Author Topic: New to me K75 in Phoenix, AZ.  (Read 682 times)

Offline PhoenixDave

• Curious
New to me K75 in Phoenix, AZ.
« on: December 10, 2023, 04:21:13 PM »
Early Christmas present to me...1995 K75 with 38k miles!

I've been riding for years, but I have been on a 10 year life break since my last ride.  Have historically been a Triumph rider and my last ride was a 98 Triumph Sprint.  Always wanted a brick, but was never in a position to get one, until two weeks ago.  Just happened to be on marketplace and saw it pop up one day, and it caught my eye.  I knew what it was the instant I saw it, and the 2000 dollar pricetag made me ask the seller a few questions.  He was the second owner, and looked to be about the same age as the bike!  He had picked it up with the intention of turning it into a cafe racer.  He purchased it running from the original owner, with what he told me was a bad timing chain rattle.  He left it sit in his garage with stale gas and on trying to crank it over several months later, welded the starter relay closed.  At that point, he decided it was more than he wanted to deal with so on marketplace it went.  Since I figured I needed a project to keep my sanity as I get a bit older, I decided I had to have it. 

On getting it home, I decided I would open up the starter relay and sand the relay contacts so I could at least attempt a start of the engine while waiting for a new relay to arrive. Turns out, his diagnostic ability leaves a bit to be desired as its clearly not a timing chain rattle I hear, as its coming from the back of the engine.  At this point, I was 90% sure there was an issue with the alternator, and sure enough, pulling the 50a alternator confirms that the drive cup (alternator clutch housing) had two of the three tabs broken and the rubber cushions totally shredded.  A bit of homework to get the right part number and a quick tour of ebay, turned up a suitable cup from a K1200LT with the right part number 12312305329. 

That with a new set of rubber cushions, and for less that 40 dollars, the supposed "timing chain rattle" was no more!   

So, turns out that with a bit of flushing out the tank, the fuel pump works fine, and there is no sign of disintegration of any rubber bits in the tank that I can see.  I did order some submersible fuel line just in case I needed it, and I will need a small piece of that on the exterior line to the fuel injection rail as its got a bit of cracking due to age...kinda like me, so I understand.

Put some fresh 91 octane in it with some Techron fujel cleaner and voila, we have a runner.  No sign of any rattle or unusual noise from the engine and its surprisingly smooth running for not having run in a couple years or so.

So now the routine maintenance begins, to get this neglected beauty back to a state of known maintenance.  I spent some quality time this past weekend draining final drive and gearbox oil and replacing that.  Fresh engine oil and filter change.  New spark plugs.  Replaced front and rear brake fluids. I've got some clutch parts on order for standby just in case, as the next major project will be to take her down to the clutch for a spline lube and work my way back through the driveshaft and final drive splines. 

I have not found ANYTHING MAJORLY wrong with this K75, other than it wanting some love.  I simply couldn't wait to ride it, so I have been riding it around as I complete each service...its a wonderful riding bike.  Very smooth engine and good throttle response.  I can tell it WANTS to run a lot faster than how far I am twisting the throttle!.  Easy does it...we'll get there soon enough.  I wont be putting any miles on it until I can inspect the clutch and other drive splines.  So far so good for 2000 bux.  Oh, the heated grips are a nice touch for arthritic hands!  I am quite enjoying that as I've not had them before on any of my Triumphs.  I do wish the bars were a bit higher and a bit further back as my wrists would appreciate that a bit more than the bars that are on there now, but I'll manage with these.  Its a really nice looking bike that I've always appreciated the lines of.  Just classic.  I've already gotten several complements on it as I've driven it around the neighborhood.

Thanks guys for letting me browse be a part of the shop here.  Lots of great info to be found via search.  I've bookmarked several pages already.  Looking forward to hanging around here a bit as I get this K75 up to snuff again.  Looking forward to some good Arizona riding!

PhoenixDave
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • 95 K75s

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
Re: New to me K75 in Phoenix, AZ.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 08:05:09 PM »
Nice to see a well preserved nearly bone stock K75S!  And it even has the iconic 22 liter tailback.  The Aeroflow windscreen is a huge improvement over stock, imho.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Kt88

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 02:37:01 AM »
Looking great. Thanks for rescuing it from death by neglect.
  • Miami Beach, FL
  • 92 K75s

Offline caveman

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 05:02:24 AM »
PhoenixDave,
Nice find! I put barbacks and a "comfort" seat on one of mine. Helps my beat up body for longer rides. Enjoy!
  • Kennerdell, PA.
  • 87 K100RT, 88 K100LT

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 07:26:01 AM »
The stock  handlebars are the correct/best handlebars for a K75S.

Learn about adjustments you can make and read the Master Yoda stuff on this page:
http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/yoda/yoda.htm
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 08:44:05 AM »
I liked the bar backs on my K75s.  Took them off for a bit and didn't enjoy the reach, put them back on.  I thing the earlier K75s's had a shorter slightly or lower handlebar than the later models.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline PhoenixDave

• Curious
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 09:24:19 AM »
The stock  handlebars are the correct/best handlebars for a K75S.

Learn about adjustments you can make and read the Master Yoda stuff on this page:
http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/yoda/yoda.htm

Greatly appreciate the link and that reminder.  I need to practice MYRP as I was aware that excess weight on the handlebars is not ideal for handling, but moreso on the comfort side for me as I have arthritic wrists.  TY!   
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • 95 K75s

Offline PhoenixDave

• Curious
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 06:37:15 PM »
Finishing up some of the last major service checks before I give this thing a clean bill of health. 

As this is my first K bike, I thought it best to spend some time this morning learning how to break down the rear of the bike for final drive spline check and lubrication. Really happy to see that the final drive and driveshaft splines are in pretty good condition.  Cleaned them up and re-greased with moly paste. 

Driveshaft u-joint was nice and smooth in motion with no notchy spots.  I would have continued on into transmission removal and the clutch spline lube, but I am still waiting on "just in case parts" so this is as far as I went before calling it quits and putting things back together.  No worries as I need the practice and it was a really nice morning to be putzing about in the garage getting in some quality time. Not that difficult of a job to do and a quite enjoyable morning.
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • 95 K75s

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 07:30:51 PM »
How many miles on it? Can't be many with those splines. The splines that are subject to wear are the rear splines on the drive shaft.

Thank doG you saved it from getting cafe'd.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2023, 10:14:08 PM »
Those splines look brand new.  Your photos are the best I have seen around here as far as showing the condition of the splines. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2023, 09:15:50 AM »
Great find and save!
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Tags: