Author Topic: BMW Motosport badge/emblem  (Read 649 times)

Offline xyxy

• Motobrick Curious
BMW Motosport badge/emblem
« on: April 20, 2024, 02:08:40 AM »
Hey all, not sure where to post this, I have a question.
I want to replace old cracked tank logos on my k75, an I've found those M logos with helmet design.

Were they actually used by BMW on any of their motorcycle or those are 3d party?

• North California
  • '88 K 75 S (0563,0572)
'21 R NineT Scrambler

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: BMW Motosport badge/emblem
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 10:12:37 AM »
I don't believe that BMW would sully its 50 year anniversary emblem by placing a helmet in the center of it because the letters BMW and the Bavarian flag symbol are at the center of its universe. They'd be just as likely to put a spatula silhouette in there.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 12:20:54 PM »
My understanding of the BMW logo is it represents a spinning propeller,  that one makes me dizzy. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 12:45:03 PM »
My understanding of the BMW logo is it represents a spinning propeller,  that one makes me dizzy.
Look away!  :laughing4-giggles:

Here's the meaning from BMW's perspective.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 12:41:48 PM »
I've seen those badges too. To my knowledge they never used a helmet on their heritage badge. If you do want heritage badges, I got a guy that can print you metal badges with the right colors. Won't be enamel, but they look nice. I have them all over my bike.

Yes, they used the heritage badge on some k bikes. I have an oem k100 belly pan with oem paint and badge when I purchased it on ebay. The badge that was on it was the heritage badge. My buddy in CA also purchased a 94 k1100rs and had oem heritage badges on it too. It's correct for k bikes.

I measured the oem badge with calipers and color matched to pantones to create the vector art I gave my badge maker. He's reasonably cheap too, like $40 for the 5 badges I had made.
  • Austin TX
  • '93 k1100rs last 7 of vin-6495569
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2024, 12:44:28 PM »
Also the spinning propeller thing is a myth.  The design is just from the Bavarian flag...with the colors reversed due to some weird law about the Bavarian flag not being legal on commercial logos when the logo was originally conceived. Has nothing to do with propellers, but it's a nice story.
  • Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 12:47:31 PM »
Also, please note that the heritage badge and the current anniversary badge are similar, but not the same. The original motorrad heritage badge has a smaller bmw logo in the center of it than the current anniversary badge. The proportions of your helmet badge are right for heritage, but the helmet wouldn't be there and it's missing the BMW letters. Hmu if you want the art and details about the guy I had do my badges.
  • Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2024, 12:52:05 PM »
This is the correct one
  • Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 01:05:35 PM »
On the bike...these I color matched to my stripes(attempted to anyway) so the color is a little different than oem.
  • Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline xyxy

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2024, 02:32:43 PM »
On the bike...these I color matched to my stripes(attempted to anyway) so the color is a little different than oem.

Those looks nice! I found that BMW San Jose motorcycles do make them as well and was going to order, but haven't yet.

What would be the price if your friend makes them? I need two 70mm for tank, and I think 60mm for the rear, need to confirm sizes though.
  • North California
  • '88 K 75 S (0563,0572)
'21 R NineT Scrambler

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2024, 04:31:12 PM »
Look away!  :laughing4-giggles:

Here's the meaning from BMW's perspective.

Good link which explains the history of where the spinning prop thing came from.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2024, 04:41:15 PM »
Those looks nice! I found that BMW San Jose motorcycles do make them as well and was going to order, but haven't yet.

What would be the price if your friend makes them? I need two 70mm for tank, and I think 60mm for the rear, need to confirm sizes though.

70(2) for tank and 60 for tail cowl is correct.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2024, 12:09:09 PM »

I got 5 badges custom printed for like $40(i actually doubled that order in case of any future damage or loss for $60 so I keep spares). Its a guy I found on etsy that makes custom badges for the center of car rims.  The guy's name is Christiano, and he is out of Spain.  His english isnt great, so takes a little patience to get everything communicated. If you have access to ChatGPT it will translate your messages quite well and make the process easier.

Look for "Logocarhouse" on etsy...or click this link https://www.etsy.com/shop/LogoCarHouse?ref=yr_purchases.

If you message me via email at nick@zox.la I can send you the vector art and pantones for the correct heritage badge.

IMO it looks as good as the enamel(perhaps better), and they are durable enough that they last on my rear wheel next to my exhaust with brake dust and road grime.  He's pretty quick too, usually takes like a week to get em

If you do order from this guy, get the flat ones for the tank - the domed ones dont stick to the badge depression as well as the flat ones do.
  • Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs

Offline xyxy

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2024, 10:39:11 PM »
I got 5 badges custom printed

Thank you, I've sent you an email.
So you have those badges on wheels as well as on tanks?
  • North California
  • '88 K 75 S (0563,0572)
'21 R NineT Scrambler

Offline sooprvylyn

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2024, 06:52:31 PM »
I have the badges on my tank(70mm flat), on my engine spoiler(from a k100) in the stock location(60mm flat), on my rear wheel cap(70mm flat), and on my rear cowl(45mm domed). 

The tank size and the engine spoiler size match stock. The rear wheel never had a badge stock, I added it for my build. The rear cowl is custom made, I dont know OEM badge size for the stock rear end.

I do not keep my bike parked outside in sun for long periods of time, but I suspect the inks are fairly sun safe since they are intended for use on car wheels which see a lot of abuse.
  • Austin TX
Basic bitches ride Rs

Tags: