Author Topic: MDAY15 -K75 Strut rebuild parts- Enduralast at EME v OEMv SEALMATE  (Read 8841 times)

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
Re: MDAY15 -K75 Strut rebuild parts- Enduralast at EME v OEMv SEALMATE
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2020, 10:39:11 AM »
“Braking to the threshold of traction “-like 1300s said is more what I was trying to describe.  Thanks, and yes, I’ve found using the ABS as a tool to discover the threshold of traction has improved my riding especially after migraine from a non ABS brick.

Excuse me while I go straighten out my nose.

Still hunting for Volar ABS front and rear kit .  Are ABS and non ABS pads different?
  • Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2020, 01:40:39 PM »
As far as I can tell they're the same for ABS or non-ABS.  The outfit I get mine from is D2Moto.  They are a seller on eBay. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2020, 02:23:51 PM »
As far as I can tell they're the same for ABS or non-ABS.  The outfit I get mine from is D2Moto.  They are a seller on eBay.

Thanks for the feedback, The parts do look alike. My thought is suppliers create auctions in sloppy fashion to match search that don't necessarily match the app.  One I recall was K75 85-88 ABS etc.

order in process. Cheers!
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2020, 04:00:57 PM »
One warning on the Volar pads. The backing plates seem to be punched with old tooling.  Probably why they are so cheap.  That makes some of them a couple thousandths oversize.  Not a big deal, it just takes a couple minutes with a file to knock off the extra metal to get a nice fit in the caliper.  They also like to squeal a bit, so a little anti-squeak on the back will make it easier to sneak up on pedestrians.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2020, 05:10:11 PM »
One warning on the Volar pads. The backing plates seem to be punched with old tooling.  Probably why they are so cheap.  That makes some of them a couple thousandths oversize.  Not a big deal, it just takes a couple minutes with a file to knock off the extra metal to get a nice fit in the caliper.  They also like to squeal a bit, so a little anti-squeak on the back will make it easier to sneak up on pedestrians.

So I might have pulled the trigger on the Volars but tired of hunting for the best Match of EBay auction to my year and spec.

I chose Caltric brand semi metallics made in China.  I like what they sent $17.78 shipped.

Off for 4 days, time to service the tranny splines and turn around and start reassembly in earnest.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2020, 11:15:02 PM »
Mahle Air Filter $40.47 shipped Euro Moto Electrics ... No sense in syncing my throttle bodies, valve shins etc without a fresh air filter.   

Cancelled July 19 - Amazon much better deal per Gryph.

• Administrator
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2020, 01:32:30 PM »
$29.31 after tax.  Thanks Gryph!!

I think this idea for shim removal is brilliant- compressed air!

I can’t endorse some of the other klugey stuff like grinding shins to size.... He compresses the spring with a screwdriver...Maybe on the side of the road in Alaska, but never for a first experience like I just enjoyed. Buy the spring tool forevermore!! I spent a lot of time getting comfortable that I was measuring etc accurately not confusing SAE and Metric tolerances, revisiting Youtube. Nevertheless, the compressed air is an elegant solution worth sharing.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2020, 10:38:40 PM »
Valve adjust done.  Compressed air for shim release from oil suction inside bucket +1 .  Included a pic of the shim popped loose behind the cam🤣! Fast.  Look how much of an oil puddle sits behind the shim even after a month.  Pretty frustrating fighting that with a pick and scratching stuff in the klugey process..Compressed air instantly breaks that suction seal.  Video added 7/24. bad mechanic, spark plugs last....

Most crank the engine for valve adjust with hex sections cast into the cams, I prefer a 5mm hex head turning at the ignition trigger, a ratchet there is more precise than clanging away with a combination wrench  all props to Chris Harris.... on the cam and dinging against the case to valve cover sealing surface. 
another side track--

Last fall I tipped in a parking lot scratching the corner of the valve cover, so I carefully filed sanded buffer sanded and repainted. 

Mititoya pro grade digital caliper and Chinese manual compared and measured very similarly.  For giggles I compared Harbor Freight cheapo caliper.  Unacceptable readings- sufficiently inaccurate it would create more problems... shit canned that- don’t need 3 dial calipers.  Mitutoya is about $70 -a good investment.

A month later and I have yet to sort the front struts that got me started here.  That will come last.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2021, 11:49:29 PM »
Its been nearly a year since I worked actively on my K75. Shoulder surgery, so much COVID TV to watch.  Actually, I've restored a couple of other bikes so here goes:

The shop is cleaned and the parts are laying out like surgery.  I didn't address lubricating my clutch splines, so I sprang for a fresh friction disk and the requisite hardware necessary from MAX.  With my K1100 still occupying my support, I'll have to come up with a second support apparatus before I can remove the transmission.  pictures Saturday. Cheers.

Tags: