Author Topic: 1986 K75T project (paint ideas)  (Read 5663 times)

Offline k75newb

• ^ Motobrick Curious
1986 K75T project (paint ideas)
« on: September 05, 2014, 01:39:57 PM »
Hi all, I'm in the final stages of completing my K75T project. The bike was sitting for 15 years. shows 38000 kms on the odo. Unfortunately I've misplaced the few pics I did have of how it looked when I got it. It had been dumped and then parked. PO appears to have started to part it out before selling it to a wrecker. Missing was ECU, fuel pump and filter, battery side covers, rad shroud, handlebars bent, eroded clutch rod boot, seat unusable, 'T' headlight cockpit fairing completely missing (headlight bucket was there) so no front signal lights, fuel tank dented in various places, no battery, no battery box or storage tray, no mirrors, ignition switch non functioning, both forks leaking and leaked down onto the front brake pads. I wish I could find those pictures... it was a wreck. But me being a sucker for projects and an affinity for these K's, I bit on it. There will be those that will still say 'part it' but if theres a chance....
What I've done to date:
- Firstly, secured an ECU, put in a new battery just to see if it would light up...ummm no. Trouble shot the wiring and during this process I cleaned all ground wires and connections and rebuilt starter. I determined it was a faulty ignition switch, got a used one and presto; power.
- Then obtained a K100 fuel tank with complete functioning internals (for $160 which I thought was a score), put in fresh fuel, changed out the engine oil and shot some oil in the spark plug holes, cleaned the air filter, new plugs and hit the starter. It took some massaging of the throttle and/or choke but it ran. Rough, but running.
- Now cleaned and rebuilt (ok, new o rings) the injectors. not much improvement on running. Swapped out injectors with alternative crossreferenced ones from NAPA ('94 Ford F150. Big $ savings) and that seemed to help.
- Did a compression test; 175 170, 175. good.
I now determined I've got a runner and am committed to complete the project. I admit I did not ride it yet but bumped it through the gears on the stand. Appears to shift ok.
I've since now sourced and obtained front cockpit fairing and signal lights, rad shroud, battery covers. All functional but different colors. More on this later.
I did the front and rear brakes and fork seals. I also replaced all fuel lines and crank vent hose and since I had the airbox out I replaced the FPR as well. This part I also crossreferenced at NAPA and got an equivalent. Big $ savings.
Thanks for reading. more to follow.

Offline mystic red

• Retired Professsional Driver
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: 1986 K75T project
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 01:53:29 PM »
I'm wanting pictures too....

Offline k75newb

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:15:54 PM »
Here's a more recent pic. Already sourced and replaced the T cockpit fairing, rear shock, and installed K100RS handlebars with risers. The parts on the ground are what was on the bike. Since I was in need of a tail upper and lower, I found a sweet deal on the 'police' solo seat and box so have since put that on with proper signal lights not the ones on pegs. I'm already thinking I should go with wider bars; 25" similar to C bars, and if I don't get the sticky throttle tube sorted I will for sure.

Offline k75newb

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 12:18:52 PM »
Replacement tank from K100. Missing the front pegs that the rad shroud attach to so I'll figure some other way of supporting this part.

Offline k75newb

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: 1986 K75T project (paint ideas)
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 06:30:11 PM »
As I get closer to completing this. I'm looking for some input on paint. As is obvious its a K75T (without the touring shield). I'm going with the police solo seat and do have the rad shroud and battery covers. I am committed to the small headlight cockpit fairing with signal lights. I'm leaning toward a white bike primarily. I think it would look good with the silver engine and wheels. Here's a couple of ideas I want to bounce off the Motobrickerhood.
I've always liked the Motorsport color scheme and the K series never got that treatment. My thoughts are something like the 78 R100RS. I'm thinking the painted portion of the K75 cockpit (just the part the signal lights attach to, not the vented piece) in red, the balance of the bike in white with some appropriate pinstriping to round out the look and...maybe the GS tank decal shown (without Dakar). I'm also not opposed to the other GS scheme with the two blues on the tank and doing the seat in red (you can find a pic online of what I mean).
Another direction I'm thinking is more like the Special Edition K. I had one of these (an '89 with ABS) and it was a looker. I think this look works because of the black engine and white wheels and I don't want to go there. And lastly, maybe just a white with blue accent stripes like the R100S shown.
Anyway looking for input and thanks for reading. Flame away. Cheers.

Tags: