Author Topic: K100 Modern Cafe Project  (Read 60253 times)

Offline mister_anger

• Motobrick Curious
Re: K100 Modern Cafe Project
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2018, 03:55:17 PM »
that is indeed pretty weird posting from my account. What dimension of rear tyre did you fit on it?

• Belgium
  • Triumph speed triple, honda cbx750f, BMW K100RS

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2018, 03:56:32 PM »
that is indeed pretty weird posting from my account. What dimension of rear tyre did you fit on it?

I posted that information in the last post... from your account
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline mister_anger

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2018, 03:59:12 PM »
didn't see that. Forget to read my own post completely ;-)
thanks for the info.
  • Belgium
  • Triumph speed triple, honda cbx750f, BMW K100RS

Offline Filmcamera

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2018, 05:18:59 PM »
A friend of mine lent me a 2014 speed triple for a few weeks - what a bike.  I really miss it now it has gone!

It and the my K bike show exactly why one bike is not enough. 

The BMW is a much better bike for me and my wife to tour on etc but the Triumph is hard to beat for a blast on some twisties. 

In a couple of weeks the same friend is lending me a Triumph Thunderbird for a month or so That will be interesting, I have never ridden a cruiser type bike and have never really liked them but that may just be anti-HD bias, we will see.

I have also been thinking about trying to find a more modern bike to have as a sports tourer but it seems they do not really exist anymore in the same way as bikes like the K bike from back in the day. Most tourers seems to be the adventure types like the GS 1200.  I am sure they are great bikes but at my height simply not really an option for me and anyway I like the sports part of the sports tourer package a bit more than I think the GS would provide. 

I know there are Beemers like the R1200RS but that does not look very pillion friendly whereas the LT versions look totally touring orientated.

Hence the need for two (or three or four) bikes I guess!

BTW I do yearn for a K75S so maybe that will be the next K in the stable. :riding:

• San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765
Poserbricker

Offline oneplustwo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »
Hi Mike,

Inspirational build!  Mind if I ask a few questions to help with a build I'm starting?

1. Did your K1100 tank have the grommet hole for plastics?  Wondering if you were able to just trim it off and if you had any concerns about damaging the tank as a result.
2. Is the tank simply bare aluminum?  What was your finishing process there?
3. I noticed the hole for the wire for the rear light through the frame.  Where does it come out of at the front?

Thanks for the insight!

• San Francisco
  • 1990 K75S (in 1000 pieces)

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2018, 09:53:12 PM »
1. Did your K1100 tank have the grommet hole for plastics?  Wondering if you were able to just trim it off and if you had any concerns about damaging the tank as a result.
2. Is the tank simply bare aluminum?  What was your finishing process there?
3. I noticed the hole for the wire for the rear light through the frame.  Where does it come out of at the front?

Thank you.

1. Yes, I trimmed it off. No concerns for damaging the tank, although I did take great care to not cut into the tank or split the welds.
2. Yes, it's bare aluminum. I used a burnishing tool to apply the brushed finish.
3. The 'front' exit hole for the wire is on the inside of the frame rail, underneath the cowl.

Hope that helps.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline oneplustwo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2018, 11:15:33 PM »
Super helpful, thanks.   A few follow ups:

Did you trim the tank with just a cut off wheel?
How did you remove the old paint?  Soda blast?  Paint stripper?  Did you have to seal it in any way to maintain the finish afterwards?  Clear coat or maybe just wax?  Or maybe not necessary with the brushed look.

• San Francisco

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2018, 03:44:26 PM »
Super helpful, thanks.   A few follow ups:

Did you trim the tank with just a cut off wheel?
How did you remove the old paint?  Soda blast?  Paint stripper?  Did you have to seal it in any way to maintain the finish afterwards?  Clear coat or maybe just wax?  Or maybe not necessary with the brushed look.

Yes, just a cut off wheel and a sanding pad on an angle grinder.
Paint was removed using paint stripper.
I have not sealed the tank in any way. The aluminum has oxidized over time and is a bit more dull, but I'm fine with that.

• Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline oneplustwo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »
Excellent, thanks.

On to wiring - your wiring looks super clean!  Did you redo everything or replace everything or a mix of the two?  There's a lot going on and I'm a little intimidated by it to be honest with you.  So any advice you have would be great!
Oh... and I love the little shorty muffler you have.  Where did you source that?
  • San Francisco

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2018, 10:14:02 PM »
Excellent, thanks.

On to wiring - your wiring looks super clean!  Did you redo everything or replace everything or a mix of the two?  There's a lot going on and I'm a little intimidated by it to be honest with you.  So any advice you have would be great!
Oh... and I love the little shorty muffler you have.  Where did you source that?

It's a mix of the two. I utilized the stock wiring harness wherever possible, but replaced connectors with AMP superseal connectors. I did have to make new wiring for some of the aftermarket parts, but it wasn't much. https://www.corsa-technic.com/index.php is a great source for connectors, wire, etc.

The muffler is from Cone Engineering.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Offline oneplustwo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2018, 01:46:29 AM »
Excellent, thanks for the tips on the connectors and the mufflers!

Did the stock harness allow you to place the ECU that far back in the seat?  Or was that facilitated by having the BEP 3.0 vs. the lunchbox?
Also, is your exhaust painted, powder coated, or ceramic coated?

• San Francisco

Offline Mike Flores

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2018, 01:52:01 PM »
Excellent, thanks for the tips on the connectors and the mufflers!

Did the stock harness allow you to place the ECU that far back in the seat?  Or was that facilitated by having the BEP 3.0 vs. the lunchbox?
Also, is your exhaust painted, powder coated, or ceramic coated?

I was able to place the ECU in the cowl with the stock harness, but just barely. I don't have the BEP or Lunchbox, I'm using rbm's board.
My exhaust is ceramic coated. I tried painting it first, and it started flaking off after a couple rides.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1987 K100

Tags: