Author Topic: Oil Filters for Motobricks  (Read 31709 times)

Offline 390beretta

• Motobrick Curious
Oil Filters for Motobricks
« on: November 25, 2011, 08:58:44 AM »
The gentleman from whom I bought my '88 K75 gave me three Bosch oil filters and three spark plugs.  A trusted mechanic and a knowledgeable friend told me to use OEM filters only.  Willing to go the cost for OEM, but would like opinions whether the OEM is really better.  Thanks

Offline kenray

• Motobrick Curious
Re: Bosch Oil Filter
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 09:31:41 AM »
Hello, I am no expert but I use the Bosch filters in my 89 K100rs with no problems. The ones I buy come with a stick on label on the filter. I make sure to peel off the sticky label and wipe any residue off with WD40 before installing. I'm sure you will get other opinions from our fellow Brick riders. Kenray in Katy TX.
  • Katy Tx.  (West Houston area)
  • 1989 K100rs (se)
1989 k100rs

Offline DRxBMW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 05:36:10 PM »
Hello, I am no expert but I use the Bosch filters in my 89 K100rs with no problems. The ones I buy come with a stick on label on the filter. I make sure to peel off the sticky label and wipe any residue off with WD40 before installing. I'm sure you will get other opinions from our fellow Brick riders. Kenray in Katy TX.

AC Delco PF 53 oil filter, over 120 K,enough said.

NAPA Gold is another brand I've used on customer's bricks.

FWIW, you can go with 2 oil drains per filter.

"ride hard ____ life's short"

Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 07:40:10 PM »
Bosch is a perfectly fine filter.  I've been using Delco PF53 for the last 10 years or so, before that I used Fram until they started putting the grippy stuff on em.  180k so far. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Rick G

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 08:27:18 PM »
The grippy junk on the fram is the only problem I have come across with non genuine filters. Some filters have a slightly lower relief valve setting but not anywhere low enough to be a problem at all.

Offline w. h. hoon

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 12:55:15 PM »
Have you already checked the price of oem. filter? WOW!!!!
Napa gold is the same filter my toyota pickup uses 4.95
Napa platinum is 11.95 but rated for synthetic oil
still less than halfprice!!!
W. H. Hoon
early 1985 k100rs euro.

Offline 390beretta

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »
Yep, the BMW filters are spendy.  But as my very trusted mechanic said:  " I know the BMW ones work right.  You don't have to change them but every other oil change.  How many miles do you put on in a year?.....so, you're spending $15-20 more a year.  Do the right thing ;D   Well, it's hard to argue with that logic.  This guy, Motoghost.com, is one of the most knowledgeable BMW mechanics I have ever run across.  I think I'll take his advise.  I have 4 Bosch oil filters that I'll sell "cheap" if any of my friends would like them.  (you pay shipping).  Thanks

Offline CRASH

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »
I change my oil 5 to 7 times a year - 20k to 25k miles annually.  Last change there were no sparklies or metal particles on the magnetic drain plug (63k miles).  I have used nothing but Bosch on this bike and on other K-Bike forums where mechanics get talked about, Bosch is about 75% of all users, most of the others use non BMW filters (these are people that do their own work - shade tree, profession, semi profession, and some really annoying engineering geeks).  The OEMs are really no better than any other quality filter.  I also know that most 3rd party BMW shops tend to carry Bosch, Mann (OEM manufacturer) and Mahle (another BMW OEM manufacture) - Bosch being more popular probably due to accessibility.

I use Wix or Baldwin on most of my equipment (they make the Napa Gold as for example already mentioned as a good filter), usually Purolater (who also make Bosch) on my cars. I have used Bosch on motorcycles for as long as I can remember including an 84 Venture Royal that went over 185k miles ... and then more after I sold it. The only filters I would avoid like the plague .. MANN and that is only because there are so many counterfeit ones out there - from a reputable dealer I would buy one but not for a silly price. The other is FRAM just because they have been crap for so long and still are.

But all of this is just some guy on the internet telling you things that could be true or not.  I do a lot of research on things (and a million miles on bikes and 40 years of wrenching) and this is what I have learned.  Don't take someones word for it, a few minutes with a beer and the computer and you can read up on it yourself. Some good information to learn about oil filters with a little science to back it up:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/german.html
The links at the top of this page take you to several sections.  When doing your research remember Purolator makes the Bosch filter. 

http://filtrationcomparisons.weebly.com/index.html
or right to the meat - http://filtrationcomparisons.weebly.com/conclusions.html

- CRASH -

Offline orforester

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 07:15:12 PM »
My local NAPA store was having a filter sale this weekend.  Fuel Filters $2.22 for the 3032, got two and two oil filters for $2.52 each.  About 60% off, NAPA Gold.  After you take the sticker off them, they seem to work just fine.  My two cents on oil filters and oil changes, is do them often.  I used to work in Alaska many years ago.  Ford engines would last 5000 mile, yes 5000 miles, but those that had the oil changes every 1000 miles lasted 15000.  It was very dusty and hard on engines as you could tell.  Us that changed the oil, did ours at 500 miles and never had a blown engine, but the oil was dark.
Bob
1989 K 100 RS se (SOLD)
1985 K 100 RS, now RT
1979 XS 650 Yamaha Street Tracker
2008 R 1200RT

Offline 390beretta

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 08:21:12 PM »
Thanks you all for your input.  Greatly appreciated!

Offline Phil Marvin

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 02:03:19 PM »
Hi, 390beretta,
    The Mahle OC-91 filter IS the OEM filter without the BMW logo (or price) for the Classic K.  A fellow advertises them in the BMWMOA Flea Market as well as in the BMW Owners News in the flea market section.  His price is $10 or 5 for $40, plus shipping.  I bought 10 at one time and got them for $75.  Adding shipping, they cost me just over $8.50 each in my little(?) hot hands.  Contact him at mrmrsp191 at AOL dot com.
Ride Safe,
Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
'95 K75RTP
'94 K75A/3

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 02:21:12 PM »
magnetic drain plug

Is that aftermarket?  The OEM ones aren't magnetic.

Motobricks are so badass bulletproof you could probably run them without an oil filter. (Not that I'd recommend that though.)

Since this is a fairly common topic of discussion I'm going to move this thread to The Lieberry and merge in any future oil filter threads that are started.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline CRASH

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 01:36:59 AM »
magnetic drain plug

Is that aftermarket?  The OEM ones aren't magnetic.

Looks like you asked and then answered your own question in the same breath.
- CRASH -

Offline w. h. hoon

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 06:57:28 AM »

.  You don't have to change them but every other oil change. 

Now this is just my opinion, I believe old oil filters belong with the old oil. personally I don't care how much it costs I'm not going to run new oil and an old filter. But maybe that's just me?
W. H. Hoon
early 1985 k100rs euro.

Offline wmax351

Re: Oil Filters for Motobricks
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 12:38:45 PM »
I usually hear that you can keep the oil, swap the filter. Modern synthetic oil will outlast the filter several times over.

To be safe, I just change both at the same time. They aren't that expensive.
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • 91 BMW K75 Standard, 98 Moto Guzzi California EV
Bikes:
Current:1991 BMW K75 Standard, 1998 Moto Guzzi California EV11
Past: '83 BMW R65LS, '75 Honda CB550F, '69 Honda CB175, 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V, 1971 BMW R75/5 in Toaster outfit, 1979 Harley Davidson XLS-1000 Sportster Roadster

Offline Ocelot

• Ocelot: small, agile, powerful, stealthy.
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 03:18:07 PM »
Has anyone here tried the stainless steel mesh re-usable oil filters?
1990 K75C Ocelot
2003 R1200CLC Annie
2007 KLR650 Biffy Bullfrog

Offline wmax351

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 04:07:05 PM »

Nope. Don't really see why. Messy, and I don't trust it as much. Bosch 3330's are under 4 bucks from Rockauto. For 4 bucks a year, I'll make an oil change as clean as possible.
  • Albuquerque, NM
Bikes:
Past: '83 BMW R65LS, '75 Honda CB550F, '69 Honda CB175, 1999 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V, 1971 BMW R75/5 in Toaster outfit, 1979 Harley Davidson XLS-1000 Sportster Roadster

Offline DRxBMW

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 05:39:17 PM »

I've seen the filter that uses a roll of toilet paper before.

POS literally _______________ LOL.
Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »

I would avoid them like the plague.  They allow a much larger particle to pass.  And as for not changing the filter, you're leaving a cup of old oil in the sump.  Why no just extend your change interval some and change both.  Or use a synthetic with longer life. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline rbm

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 08:54:08 PM »
The topic of oil always elicits a great deal of opinion.  I'll give mine.

I agree that reusable filters are not a viable option for the K-bikes.  The mesh is too coarse and allows a larger particle through than paper, as stated earlier.  Also, I've read they are difficult to clean properly although I can't verify that claim.

I use HiFlo HF163 filters in my bike  They were inexpensive, have bare metal exteriors (so no risk of flaking paint in the oil) and recommended by several other riders.  I bought in bulk and got a decent discounted price at the local bike shop.  I always change oil and filter together at the end of the season before winter storage.  I use Mobil-1 synth exclusively, so, I might be throwing out perfectly good oil after one season but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

So, I guess the next topic of discussion should be oxygenated gas and how good is that for our machines.  :)
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline wmax351

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 12:27:34 AM »
The topic of oil always elicits a great deal of opinion.  I'll give mine.

I agree that reusable filters are not a viable option for the K-bikes.  The mesh is too coarse and allows a larger particle through than paper, as stated earlier.  Also, I've read they are difficult to clean properly although I can't verify that claim.

I use HiFlo HF163 filters in my bike  They were inexpensive, have bare metal exteriors (so no risk of flaking paint in the oil) and recommended by several other riders.  I bought in bulk and got a decent discounted price at the local bike shop.  I always change oil and filter together at the end of the season before winter storage.  I use Mobil-1 synth exclusively, so, I might be throwing out perfectly good oil after one season but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

So, I guess the next topic of discussion should be oxygenated gas and how good is that for our machines.  :)

I have used the HF163's. They seem alright.

I may switch over to the bosch, in order to know where they come from better.
  • Albuquerque, NM
Bikes:

Offline Ocelot

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 07:28:05 AM »
Yabbut... Has anyone used them?

BTW, my Crazy Uncle Karl bought a pair of Studebaker Lark station wagons with the toilet paper filters on them. Each had about a quarter million miles on the clock when it died (he was a long distance salesman). Which was a lotta miles back when a typical car might go 40 or 50k. I had a heavy flute-sided Dodge van I drove across country had one. 240K on that slant six when it died.
1990 K75C Ocelot
2003 R1200CLC Annie

Offline voodooskin

• Motobrick Curious
  • gone: 1997 K1100LT
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 01:21:44 AM »
The beauty of the toilet paper filters is that if you're ever caught out with a biological emergency and a simple toolkit, you are good to go (albeit: oily)  :lol:

I took my K in for tires to the local dealer and (knowing it was due) offhand asked them to change the oil while they were at it.  Figured what, $50 tops but worth it so I would not get my hands greasy this time.  But I did not ask the price in advance.

OMG: north of $100 bones for an oil change on a bike.  Really.  Over $100.

1) doh

2) doin my own oil changes evermore.

So figure if you can do oil + filter at < $50 you're below 1/2 price.
  • Oregon
1997 K1100LT 49K miles

Offline Ocelot

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 07:23:34 AM »
Shit... a hunnert clams gets two cases of Castrol... nuff for ten changes
1990 K75C Ocelot
2003 R1200CLC Annie

Offline DRxBMW

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 08:09:46 AM »
Shit... a hunnert clams gets two cases of Castrol... nuff for ten changes
I run Mobil 1 full syn 15/50 year around, 8K drain intervals.

Advantage of using synthetic in a bricK is, avoidance of the dreaded sprag syndrome. Disadvantage, you may experience some misting if you wring the piss out of the ole girl. Especially in a higher mileage odometer scenario.   

AC Delco PF 53 oil filter is DRxBMW's choice. Cheap, $4.00, works wunderbar, over 140K of mileage factor using them, NO issues ever.

Peel off the small paper label first, clean the adhesive off with goo off or something similar and your good to go.

FWIW, the filter is painted blue but so what.

Just about every filter is made outside the USA anymore, even the BMW branded ones.

Good read on the different types of filtration media below if you have an interest.

http://parts.olathetoyota.com/tacoma-oil-filter-comparison.html
Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Tags: