Author Topic: why I joined this forum  (Read 9148 times)

Offline rogersgeorge

• Curious
why I joined this forum
« on: June 22, 2011, 06:23:14 PM »
Long story short, I just bought a K75, 1993 um, s. I need to change to US-style handle bars, maybe do an oil change and a tune-up, particularly if the sea foam doesn't do the job. It's been sitting since January.

The long story is the death of my 1984 R100RT. I put 2/3 of that adventure on my blog, which I invite you to peruse the most recent two posts of. I won't spoil the story, but it involves some amazing toughness of the old airhead, and a conversation with one of Maryland's finest. it's at http://mushroomstomotorcycles.com.

The third third of the adventure I'll post when it's done, but it has to do with several guys in my motorcycle club volunteering, nay insisting, that they repair the bike rather than let it be parted out, my only personal choice because of my lack of mechanical skill and my situation without repair facilities here in Annapolis. (I hope you're okay with long sentences.) Anybody stops by in Annapolis, lunch is on me. Or other meal.
Rogers George
1993 K75s
1984 R100RT

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: why I joined this forum
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »
Welcome!

What are "US-stylehandle bars?"  Are you going to put apehangers on a K75? LOL...
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline rogersgeorge

• Curious
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 06:26:14 AM »
Welcome!

What are "US-stylehandle bars?"  Are you going to put apehangers on a K75? LOL...

The handlebars I want will be closer to apehangers than those microscopic things on there now, that make me lean forward. Slightly longer bars will let me sit up, touring style. At my age I don't need to even suggest crotch rocket. :-)
Rogers George
1993 K75s
1984 R100RT

Rick G

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:31:13 AM »
If you do get some after market bars make sure they are 22mm and not 7/8 as you will find that some of the genuine BMW bits dont fit the slightly larger 7/8 bars.
You will also find that if you go to a much higher set of bars you will have to replace all the control cables as they won't be long enough.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 09:32:59 AM »
And brake line.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »
Possibly lengthen some of the wiring as well.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 01:25:51 PM »
Possibly lengthen some of the wiring as well.

No need. There's plenty of slack unless you're going way farther back than RT/LT bars.
Buy parts here.

Offline DRxBMW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 06:39:50 PM »
Long story short, I just bought a K75, 1993 um, s. I need to change to US-style handle bars, maybe do an oil change and a tune-up, particularly if the sea foam doesn't do the job. It's been sitting since January.

The long story is the death of my 1984 R100RT. I put 2/3 of that adventure on my blog, which I invite you to peruse the most recent two posts of. I won't spoil the story, but it involves some amazing toughness of the old airhead, and a conversation with one of Maryland's finest. it's at http://mushroomstomotorcycles.com.

Roger,
Are you attending the BMW MOA rally in Bloomsburg this July ?

If the K 75 can make it to Pa, I'll wrench on it for FREE, as I'm only 40 miles from the rally site.

Suggest a spline lube, FD & tranny fluid change for starters.

I have some leftover BMW coolant, may as well do the whole ball of wax aka a Tech II inspection.

If you ping me your snail mail privately, I burn you a dynamite service/tech disc for the K 75/100 series.

Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline DRxBMW

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 06:46:19 PM »

The third third of the adventure I'll post when it's done, but it has to do with several guys in my motorcycle club volunteering, nay insisting, that they repair the bike rather than let it be parted out, my only personal choice because of my lack of mechanical skill and my situation without repair facilities here in Annapolis. (I hope you're okay with long sentences.) Anybody stops by in Annapolis, lunch is on me. Or other meal.

Hey, you happen to know Jack Riepe from Chester. He's a crazy motherfucker. Your face looks familiar, ever attend any RA rally's ?

Gary
Williamsport,Pa

1994 K 75 ABS "custom"
2005 F 650 GS

Offline rogersgeorge

• Curious
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 08:47:45 AM »
Maybe I look like some poor fellow you met once. Never been to a rally, alas. I was at the Guiness BMW parade record attempt, though. Yes, Jack Riepe and I are good friends. You guys might know Robert Davis on this forum, too. Goes by his last name. He's a good buddy.

Thank you, DRxBMW, for the kind offer to work on my bike, but I can't make it to the rally this year. I'm sure I'd learn a lot. We have a pig roast that weekend. Circumstances beyond my control dictated that weekend, so I'm not hoping for a lot of my BMW buddies to show up. (Guess I'll BBQ a goat this fall.) The invitation to the pig roast is on this forum, btw, in a room about meet-ups. Everybody is welcome to come if they can't make it to the rally. My snail mail address in in the invite, if anyone wants it.
Rogers George
1993 K75s
1984 R100RT

Offline Ocelot

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Ocelot: small, agile, powerful, stealthy.
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 07:56:36 AM »
When we take a look at your handlebars this afternoon let's remember to check for slack in the control cables. As I understand, your new brick is an RT, so I am surprised that you have the sport bars. If bars were swapped before from the RT to the sport, then there ought to be enough slack.
1990 K75C Ocelot
2003 R1200CLC Annie
2007 KLR650 Biffy Bullfrog

Offline pcfixer

• Curious
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 11:05:13 PM »
Great story on your blog Rogers. Those pics are awesome! Sorry to hear about your R bike. Those Rbikes are tanks but the K75 engines are just as reliable and purr like little German kitties!
Current -
'93 K75S, '05 R1200ST

Past -
'82 R100, '83 R100RT, '04 R1150R, '91 K75

Tags: