Author Topic: Things that will absolutely get you killed on the road.  (Read 26591 times)

Offline bikesnbones

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Things that will absolutely get you killed on the road.
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2016, 05:27:55 AM »
As a rider from the UK I was warned by my instructor that if there was an opportunity to filter safely during my bike test and I didn't do it I would fail.

Filtering is perfectly safe, when executed safely and responsibly.
In 35 years of riding (25 of those being in London), I have never had any kind of incident when doing it.
Anyone who thinks it's the "stupidest" thing to do on a bike, frankly should stay in their car.
  • Peterborough UK

Offline billday

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2016, 11:08:09 AM »
Filtering is perfectly safe, when executed safely and responsibly.
In 35 years of riding (25 of those being in London), I have never had any kind of incident when doing it.
Anyone who thinks it's the "stupidest" thing to do on a bike, frankly should stay in their car.

Hey go easy there. Filtering is illegal in most of the US, the only experience we have is seeing it done badly by irresponsible types.

The fact that it's not done over here also means that motorists don't expect it, don't know to look out for it, and don't respond well when they see it done.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline bikesnbones

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2016, 04:08:45 PM »
Hey go easy there. Filtering is illegal in most of the US, the only experience we have is seeing it done badly by irresponsible types.

The fact that it's not done over here also means that motorists don't expect it, don't know to look out for it, and don't respond well when they see it done.

That sucks.
So what you're saying is that in the USA, there is absolutely no point in using a motorcycle in built up congested area's.
If you have to sit in traffic, then you might as well take the car and do it in comfort.
 :musicboohoo:
  • Peterborough UK

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2016, 04:16:25 PM »
That sucks.
So what you're saying is that in the USA, there is absolutely no point in using a motorcycle in built up congested area's.
If you have to sit in traffic, then you might as well take the car and do it in comfort.
 :musicboohoo:

CA is congested and it's legal there.  The rest of the country is all purple mountains and wide open plains, the only congestion is from ragweed and pollen.   :riding:
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Martin

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2016, 05:52:27 PM »
In QLD we are limited to a speed of 30 Kph when filtering, and I believe this helps. But you need to be aware of where you can and can't filter safely . We can also use bicycle lanes at traffic lights as long as we stay 1 metre away from bicycles, which you can do most of the time. Japanese and Italian crotch rockets tend to blast through when highway traffic is stalled, but what they don't realise is that this is a trial, and if they don't follow the guide lines lane filtering could be banned.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline riots100

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2016, 10:24:51 PM »
the only experience we have is seeing it done badly by irresponsible types

There are plenty of us who would take exception to that statement.  I consider lane filtering a vital safety perk to the point where I feel more vulnerable when I'm riding outside the State of California.  There are many riders in California who are very responsible and don't go FWO between cars.  Some of them even ride Harleys!
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1992 K75, 2007 K1200GT, 1991 K100RS
----
BDJ

Offline Scud

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2016, 01:54:53 AM »
I split lanes almost every day. Been doing it for close to 30 years. Not so much on the freeway anymore, because I have a short commute.

Inattention will get you killed.
  • Carlsbad, CA
  • 1992 K75s. 2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Scura, 2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans. 2007 Husqvarna TE450

Offline billday

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2016, 08:06:34 AM »
There are plenty of us who would take exception to that statement.  I consider lane filtering a vital safety perk to the point where I feel more vulnerable when I'm riding outside the State of California.  There are many riders in California who are very responsible and don't go FWO between cars.  Some of them even ride Harleys!

Sorry, by "We" I meant "People in the US who live where filtering is illegal." I live in New York and I wish I could do it legally.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline bikesnbones

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2016, 01:21:28 PM »
There are plenty of us who would take exception to that statement.  I consider lane filtering a vital safety perk to the point where I feel more vulnerable when I'm riding outside the State of California. 

In congested area's, bikes should be part of the solution to the problem, not part of it.
  • Peterborough UK

Offline The Dude

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »
I realised early on that having a slight speed difference can help "wipe"the retinas of other drivers which makes you more noticeable on fast moving but congested highways.
Also, at road junctions with the car waiting to pull out and the motorcyclist approaching that car then if the motorcyclist can wipe their retinas( as opposed to heading virtually straight for them) by actually wobbling the bike this works to improve your visability.I do this regularly as I am sure it helps remove that excuse of "I didn't see the motorcyclist coming".
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Tags: