Author Topic: Period correct driving lights?  (Read 591 times)

Offline Batan

• Motobrick Curious
Period correct driving lights?
« on: January 13, 2024, 12:31:31 AM »
Quite new on the forum, I got my first K-bike today. An '87 K75S.
I will be insuring it as a collector here in BC, Canada and as such it needs to have period correct modifications - if there are any. I am thinking about adding driving lights and was wondering if anybody knew of any period correct or even factory options for the year.
(Ideally I'd use the period correct lights but with LED bulbs inside.)

Thanks!

• Canada
  • Looking for a K75

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Period correct driving lights?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 11:02:46 AM »
PIAA 1100X were popular on Ks back in the day and now come in LED. However, the original ones had a silver casing and the LED 1100P are black.

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Batan

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 09:53:18 PM »
PIAA 1100X were popular on Ks back in the day and now come in LED. However, the original ones had a silver casing and the LED 1100P are black.

I will check them out, thank you.
  • Canada
  • Looking for a K75

Offline lefthander

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 07:07:27 PM »
 I have a set that I believe are OEM from the early k bike era. They are rectangle, black and when you push the switch one light comes on as a single driving light. When you switch to hi-beam that light turns off and the other light comes on. I believe it is supposed to operate as a fog light. I'm sure others here know more detail regarding these lights. This is just what I've had.
  • Savannah GA
  • 1992 k75, 2002 1150gs

Offline Batan

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 07:12:56 PM »
I have a set that I believe are OEM from the early k bike era. They are rectangle, black and when you push the switch one light comes on as a single driving light. When you switch to hi-beam that light turns off and the other light comes on. I believe it is supposed to operate as a fog light. I'm sure others here know more detail regarding these lights. This is just what I've had.

Do you have a photo?
  • Canada
  • Looking for a K75

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 07:16:21 PM »
I have a set that I believe are OEM from the early k bike era. They are rectangle, black and when you push the switch one light comes on as a single driving light. When you switch to hi-beam that light turns off and the other light comes on....

Friend of mine had an 86 K75T with those, I think they were OE  (the T was USA only) He could switch back and forth between hi and low beams and the lights would alternate, cars ahead of him thought he was the law and pulled over :laughing1:
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Batan

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 07:29:49 PM »
Friend of mine had an 86 K75T with those, I think they were OE  (the T was USA only) He could switch back and forth between hi and low beams and the lights would alternate, cars ahead of him thought he was the law and pulled over :laughing1:

Those are... huge!
  • Canada
  • Looking for a K75

Tags: lights factory