Author Topic: Saved a brick today!  (Read 24072 times)

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
  • ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: Saved a brick today!
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2016, 09:25:27 PM »
Me, too.

How do you intellectually conceptualize the fact that this great country apparently prefers UUGGGE A##holes? Electorally speaking of course...
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2016, 09:34:50 PM »
How do you intellectually conceptualize the fact that this great country apparently prefers UUGGGE A##holes? Electorally speaking of course...
In response to whatever you mean—typographically or otherwise, jack, I say that we must embrace our similarities even if they are just hole sizes. If I get your drift, certainly the preference should be that those holes are smaller, too.

Now, back to the subject of the thread, because I know you have an abhorrence of hijacking. :giggles
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2016, 09:48:19 PM »

Now, back to the subject of the thread, because I know you have an abhorrence of hijacking. :giggles
Well said.  K_grendell sorry for the diversions(enjoyable as they are on a COLD December day).  All the talk of variances in orifice size/quantity got me excited :hehehe .  I personally think that the injectors are an improvement.  But opinions are like Aholes, everybody has one!It sounds like you have the issues well in hand.  After servicing, you can start on upgrades(alternator, led lights, etc)!  Good luck
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2016, 11:02:15 PM »
I guess I am still burdened by the memories of the years I spent traveling around the country as a hydraulic tech cleaning sh!t out of the small holes in hydraulic servo systems.

The rule of thumb was that the likelihood of clogging a hole increased as the inverse of the square of the diameter change.  The smaller the hole the harder it is to filter out the bad stuff that could clog it.

The pessimist in me expects the injectors to clog.  Why make it easier for them?
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2016, 08:13:52 AM »

The pessimist in me expects the injectors to clog.  Why make it easier for them?

I work with/depend upon hydraulics daily Gryphon.  I appreciate your concerns.  That being said, the forces, thermal differences, filtering specs, and mechanical complexities in hydraulic applications are grossly different.  No need to fear 4-hole injectors (85 million cars can't be wrong), unless you are adverse to filter changes or regularly/intentionally add impurities in your gasoline :bmwsmile .  I regularly practice rapid acceleration in an attempt to purge impurities and keep fresh fuel in my bike :2thumbup: .
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2016, 09:17:25 AM »
. . . (85 million cars can't be wrong), . . .
The combustion of K-bikes was designed with two-hole injectors in mind. Introducing a differing component can also introduce the need to modify settings for optimal performance. If the cost of two-holers compared with four-holers is the same but the acceleration performance is significantly improved, then that's a reasonable rationale for purchasing the fours—if speed is the need.

I think if the throttle is twisted far enough for long enough on K-bikes with two-holers, there should be enough speed produced to overtake effectively, to garner traffic violations abundantly, to maim reliably, or to arrive predictably ahead of schedule in most cases.
 :yippee:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline K_grendell

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2016, 09:13:30 PM »
First ride report...holy shit this bike is really tight and in better shape than I expected! The wind protection is also pretty awesome.

I did a fluid flush, new rear master reservoir, fresh coolant level line hose, new battery, and a proper detail and re-assembly. I'm very impressed with how smooth the bike is! I will definitely be selling my touring ducati next season and replace it with the k-bike.

I am looking forward to sorting out the few niggles and some minor upgrades.

There a slight hesitation when you snap he throttle, is this standard fare for the old jetronic injection or should I delve into a full on t.b. Sync etc...?

• Worcester, MA
Current bikes:
1987 k75s
1979 Vespa px200
1969 mz es-250 trophy
1997ducati 748
2007 ducati multistrada 1100s

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2016, 09:23:20 PM »
There a slight hesitation when you snap he throttle, is this standard fare for the old jetronic injection or should I delve into a full on t.b. Sync
Full valve clearance check/adjustment then tb synch.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2016, 10:47:03 PM »
When the dealer was checking me out on my brand new 75S 30 years and 3 months ago,  he whacked the throttle open for a second and the engine gasped a bit before it revved up.  That, he said, is normal.  Mine's always done it, almost unnoticeable in regular driving.  I'd certainly check the valves and a sync couldn't hurt anything, (185k now and I've never touched my tb's) but if you're chasing a slight hesitation when you suddenly give it a bunch of gas you might be chasing your tail. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Elipten

Saved a brick today!
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2016, 11:06:39 PM »
Agree some hesitation off idle.  Always been there for 26 yrs on mine since new.

I do believe this is the first mass produced EFI motorcycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline Martin

« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2016, 01:28:26 AM »

Do not adjust the throttle body  mechanical adjustment screws ( The ones with the blue paint). If moved it is extremely hard to synchronize them again.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline K_grendell

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2016, 09:02:42 AM »
That is what I was assuming, my old cis injection vw's were similar.

The way you worded it as gasping when you open the the throttle is exactly what it does. It was really bad at first but the longer it warmed it and more I used it the better the bike got. From sitting all those years I'm sure it was just slow to wake up. I'll focus my attention elsewhere for now until I start putting miles on it next spring to shake it down.

I'm going to tackle the brake system next, lines and m/c & caliper rebuilds. Any recomemdations for where to source oem seal kits? Has anyone swapped over from squishy rubbber to steel lines?

• Worcester, MA
Current bikes:
1987 k75s
1979 Vespa px200
1969 mz es-250 trophy
1997ducati 748

Offline Elipten

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2016, 10:00:58 AM »
I bought caliper rebuild kit years ago at Beemer Bonerard years ago. And went SS on lines. Many sources for those including local shops can build

• San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline Elipten

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »
My K takes some time to warm up and the the delay and stutter off idle is greatly reduced

• San Antonio, TX
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2016, 10:33:49 AM »
Both of my K75's with Jetronic systems hesitate when the throttle is snapped open from idle.  I suspect it has something to do with the barn door in the MAF which is going to induce a momentary vacuum surge in the intake manifold prior to opening and allowing the air to flow. 

My K100 with Motronic is much crisper and responds almost instantly.  It has no MAF, but rather meters fuel based on throttle position.

I have not had any problems with the k75 hesitation since I have the habit of rolling on the throttle rather than snapping it on and off.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2016, 12:32:34 PM »

I'm going to tackle the brake system next, lines and m/c & caliper rebuilds. Any recomemdations for where to source oem seal kits? Has anyone swapped over from squishy rubbber to steel lines?

Speigler makes nice SS brake lines.  BBY is an excellent source of many parts, unfortunately...
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2016, 12:39:29 PM »
I just found a complete set of six Spiegler hoses for my 1991 K100RS 16V ABS 1 for less than the cost of buying OEM so they are on my Christmas wish list for sure.

http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/spiegler-bmw-k75-85-92-rear-brake-line-kit-orig/

That is for the back brake of yours but I bet they have the front as well

• San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline kris

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2016, 10:49:44 PM »
My bike mechanic looked at my 30 year old brake lines and gave them the thumbs up. They work just fine and are in great condition. Stainless lines would be a spanky new look if the budget and will are there but, imho, would be unnecessary...assuming your lines look as good as mine.
  • In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Offline K_grendell

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2016, 11:24:39 PM »
Kris, I ride a lot of miles and have had too many close calls in my younger years. I've learned not to trust old rubber tires and brake lines, I've had them collapse internally and stay locked on, break down after a few weeks of use after long term sitting and leak/rupture, and make a mess of good paint. With my riding style brakes and tires are something I don't take chances with.
  • Worcester, MA
Current bikes:
1987 k75s
1979 Vespa px200
1969 mz es-250 trophy
1997ducati 748

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2016, 12:45:54 AM »
One thing I've never worried about are the radiator hoses.  Mine are original and I don't think I've ever heard of one failing.  (sure somebody will chime in here with a burst hose)  :eek:
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline Martin

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2016, 02:05:48 AM »

All my 1992 radiator hoses are original. Front brake hose failed 15 years ago developed a air leak, it was sucking in air but not leaking fluid weird. I still have it as a curiosity, I assume the leak was caused by a flap of rubber acting as a one way valve.
Regards Martin,
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline kris

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2016, 10:06:29 AM »
K-grendell,
You make an excellent point. The question really has to be, "Is it worth the risk?" and the only sensible answer is, "No".  I am not an aggressive rider....easier on my machines. But it's not worth finding out, in a pinch, that the lines wouldn't take a handful of really hard squeeze. I may re-think my position. I don't need stainless but newer lines wouldn't be an unreasonable preventive maintenance item! Now that the first significant snow has fallen we can sit back and survey the fleet. I was riding on Saturday and will ride again once these roads dry up!!
  • In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Offline John Lang

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • John Lang
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2016, 12:46:35 PM »
Check out https://www.motobins.co.uk for after-market stainless braided brake lines and re-build kits.
  • Ottawa, ON Canada
  • 1987 K75C

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2016, 01:43:32 PM »
I just brought a full set of Spiegler SS lines for my 1991 RS 16v ABS for $205 inc shipping.  That is for six lines, works out cheaper than BMW ones.

I got them here..

http://http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline Scud

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2016, 11:22:29 PM »
I got Spieglers for my K75s. Excellent quality and perfect fit. Unfortunately in my case, when I got them I discovered that the PO had made some modifications and that I did not have all the stock components to attach my new to. I discovered this while complaining to Spiegler that the hoses were too short - and they graciously pointed out how they were correct and that I was missing some hard lines. If your bike is unmodified, you should be fine. I'm happy with mine, now that I acquired the missing components.
  • Carlsbad, CA
  • 1992 K75s. 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura, 2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans. 2007 Husqvarna TE450

Tags: