hi Soggz,

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, this is the first year I'm waiting for summer to finish so I can get more riding days in, too many too hot days.  It's probably a combination of summers getting hotter and me getting older.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline Soggz

« Reply #3955 on: January 21, 2020, 09:37:01 AM »
Hi Soggz,

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, this is the first year I'm waiting for summer to finish so I can get more riding days in, too many too hot days.  It's probably a combination of summers getting hotter and me getting older.
Hows all the fire situation over there? I see it on the news.Is it near you?
  • Down in Selwood Forest

Offline daveson

« Reply #3956 on: January 21, 2020, 02:17:27 PM »
The fires aren't in this area,  but summer has just started. The fires didn't even wait for summer this year. People are complaining about the smoke,  strangely I like the smell of the smoke, reminds me of my first job when I left school, a fire fighter with the Forrest's Commission (supposedly they have a life expectancy ten years less than average cause of the smoke over the years)
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline Soggz

« Reply #3957 on: January 21, 2020, 03:33:27 PM »
The fires aren't in this area,  but summer has just started. The fires didn't even wait for summer this year. People are complaining about the smoke,  strangely I like the smell of the smoke, reminds me of my first job when I left school, a fire fighter with the Forrest's Commission (supposedly they have a life expectancy ten years less than average cause of the smoke over the years)
Go careful.
  • Down in Selwood Forest

Offline caveman

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #3958 on: January 22, 2020, 05:07:48 AM »
  • Kennerdell, PA.
  • 87 K100RT, 88 K100LT

Offline koapono

« Reply #3959 on: March 01, 2020, 10:13:54 AM »
replaced bobbins and rollers on the 1100's front rotors and a new set of Pirelli Diablos installed
  • prince george, VA (25 miles south of richmond)
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline BlitzenGruv

• My first BMW. Been riding old British forever..
« Reply #3960 on: March 07, 2020, 02:03:11 AM »
I haven't done much of anything since I pull new rubber on the bike and greased the splines. Took a ride last month over to see a friend in Kingston. Took the long way, past the Watts Bar dam, one of TVA's smaller dams, more about flood control than power generation.
Took the interstate back from Kingston. The brick is like a little kid, keeps saying, "faster daddy, go faster."
I do need to replace the bobbins on the front discs, there's a lot of slop there.
  • Crossville, TN
  • '92 K100rs, 16v, '71 BSA Lightning, '72 Triumph Bonneville, '72 Triumph Trident
You say I'm schizophrenic, but I don't believe we are.

Offline koapono

« Reply #3961 on: March 07, 2020, 07:31:32 AM »
Replaced steering head bearings, finally!
The 1100 has been "self-centering" for a while, noticeable at red-lights and low speed. At first I attributed it to the front tire as the condition disappeared at speed but a new tire nixed that theory!
A defined notch or index developed, easily noticed with front wheel elevated. The wheel would not swing freely from side to side, there was a flat-spot felt as the wheel passed from one side to the other.
I reckoned this to be an unpleasant task but if you have the skills required to change a clutch, rear-main seal or successfully reassemble dismantled components you should prevail if you decide to undertake this task.
Chris Harris also has some outstanding videos that reference this task, informative and amusing to boot.
I left the fairing and windshield in place but did remove the fuel tank, this gave me plenty of room to wrestle with the upper, inner bearing race. I used a dremel tool to split the race on opposite sides and was then able to chisel it out of its seat.
I drove the lower race out with a drift punch and hammer.
The upper bearing was removed using a drift punch and driving the bearing off its stub shaft.
I applied some heat (MAPP bottle) to lower bearing and it lifted off its seat after one hammer and chisel blow.
reassembly involved placing the steering shaft and inner races in the freezer for a few hours and the bearings in a 400 degree (F) oven for an hour or so. I heated the steering tube (frame) with a heat gun until it was hot to the touch and the chilled inner races nearly fell into place. They both required some mild force (hammer and wooden block) to get them fully seated.
The heated bearings required minimal force to get them seated. A piece of 1 inch pipe fit nicely upon the inner rim of the bearing and a couple hammer blows drove them home.
reassembly is straight forward as is adjusting proper bearing play, lots of video out there.
You'll require a full kit of tools, some mechanical experience and an understanding spouse (freezer and oven use) to tackle this project.
  • prince george, VA (25 miles south of richmond)
  • 1994 K1100LT

• Administrator
« Reply #3962 on: March 07, 2020, 08:22:11 AM »
Hey, Blitz, good to hear your brick is finally running well.  Hope the tornado gave you a wide berth.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline BlitzenGruv

« Reply #3963 on: March 07, 2020, 07:04:40 PM »
Yes, the brick runs well, I just don't ride it that often. The Triumphs are much better on the twisty roads around here. I do plan to take the brick on some camping weekends once the nice weather returns. I also need to patch some cracks in the fairing, again once the warm weather returns. BTW: Is that enamel or lacquer paint?
The tornado only got as close as the county line. I drove back from Nashville on 70N just last Sunday, a beautiful stretch of road. Not so beautiful now.
I'll be driving to Nashville tomorrow for a club meeting. I'm afraid that all of my favorite bars are gone.
  • Crossville, TN
  • '92 K100rs, 16v, '71 BSA Lightning, '72 Triumph Bonneville, '72 Triumph Trident

Offline Hilltopper46

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3964 on: March 07, 2020, 07:39:46 PM »
Started the brick and ran it until the fan kicked on and then I changed the oil. Checked the other fluid levels and aired up the tires and rode it 10 miles.

Things I learned about the brick today:

- leaving the fill cap off the valve cover, even for a few seconds to let the oil filter fill and the oil light to go out, results in a significant spatter distribution across the side of the bike and the seat  boohoo.

- Mobil 1 runs out of the bike a lot faster than it runs back into the bike in 50 degree weather.  If I had known I was going to change the oil I would have brought the can into the house and set it by the heater for a day.

- the second smallest  of the 4-pack of Harbor Freight oil filter wrenches fits the NAPA Gold filter that fits the bike - none of them fit the Carquest filter that came out of it.

Reminded again of what a really nice ride that motorcycle is.
  • East Troy, WI
  • 1995 K1100LT
Current bike - 1995 K1100LT - It RUNS!. You says Plum, DMV says Purple, BMW says Navana Violet.

Previously: 1982 XJ650 Yamaha, 1987 GoldWing, 1995 GoldWing, 2001 FLSTC, 2003 Goldwing

Offline Martin

« Reply #3965 on: March 31, 2020, 07:58:39 PM »
Decided to Coronarize the Brick. I went and bought some Sta-Bil. All non essential travel now banned if you don't have a good reason for being out and about a $1300.00 fine. Essential travel deemed as food, doctor, chemist and work if it is essential. The maximum legal distance I can go is 4 Km without risking a fine. I've got two supermarkets 2 Km away and two more at 4 Km away the doctor and the chemist are about 1 Km away. At those distances I can't even get the Brick warmed up. 177381 If I could find enough loo paper I suppose I could fill the tragkorbs and put white crosses on them and a couple on my helmet and back and set myself up as emergency loo paper supply. icon_cheers
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline BlitzenGruv

« Reply #3966 on: March 31, 2020, 09:03:03 PM »
Saturday was nice here so I rode the brick down to Fall Creek Falls, one of our more popular state parks. The park was open, but not the restrooms. Plenty of trees available though.
I saw very few cars on the road, but plenty of Hoglys. Made the loop up through Sparta and back home, about 100 miles total.
No lock down until today. Still, I couldn't find a bar open to finish the day properly.
Maybe by the time this is over I'll have the BSA back on the road.
  • Crossville, TN

Offline herseyb

« Reply #3967 on: April 01, 2020, 05:48:42 PM »
Fucking, put it up on the center stand with soft ground on the the right side and hard ground on the left side   177381 boohoo boohoo

What should I do? 

Tape the cracks close and superglue? 

Drill out the ends of the cracks?

Remove fairing, expand crack, add fiberglass patches to the back, bondo the front?

Cry?
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline Martin

« Reply #3968 on: April 01, 2020, 06:40:15 PM »
 177381 I've seen it happen with a mates bike twice after it rained overnight. I never deploy the centre stand on anything other than concrete or bitumen. I've also enlarged my side stand foot and carry a 5" post cap for the wet season. I'm now running a later straight leg stand with a thinner aluminium foot. Gryph will probably advise on fairing repair.
Regards Martin.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline BlitzenGruv

« Reply #3969 on: April 01, 2020, 06:57:03 PM »
I have a few booboos on my fairing. I have fixed a couple just as you describe. You must sand through the paint around the crack. Use Super Glue and masking tape to close the crack, then fiberglass repair behind it. Depending on the size, use Bondo or spotting compound on the outside. Good luck matching the paint.
  • Crossville, TN

• Administrator
« Reply #3970 on: April 01, 2020, 07:38:29 PM »
Those arms around the windshield are pretty vulnerable, and I have had the opportunity to do repairs 3 times on them.  Your idea to remove the fairing is correct if you want to do the best job. 

To start, if you can flex the crack a bit to fill it with CA glue.  I use the stuff from the hobby shop that cures with a shot of catalyst.  Put a bunch on the crack, work it in and then give is a shot.  That will hold everything in place while you do the rest of the job.

On the back side remove the paint to at least 2 inches(3 would be better) away from the crack in every direction but not where it shows outside the inner trim.  Rough up the surface with 36 or 80 grit. 

Get some epoxy resin.  About a half pint of resin with hardener should be about right.  Fiberglass mat is messy to work with if you never did it before, but makes the strongest repair.  I usually use tape, the bound edges make it easier to get a neat repair.  Two inch wide should be good. 

A note about resin.  I used to use polyester, but learned that the material the fairings are made of has mold release wax in it that prevents a good bond.  Epoxy, on the other hand bonds a lot better.  The problem with epoxy is that it takes a lot longer to cure, and you have to arrange the work so you aren't putting the patch on a vertical surface.  That really isn't a big deal, just position the fairing with the front pointing down.  It will be a lot easier to work in that position as well.

Mix about two ounces of resin with catalyst, and let it sit for ten minutes while you cut the patches.  Three layers is about right, with the top layer covering the entire roughed up area and each layer below it a bit smaller that the one above. 

Put the patches on a scrap of plywood and saturate them with the resin.  They;re ready when the fiberglass is transparent.  Squeegee the excess resin out of the patches with a filler spreader before you put them on the repair.  Start with the smallest patch and go up, pushing the air out with a chip brush before putting down the next one.  Once they're all down, keep an eye on them to make sure they don't slide out of position.  You might have to keep messing with them for as long as 4-5 hours.  If the repair surface is horizontal, the chance of the patches sliding is almost zero.

When the patch has hardened, you can do the crack in the front.  Get an old fashioned beer can opener and sharpen the point.  Use it to widen out the crack to be about 2mm deep and 3mm wide.  Even though it's polyester based, I have had good results with DuraGlas filler.  Before you mix it and put it into the widened crack scrub out the inside of the crack with an old toothbrush dipped in acetone.  Mix the DuraGlas and work it well into the crack.  Build up the repair and after an overnight cure sand with 220 followed by 320.  Use a block to get a fair surface.  A scrap of wood will work.  A couple coats of light gray high build primer sanded with 320 should have the surface ready for paint.

• '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline herseyb

« Reply #3971 on: April 01, 2020, 08:02:00 PM »
I have had the opportunity to do repairs 3 times on them.

Right, no crying in baseball.  Opportunity mindset!  Intrepid motobricking will continue.  Thanks for the write up.  I think I have everything but the sand paper. 

Martin,  I am gonna work on a side stand foot as well seeing as I lack a paved driveway and garage. 
  • Brooklyn
  • '93 K1100RS

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #3972 on: April 01, 2020, 08:56:48 PM »
a country boy can survive...
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Martin

« Reply #3973 on: April 01, 2020, 09:01:47 PM »
Hersey my original side stand had heaps of lean angle. I used a slice of boat roller to get it at a better angle and an increased footprint. Tape the new foot onto the side stand and retract it a few times to make sure it is clearing everything before mounting it permanently. New stand foot didn't need to be thicker as lean angle was fine. The post cap comes in handy when really soggy ground is encountered, a mate used to carry a piece of thick ply on a string for the same purpose. The post cap however has multiple uses a container for soap and water mix when chasing tyre leaks, container for small parts when doing road side repairs, dog/Koala water dish, tip dish for impromptu busking, alms dish.
Regards Martin.

* Side Stand Mk2 version.jpg (38.68 kB . 768x576 - viewed 465 times)

• Administrator
« Reply #3974 on: April 01, 2020, 10:58:42 PM »
Soft ground cost me a $350 Hardly Fergusen saddle bag lid when Moby Brick Junior decided to get intimate with a friend's bike.   :johnny

I've found that the extreme lean angle of the Brick on it's sidestand is necessary to allow an old fart like me to be able to get my damn leg over the comfort seat when I'm wearing all my gear.  On the center stand, I have a 1'x2' chunk of 1/4" plywood that I throw under the bike when I put it on the center stand on my driveway.  Even on an asphalt driveway, the stands punch divots in the surface.

"Spit some beechnut in his eye".   Love that song.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past: