Author Topic: Has anyone used something OTHER than the BEP 3.0?  (Read 6123 times)

Offline Eccl.12vs13

• Motobrick Curious
Has anyone used something OTHER than the BEP 3.0?
« on: August 15, 2018, 01:47:43 PM »
I see that the BEP 3.0 is a very popular item here on this forum. It does seem to solve many, if not all, of the problems associated with the removal of the 'lunch-box'! But I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the following device called the 'K-Unit BTH, which I found on a FB Group paged called Dashboard Flying Brick Motorcycles:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/249376358913107/

According to the originator Andre Faes, his device uses the same connections as the lunch-box. When plugged in, it transfers all K-Bike info, via Bluetooth to the users Android phone.

Thus far he has made and updated it a few times, adding more useful information with each iteration.

If anyone has tried, or heard about it's operation, good or bad, would you mind sharing? Would like to know my options before committing to the BEP 3.0

Thanks,
R.V.
  • Rockford, IL.
  • 1985 Yamaha RZ 350, 1985 BMW K100, 1993 Honda CBR 900, 1999 Yamaha 650 VStar, 2002 Honda RC51
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." Eccl. 12 vs 13

Offline Skunky

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: Has anyone used something OTHER than the BEP 3.0?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 09:26:06 PM »
Oh look they have a website too https://www.fiveaces.hk/k-unit-bth_uk.

Looks good and is very clever. However their are issues that I can see. Firstly the lack of an odometer, I'm not sure that would be acceptable in the UK. You also have to make sure your phone is charged. If it fails you wont have any warning instruments at all. In my opinion it needs refining You could use one of the chunkier waterproof phones as your speedo with a permanent feed. I think the RFID looks good though.
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 08:08:46 AM »
I use the stock BMW instruments. 

In 60,000 miles of riding I never have trouble starting or getting the neutral indicator to work.  No need to hack up the wiring and add all kinds of electronics boards to get them to work.

On the down side, in the four 30 year old clusters I have owned I did have a burned out bulb that I replaced with LED's.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Eccl.12vs13

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 09:10:40 AM »
Oh look they have a website too https://www.fiveaces.hk/k-unit-bth_uk.

Looks good and is very clever. However their are issues that I can see. Firstly the lack of an odometer, I'm not sure that would be acceptable in the UK. You also have to make sure your phone is charged. If it fails you wont have any warning instruments at all. In my opinion it needs refining You could use one of the chunkier waterproof phones as your speedo with a permanent feed. I think the RFID looks good though.

Good points. Especially about the charging. You would definitely have to make sure your phone was fully charged before a long trip, or have just an old phone with BT dedicated for your bike. Would be great if a USB charging port could be added, but it looks as if this has already gone to production and adding something at this point may not be possible.

Maybe I'll wait for upgraded K-Bike BTH 2.0?

Thanks,
Ray V.
  • Rockford, IL.
  • 1985 Yamaha RZ 350, 1985 BMW K100, 1993 Honda CBR 900, 1999 Yamaha 650 VStar, 2002 Honda RC51
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." Eccl. 12 vs 13

Offline Eccl.12vs13

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 09:18:24 AM »
I use the stock BMW instruments. 

In 60,000 miles of riding I never have trouble starting or getting the neutral indicator to work.  No need to hack up the wiring and add all kinds of electronics boards to get them to work.

On the down side, in the four 30 year old clusters I have owned I did have a burned out bulb that I replaced with LED's.

I have no doubt that the engineers over in Germany built a well crafted unit, but it's just so BIG! I'm going for a cafe look and I just don't think I can hide the 'lunch-box' behind a fairing.

And as far as I can tell if I go with either the BEP 3.0 or the K-Bike BTH, they both are plug and play...no hacking required. Which is something I'm looking for seeing as my wiring skills are not the greatest.

Thanks,
Ray V.
  • Rockford, IL.

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 05:05:29 PM »
greetings...

a well crafted cafe is not faired...

let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter... fear gawd...  and keep his commandments... for this is the whole duty of man...

thou shall not fair a cafe...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Eccl.12vs13

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 05:21:32 PM »
greetings...

a well crafted cafe is not faired...

let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter... fear gawd...  and keep his commandments... for this is the whole duty of man...

thou shall not fair a cafe...

j o

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
  • Rockford, IL.

Tags: bep