Author Topic: "New" K1100RS owner in Sweden  (Read 9674 times)

Offline jeverett486

• Curious
"New" K1100RS owner in Sweden
« on: January 20, 2013, 03:51:09 AM »
Hello everybody from Sweden.

Today was quite exciting: I delivered my 2010 F650GS to its new owner, then two hours later, I received my "new" 1993 K1100RS.

This isn't my first K by any means, but it is my first K1100RS.

Here she is just after arrival:

Here she is an hour-and-a-half later:

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with her, but finding out what surprises lie under the surface is always my first action.

I'm thinking of ways to put her on a diet, without ruining her looks.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks and rubber side down (even in the snow)!

Jay

Offline Crapdealerbob

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: "New" K1100RS owner in Sweden
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 08:21:39 AM »
Welcome!  I wouldn't change a thing, she is a beauty!
Crapdealerbob
Wickenburg, AZ
1991 K100 RS

Offline jeverett486

• Curious
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:58:15 AM »
Photos can be deceiving... she definitely needs some TLC.

Offline Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 12:43:06 PM »
Welcome!  I agree that she's a lovely bike.    :2thumbup:   Please don't do anything too radical.  How many km. are on the clock?
1985 K100RS

1982 Laverda Mirage 1200TS
1983 BMW R100RS

Offline jeverett486

• Curious
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 01:17:36 AM »
Welcome!  I agree that she's a lovely bike.    :2thumbup:   Please don't do anything too radical.  How many km. are on the clock?
Thanks, Lawrence.

I think my extent of radicality will be to try and lose some weight.

I would like to make, or find, a new tail section out of aluminum with an integrated saddle, LED turns signals and brake light; something akin to cafe racers.

I did think about removing the fairing completely and have a round headlight instead, like the K75C. But I like the looks and protection of the fairing, so it will probably be the remaining piece of fiberglass on the bike.

I have removed the mirror and integrated turns signal. I will most likely replace them with bar-end mounted LEDs.

Other than that, no bags, extra lights, or extra fuel cell. I want a lean, mean commuting machine.

I will keep everyone posted with pics.

Best regards,

Jay

BTW: It's a former police bike with 125.000 km on the clock.

Offline Freelancer

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 01:35:34 AM »
Hello everybody from Sweden.

Today was quite exciting: I delivered my 2010 F650GS to its new owner, then two hours later, I received my "new" 1993 K1100RS.

This isn't my first K by any means, but it is my first K1100RS.

Here she is just after arrival:

*snip*

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with her, but finding out what surprises lie under the surface is always my first action.

I'm thinking of ways to put her on a diet, without ruining her looks.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks and rubber side down (even in the snow)!

Jay

Hi Jay,
Nice score on the '93 K1100 rs.

As to your question about weight reduction, There are a few things you "can" do, thoough some of which will get the technologically dependent in an uproar. Note that I am not advocating nor dicouraging any of the following. They are just ways of dropping or not unwittingly adding weight.

That said, here goes:

First, an aftermarket non-cat exhaust will save a few pounds. If you find someone to custom make you a set, the weight savings can improve through use of exotic materials.

Second, (Getting ready for the safety'crats to scream :nono) Removing the ABS completely will drop  25 lbs+/12 kilo+ :2thumbup: from the bike. Your decision on how much you value the abs here.

Third, Be careful on after market seats. My Corbin is about 3x the weight of my old stock seat. Thing is, most afermarket seat pans are much heavier than the stocker.
Personally, I recommend having Sargent recover a factory seat pan here and be happy to riding away more comfortably and at the same weight.

Fourth, aftermarket peg kits can save a few ounces to a pound but can also drastically change how the bike looks depending on what is done with the mounting plates.

Fifth, you can ditch the factory luggage and mounts in favor of modern soft luggage. This might save a pound when ridding without bags.

Sixth, You can ditch the heavy bar ends if vibration numbness of the hands doesn't bother you. :laugh

Seventh, You can trim the rear fender or eliminate it.

From this point on, you start getting into things that
A) will profoundly change the appearance of the bike, and
B) Will get very expensive very quickly.

Things like:
Machinging in the back of the trans case and swingarm to save a few ounces(Maybe a pound)
Removing bodywork
Building a custom intrument cluster(You can save about 2-3 pounds on the cluster)
Custom lightweight rims
Replacing all steel bolts and screws with titanium ones
Custom wiring harness

As I said, these last ones are probably a bit excessive but who knows, there might be one or two things that you decide to or might be rich enough to do(Cough cough-Titanium hollow boltscough) :yes

Hope these ideas help.

Later,
Freelancer

1991 K100RS

Offline jeverett486

• Curious
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 05:37:33 AM »
Hi Freelance,

Nice score on the '93 K1100 rs.
Thanks!

As to your question about weight reduction, There are a few things you "can" do, though some of which will get the technologically dependent in an uproar. Note that I am not advocating nor discouraging any of the following. They are just ways of dropping or not unwittingly adding weight.
I appreciate all input.

First, an aftermarket non-cat exhaust will save a few pounds. If you find someone to custom make you a set, the weight savings can improve through use of exotic materials.
Not sure what the authorities would say about cutting out the cat. Everything must be CE marked here. But I am aware how much the orig exhaust weighs.

Second, (Getting ready for the safety'crats to scream) Removing the ABS completely will drop  25 lbs+/12 kilo+ from the bike. Your decision on how much you value the abs here.
I've driven enough to know most of the pluses and minuses of ABS. In this case, I am thinking weight and simplicity is the solution in this case.

Third, Be careful on after market seats. My Corbin is about 3x the weight of my old stock seat. Thing is, most aftermarket seat pans are much heavier than the stocker.
Personally, I recommend having Sargent recover a factory seat pan here and be happy to riding away more comfortably and at the same weight.
I plan on creating a new tail section with integrated custom seat. So I don't have to worry about a seat pan.

Fourth, aftermarket peg kits can save a few ounces to a pound but can also drastically change how the bike looks depending on what is done with the mounting plates.
I'm thinking very seriously about designing new footplates, possibly rear sets. RAASK is a Swedish company, so I have a chance to speak with them directly.

Fifth, you can ditch the factory luggage and mounts in favor of modern soft luggage. This might save a pound when ridding without bags.
Already gone.

Sixth, You can ditch the heavy bar ends if vibration numbness of the hands doesn't bother you.
Already gone.

Seventh, You can trim the rear fender or eliminate it.
Already gone. Will look for some hugger option.

From this point on, you start getting into things that

A) will profoundly change the appearance of the bike
I want to keep much of the look. The KRS is a beautiful bike.

B) Will get very expensive very quickly
I bought cheap so I have a little budget, and I do most things myself, but I don't want to go overboard.

Things like:

Machining in the back of the trans case and swingarm to save a few ounces (Maybe a pound)
I'm trying to avoid dismantling the engine and driveline. However, I am seriously thinking about replacing the intake manifold and airbox with something. But I don't know what yet.

Removing bodywork
Already gone.

Building a custom intrument cluster(You can save about 2-3 pounds on the cluster)
Since everything's electronic, I am definitely thinking about options for instruments.

Custom lightweight rims
Out of my budget.

Reaplacing all steel bolts and screws with titanium ones
Out of my budget.

Custom wiring harness
It will be, when I'm done!

Hope these ideas help.
Definitely.  :2thumbup:

BR/ Jay

Offline BIG D

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 05:56:48 AM »
 cool shades

Hi Jay welcome,
Nice looking machine you have there and yes I can understand your thinking about having a look to see if there are any problem areas.

BIG D

Offline jeverett486

• Curious
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 07:51:31 AM »
cool shades

Hi Jay welcome,
Nice looking machine you have there and yes I can understand your thinking about having a look to see if there are any problem areas.

BIG D

Thanks for the welcome, BIG D. Yes, it's always interesting to tear into something and discover "what you really bought".

More pictures soon.

She's getting lighter everyday:

Offline jeverett486

• Curious
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 02:29:02 PM »
Getting lighter. ABS removal next step.

Offline Qdude

• Dyslexic Agnostics Wonder if there is a Dog...
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 02:35:03 AM »

Looks like a great project.

Your focus is obviously about losing weight.
What are you going to do about cosmetics?
Any plans for paint?
96 K 1100 LT

77 KZ650C
77 KZ650C

I believe in Life before Death

Tags: