Author Topic: K-bike tragkorbs?  (Read 14166 times)

Offline Oilhed

• Curious
K-bike tragkorbs?
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »
I'm looking at a few K-bike and some come with BMW bags, some don't.  Wondering how available and how expensive new BMW bags are.  I've seen smaller BMW City bags on a few Police models.  I think I may prefer them if they aren't rare or expensive.  If you are using some aftermarket bags speak up.  Of course pics of all are welcome.
Mark Flanagan

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: K-bike tragkorbs?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 03:23:06 PM »
for looks...

the rs motobrick looks best wth the multivario tank bag n the stock bmw bags n the stock 22 liter top case...

as for function...

still cant beat the stock setup...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:41:03 PM »
Same for the LT, me thinks, but some take exception to the trunk. I like it without the speaker set up and a Corbin back rest on it. 8)

Offline ok75

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:41:12 PM »
I've had both standard BMW bags and city cases . . . sold the city cases because they simply couldn't carry much at all and, in my opinion, didn't look as good as the standard touring bags. If you need cases (and you WILL need cases), look for a used set with a key(s) and no cracks. You can sand them and hit them with Duplicolor Bumper Coat spray paint and they look fantastic. From what I've seen, a good used set of standard touring bags goes for around $300. Hope that info helps, and best of luck on your search for a K bike!

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 12:16:53 AM »
City cases ROCK!  I have three sets.  They're top loading and excellent for running errands and lane-splitting.

Also, not sure if it's by design or not but they're the perfect height for a bottle of wine. ;D
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Oilhed

• Curious
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:17:06 AM »
City cases ROCK!  I have three sets.  They're top loading and excellent for running errands and lane-splitting.

Also, not sure if it's by design or not but they're the perfect height for a bottle of wine. ;D

Can u post a pic or two please?  Are they hard to find new or used?
Mark Flanagan

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 10:50:45 AM »
Somewhat hard to find used although they do come up on Fleabay or the IBMWR Marketplace occasionally.

To my knowledge you can no longer buy a set new.  However a couple of years ago I bought a new pair by purchasing the right and left separately.  It took a while to get them because they had to come from the fatherland.  You'd need to order a left case (part 46542316595), a right case (part 46542316596) and a set of four lock cores w/key. (part 46542315023)  Not sure if you can still order the lock cores but I know that you can get a set of six lock cores with key (part 51252303683) because I bought a set of them last week.

This is from a set that I picked up one at a time on Fleabay and then had Line-X'd to match the other Line-X on my K1100RS.  See the photo at the top of the page to see what they look like when mounted.  They use the same mounting "Z" racks as the full-sized integral cases.

At about $20/bottle, the Mondavi Napa Merlot is an excellent buy.  Be sure to get the Napa Valley stuff though, not their run-of-the-mill merlot.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline frodef

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • 1986 K75C
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 05:29:57 PM »
My K came with city cases, and I think they are quite good for everyday use. Just today I picked up a set of normal "touring" cases, so I guess I'll have a chance to compare now. They don't look so practical though, because I think stuff that's casually thrown in there will just fall out. But there's the extra volume, of course.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 08:37:59 PM »
They don't look so practical though, because I think stuff that's casually thrown in there will just fall out. But there's the extra volume, of course.

Cheap-n-easy system case upgrades   
Buy parts here.

Offline ibexonabike

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Ibex - Rugged & Capable
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 12:12:33 PM »
Hey Frankenduck, what was the $$ on Line-X -ing your cases/belly pan/ mirrors? I'm looking to totally copy a great idea (and freshen-up my bike).

1987 BMW K75C(T): Ibex
1988 Kawasaki EL 250 : Not-a-Ninja

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 02:30:44 PM »
Hey Frankenduck, what was the $$ on Line-X -ing your cases/belly pan/ mirrors? I'm looking to totally copy a great idea (and freshen-up my bike).

Belly Pan
Gas Cap
Two sets of integral case outers
Rear grab handles
Pair of RS mirrors

$250 - but I think they undercharged me as they are out of business now and I'm pretty sure that the other two local Line-X shops would have charged me more.

I had the knee pads done separately.  $10 because I showed up when the guy was doing another job and I just gave the dude doing the spraying $10 cash.  The other shop charged me $25 + tax.

FYI: I recently had a K75S belly pan done for $50.

Don't remember what the city case outers cost.
Buy parts here.

Offline Red

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • No man is great if he thinks he is___ Will Rogers
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 06:20:46 PM »
I've been out and about in greater S.F. Bay Area, California, USA looking for some rear hard bags for my '85 K100RS. I've lined up two seperate sets of rear bags ...

1. '84 K100RT stock set of rear hard bags complete, color black, keyed, somewhat weathered. Included is the Z rack holders for these bags. Cost is $100.00 for the set. At a $100.00 would we call this a "good" buy?

2. '93 K1100LT stock set hard bags complete, keyed, with all the emblems and rubber pad on cover. Case cover has been painted and has some scratches. I have not had a chance to see these bags up close yet, but from afar they are pretty dusty ... not dirty, just looks to have been sitting in the corner for a long time. I don't have the $ cost yet on this set of bags. We are talking ...

3. Can someone provide the pros and cons of these two sets of bags? Is one set better than the other? What is an acceptable $ cost for each respective set of rear hard bags? Is there an acceptable cost or do I grab it as fast as I can because they are considered scarce and rare?  ???? Will either of these two sets of bags fit and work on my '85 K100RS?

Thanks to all in advance who can provide information and guidance. It is appreciated.
Bill
1997 K1100LT
1985 K100RS.
'2000 A-15 Concours (C-10 style) Kawasaki - sold
'94 YZ250 Yamaha - sold

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 06:30:44 PM »
1) Yes, it's a good deal.  Do they have flat or round locks?

3) The K1100LT bags are Gen 3 bags.  The locks face outward and are more convenient.  They are also more water"proof" and a little bigger than the older bags.  They'll hold a FF helmet - maybe not a flip-up though.
Buy parts here.

Offline Red

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 07:36:32 PM »
1) I did not notice if the locks are flat or round, (did not know to look for that) ... I plan to be looking at these '84 K100RT stock bags this next Thursday. What's the scoop on the round vs flat locks? Would you hazard a guess on an acceptable cost on Gen 3 bags? I would also have to pick up a set of Z hangers for this set. I'm also looking to confirm that these '93 Gen 3 bags will fit on my '85 K100RS? Are the Gen 3 bags that much better, (if $ cost is acceptable), and I should get these Gen 3 bags over the '84 stock bags?
Bill
1997 K1100LT
1985 K100RS.
'94 YZ250 Yamaha - sold

Offline Red

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 09:51:07 PM »
I was able to get hold of the people with the hard bags. To answer the question, the '84 K100RT stock rear hard bags are "flat locks".

The '93 K1100LT rear hard bags are "round locks". The Z hangers are not available. Although this set of bags are not officially "up for sale" yet, I did just now, get a discussion price of $300.00 for the two bags. I'm not sure what the issue with him, and I think he just needs to put the damn bags up for sale if he is talking about it. I feel he will sell if I make an offer with the cash in hand. I think he will go lower $, if he sees the money too.

Bill
1997 K1100LT
1985 K100RS.
'94 YZ250 Yamaha - sold

Tags: