Author Topic: Re: K75 Mystery wires  (Read 839 times)

Offline triplek

• Motobrick Curious
Re: K75 Mystery wires
« on: July 18, 2022, 11:17:35 PM »
On one of my K's I have a huge number of cut wires that pass through the fairing mount. Note that I'm not holding the headlight wire and the horns are connected.  All of them look like OEM stock wiring. 

There is a possibility that it relates to the model, but I haven't run it down yet deep in the wiring harness.  No am/fm radio was installed, no antenna mount, etc.

Bike runs fine.

"Every time you criticize my grammar, I like you a little bit fewer."

1995 K75 RTP, 1995 K75 RT, 1993 K75, two K75 frames, 1 fully assembled engine from airbox to exhaust tip and enough fairings and  parts to build another K. Soon.  ;)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 07:57:25 AM »
What are the colors of the cut wires? They could be from an ABS system that was disconnected or entirely removed unless you still have a working ABS.  :laughing4-giggles: There might have been an anti-theft alarm in there, too.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 09:59:05 AM »
I see in your signature(this is why it's good to fill it in) that one of your bikes is a retired cop bike(K75RTP).  If that is the bike in question, those wires are for "official" lights, sirens, cop radio, and the switches to turn them on and off.  The parts list for the K75RT shows a bunch of extra wiring for cop bikes.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51743&rnd=07242017

(go to the sections for "Lighting" and "Alarms, Radios")

If you still have part number tags on the cut harnesses you could check the numbers against the parts list to confirm my theory.  I wouldn't be surprised if when the bike was retired the mechanic who removed the cop stuff just took wire cutters to the harness.  Won't do any good to look at the available wiring diagrams because they don't show the cop stuff.

Did the bike come with front and rear crash bars?  A lot of cop bikes had them, and the rear bars can be rather desirable, especially for someone wanting to do an "adventure brick" conversion.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline triplek

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 04:58:16 PM »
I'm not able to note the wire colors at the moment, but it is a police bike, and it does have the enourmous crash bars - front & rear.

I didn't believe it had been a real service bike so I'm a bit surprised that it was wired up in full, which as you point out seems more likely.

I'm equally shocked that someone would just hack off those heads and abandon them in place with exposed ends.

Are there any quick checks in the loom that confirm additional factory police harnesses?

1995 K75 RTP, 1995 K75 RT, 1993 K75, two K75 frames, 1 fully assembled engine from airbox to exhaust tip and enough fairings and  parts to build another K. Soon.  ;)

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 05:04:21 PM »
Remove the tank and examine the cables for silver part number flags that may be present.  You can then use the link I posted to go to the parts list to confirm they are part of the cop bike pyrotechnics.  Then you can trace them back to the relay box where they probably originate to remove them.  If you have the lights and horns that make the bike street legal working, you can safely remove all the cop wiring.

The cop mechanics aren't going to spend a lot of time removing the cop stuff.  all they need to do is make it so it can't be reinstalled, and cutting the wires of is a good way to do that.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline triplek

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 05:06:23 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the nudge and heads up in the right direction.

I believe lights and horns will function,  but have a lot of wiring work ahead - including splicing back in the clean cut headlight plug that left me near nothing to work with. 

Do all RTA police bikes always come with the pyrotechnics additional Hollywood light & sound wiring loom?  Or was it a two step order for 1st, the police bike single seat unit  and separately 2nd,  the accessories loom?

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 05:29:00 PM »
I wasn't around when these bikes were new, but I would guess that when an order came in, there was a standard package of accessories to equip the bike and a custom paint order.  Because of the paint, I would guess the bikes were a factory order.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2022, 07:12:58 PM »
The K75RTPs sold to the US have "Euro" wiring harnesses so you won't find the K75/K100 altitiude plug that non-P bikes sold in the US have.

There several "authorities" wiring harnesses here:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=0573-USA---K569-BMW-K%2075%20RT%20(0565,0573)&mg=63

Here's wiring diagrams for police lighting and siren:

The wide engine bars are for a siren:

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Tags: