Author Topic: Hello from Cape Town  (Read 367 times)

Offline K75user1979

• Curious
Hello from Cape Town
« on: October 19, 2023, 02:19:14 PM »
Goodevening forum, just joined from South Africa.

I just love the way this bike rides, cannot get enough of it actually.   My other bikes are sitting a little neglected whilst I get through this initial new bike phase.   Ok, to backtrack a little.. I acquired this k75 from a friend of my Dads who had to quit riding due to Alzheimers, sad story.  The bike had been garaged for about 8 years and with a full tank of fuel.. in hindsight this was a good thing because when it came to cleaning out the tank, it didn't have any nasty buildup where there was fuel. 

I replaced the tank innards, changed all the fluids.. the usual stuff when bringing an old bike back to life.  I also cleaned out the injectors, I spent about 2 weeks methodically going over everything that would enable a quick initial start.  The first start was predictable, I think it was about 4s of cranking before she fired to life.   

It really is satisfying having done good ground work before the first start.   Once I had the bike running well, I dismantled the final drive which seemed to be in good condition.  Splines were lubed and look ok.   I found a product called 'Jetlube mp50' which has enough moly to serve the purpose. 

Looking forward to learning more about this bike and will no doubt be asking questions here and helping where I can. 

https://youtu.be/O38cdL5vU2s?si=cXlGwshTjdHtIhBQ

Video of first ride 
  • Cape Town
  • K75s, dr650se, dl650xt

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Hello from Cape Town
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 04:39:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the photos. That Brick looks good. How many km on the odometer?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 07:05:15 PM »
Nice find, good to see one that's not hacked up.  Interesting reflector treatment on the forks.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline K75user1979

• Curious
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 03:32:06 AM »
ODO reads 77000kms.

I'm going to remove the reflector tape now that you mention it. 
  • Cape Town
  • K75s, dr650se, dl650xt

Tags: