Author Topic: Side case refurbishing  (Read 331 times)

Offline Atabeach

• Motobrick Curious
Side case refurbishing
« on: March 30, 2024, 05:31:57 PM »
Ok fellas, I’ve acquired some side cases that are painted and have two rubber protector thingies on the leading lower edge and bottom outside edge. These cases have keyed locks…The rubber was installed with some sort of double stick tape. 1) has anyone had success painting cases ( flat black would be my choice) 2) what tape did BMW use or similar…TIA.
  • Ponte Vedra Fl
  • 1994 k75, 2001 Harley Dyna, 1990 K75ssss, & my favorite 2006 Vespa LX150!

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Side case refurbishing
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 07:49:12 PM »
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Atabeach

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 09:06:33 AM »
Thanks guys! Im going with the Bedliner  stuff for durability!
  • Ponte Vedra Fl

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2024, 10:30:34 AM »
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Atabeach

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 05:43:17 PM »
Ok so I’m not happy with the finish of bedliner paint…Can I re visit Paint codes?  When I search the VIN # for my 1994 K75BA it shows Mystic rot ( red )…. I really thought it was  Marakesh because it’s a darker red…. I just meed touch up and possibly rattle can for cases….VIN # WB 1057102ro135158.
  • Ponte Vedra Fl

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 10:15:33 PM »
Ford Red Fire/Fire Red paint is a very good match.  It's what I used for touch up on my Mystic red K75RT.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Atabeach

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2024, 12:01:46 PM »
Ford Fire Red! Thanks Griff…ok so now the rubber thingies….the black roof cement stuff didn’t dry. 4 days. I removed the tar ( complete mess)….does anyone know what the original double stick tape was? Or anything else that would stick to the rubber? I’ve test tried silicone and poly based “Phenoseal”  caulk. ..it seemed to peel away from rubber rather easily….PS  not in the mood to do this again…. TIA.
  • Ponte Vedra Fl

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2024, 12:11:33 PM »
I have my bedliner professionally done by a Line-X shop. Their product is light years better than the rattle can stuff. They use a special dual "paint" nozzle that mixes the resin and hardener while spraying.

You can't tell the texture from the picture but this guy had his entire bike done in yellow Line-X:

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 09:25:08 AM »
It's possible to get catalyzed bed liner in a rattle can. Amazon search 2k bedliner.  It costs around $20-25 per can. It's a special kind of rattle can that has a seal on the bottom that needs to be broken to allow the catalyst to mix with the paint. It also all has to be used up within like a day because it will set in the can after the seals are broken. I used it to line the underside of my seat pan, underside of my rear fender, and underside of my engine spoiler. It's exactly like the stuff your pro uses and rhe finish looks really nice.

To OP...yes, mystic red is a dark red color
  • Austin TX
  • '93 k1100rs last 7 of vin-6495569
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 12:23:28 PM »
It's possible to get catalyzed bed liner in a rattle can. Amazon search 2k bedliner.  It costs around $20-25 per can. It's a special kind of rattle can that has a seal on the bottom that needs to be broken to allow the catalyst to mix with the paint. It also all has to be used up within like a day because it will set in the can after the seals are broken. I used it to line the underside of my seat pan, underside of my rear fender, and underside of my engine spoiler. It's exactly like the stuff your pro uses and rhe finish looks really nice.

To OP...yes, mystic red is a dark red color

If you put the unused paint in the freezer after you mix it, it will stay usable for at least a week.  When you take it out, heat the can under warm running water until the can feels warm and you're ready to go.  I have kept 2K clear coat for two weeks that way.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"
Agree Agree x 2 View List

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2024, 09:51:58 AM »
Very good to know. Thanks for the tip
  • Austin TX
  • '93 k1100rs last 7 of vin-6495569
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline PitchlerBrick

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2024, 09:41:57 AM »
Ford Fire Red! Thanks Griff…ok so now the rubber thingies….the black roof cement stuff didn’t dry. 4 days. I removed the tar ( complete mess)….does anyone know what the original double stick tape was? Or anything else that would stick to the rubber? I’ve test tried silicone and poly based “Phenoseal”  caulk. ..it seemed to peel away from rubber rather easily….PS  not in the mood to do this again…. TIA.

3M has the best double-stick tapes I've used. However, go to an industrial supply house like R.S. Hughes, Grainger, etc. and ask the person at the counter what they'd recommend. Strong and thin. The 3M tapes they offer are better than the Home Depot stuff.

Wish I had the rest of the roll, I'd send you some: a 3M sales rep gave me a sample roll once of the double stick they use to hold aircraft wings together, no rivets. I'd moved into a house where the previous very non-mechanically inclined owner locked the bars on the garage door, then hit the garage door opener button. The steel on the center structure pulled away from the door skin. Before calling in a repair guy I tried that tape, and it's still holding great after 20 years. There have been wild Central Texas temperature extremes on that bond line, over that time period!

Also, clean the heck out of both surfaces before you try to bond again. You might even light sand after using isopropyl alcohol, to put a fine texture into the surfaces, to allow more grip. Not too much texture, but a bit. Plastics are tricky, many are tough to bond.
  • '93 K75S w/Pitchler Fairing, Tri-Spoke, Corbin, 50 Amp Alt., OsideTiger Injectors, Catz XLO Lamps w/Auto Switch, Flip-A-Lever Cruise, Hyper-Lite rear brake flasher, EZ Touring cover

Tags: