Author Topic: BEP 3.0 wiring with eBay speedometer  (Read 4005 times)

Offline Misterjibjab

• Curious
BEP 3.0 wiring with eBay speedometer
« on: May 09, 2020, 12:52:36 AM »
Hello all, I’m curious if anyone out there has a wiring diagram for this set up that I have. I have tried connecting the speedometer with all wires I need and can’t seem to get it to turn on. It won’t even start up with just the battery positive and ground connected. I have searched for a diagram but haven’t been able to find one. This is my first K bike and I am still learning so all the help I can get would be appreciated. This is on a 92 K75
  • Minnesota
  • K75

Offline Stumpy

• Motobrick Curious
Re: BEP 3.0 wiring with eBay speedometer
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 08:10:38 AM »
Are you sure that you have used the correct wires for earth? It could be black or green. Aftermarket parts could have different wiring to a motorcycles wiring.
  • Croydon
  • K100RT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 08:31:33 AM »
I have searched for a diagram but haven’t been able to find one.
Are you indicating that no wiring diagram was supplied with the speedometer or the BEP?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Misterjibjab

• Curious
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 06:28:23 PM »
Are you indicating that no wiring diagram was supplied with the speedometer or the BEP?

There was a wiring diagram but some of the colors wired don’t match up to where they are in the plug. Just wondering if there is a diagram out there of this exact set up since the one I have isn’t so good.
  • Minnesota
  • K75

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 08:52:42 PM »
You aren't giving us much to go on. We don't know the type of speedometer or how you have wired it. I suggest you read this thread. The situation might seem familiar and get you started.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline rbm

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 02:01:33 PM »
Read this manual I wrote:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IgZF3Qgx_Aa1mvcWAAjfVeTaBCb5WNkC

Remember that you have to connect all three power related wires - Ground, constant power and switched power - from the gauge to the BEP to get the gauge to power on. It won't power on if you miss one of these wires.  It looks like you are missing a wire based on your photograph.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Misterjibjab

• Curious
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 08:47:52 PM »
Read this manual I wrote:  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3UPbNZRyr1rYlJLWDFOTjg3ME0

Remember that you have to connect all three power related wires - Ground, constant power and switched power - from the gauge to the BEP to get the gauge to power on. It won't power on if you miss one of these wires.  It looks like you are missing a wire based on your photograph.

Okay, I looked into it and it seems like this configuration should work but it hasn't turned on . I connected the constant power to the battery input on the BEP and it worked but didn’t shut off. Am I using the wrong wires in the wrong inputs on the BEP or something? Thanks
  • Minnesota
  • K75

Offline rbm

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 09:08:09 PM »
The connections that you illustrated in the photo above appear to be correct.  Don't depend on the colours of the wires as they appear on the three small connectors.  Trace them back to the large 20-pin connector.  Make sure that the Green wire comes from Pin 18 of the 20 Pin connector, and not pin 19; make sure the red wire comes from Pin 8 and the black wire from Pin 2.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Misterjibjab

• Curious
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 09:47:44 PM »
The connections that you illustrated in the photo above appear to be correct.  Don't depend on the colours of the wires as they appear on the three small connectors.  Trace them back to the large 20-pin connector.  Make sure that the Green wire comes from Pin 18 of the 20 Pin connector, and not pin 19; make sure the red wire comes from Pin 8 and the black wire from Pin 2.

Ohhh true, haven’t thought of that. Would make sense if the colors don’t match up since it’s a cheap eBay one. I’ll give that a shot, thanks!
  • Minnesota
  • K75

Offline Misterjibjab

• Curious
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 04:51:01 PM »

You are a genius, it works! Thanks for the help everyone!
  • Minnesota
  • K75

Offline Skunky

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 06:22:59 PM »
Hi Misterjab, I used the same speedo and BEP setup on my build and it works great. I put this thread on the site as it gives information on the switches that were not in the BEP  instructions which you might find helpful.

https://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,11622.0.html

• Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Tags: