Author Topic: Building a bike that the mods will wish they had  (Read 67507 times)

Offline BENSPEN

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: K100rs Luftmiester Turbo
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 10:36:20 PM »
Thanks Racket, that brightened my Google search, yeah "the box" is the air accumulator, and where the breather would be attached there is a cap which I figured was because they didn't want to pressurize the crankcase, but what do I know. So the only function of the box is to split the intake into 4 throttle bodies, which could be done by some interesting hose thing.
Thanks again

Haha laitch, yeah, I know that iroquois too, and for the record, I was changing the tires, sprockets and chain, and the clutch plates after I did that burnout!! The burnout warmed the oil up so I could change it. Also a week before I sold it. Oops

Thanks laitch I appreciate your very kind words and appreciate your help!
  • VT
  • 87 K100rs

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
  • ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2016, 11:53:02 PM »
Dude, you ain't real! Why so much effort spoofing us? We know who you are! :euro

Don't read to much into anything posted here.  When Martin or I say welcome to the asylum, we mean it :hehehe.  Basically, a bunch of intellectually sharp, mechanically inclined, older men here...with lots of inside jokes.  I was the youngest until you showed up :clap:.  We all just love the K and the design that went into her.  Their many incarnations (touring, sport, cafe, sKambler, turbo) are a statement on their versatility :bmwsmile.
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 12:12:04 AM »
+1 We have more nuts here than a Kingaroy peanut farm. You will develop a thicker skin, it is part of life, so be grateful for the education. But the accrued knowledge found here is priceless. Sit back relax and enjoy the asylum. :popcorm :hehehe
Regards one of the nuts.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2016, 09:29:46 AM »
. . . for the record, I was changing the tires, sprockets and chain, and the clutch plates after I did that burnout!! The burnout warmed the oil up so I could change it.
When you enter university, Ben, consider taking a minor in Law with your engineering major. That's an adroit defense of a burnout! :giggles
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline bocutter Ed

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2016, 10:12:16 AM »
+1 We have more nuts here than a Kingaroy peanut farm.
I actually do maintenance work at a local roastary. The small batch, dry roast peanuts are good but I hold out for the EVO roast cashews.  :lets-eat:
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline Martin

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2016, 03:50:10 PM »
 :2thumbup: Cashews :lets-eat:

Offline BENSPEN

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
Thank you all for the welcome to the forum! especially those of you making peanut references.
Laitch, There is never a good defense for a burnout! But I guess that's why a lot of people  do them.

But, to my project, I have two questions:
1. My bike smokes when left on the side stand, I understand this is nearly inevitable. But my bike is high mileage and I would like to do something to prevent the "Dragons Breath", I don't want to bore it out. I actually would like to keep my pistons, is there a place I can get just rings that will seal better than my worn ones? Also, is there a chance I have a leak in my valve seal? do Ks have valve seals and do they commonly leak?

2. What do you guys think the best way to refinish some beat up head and crank covers?

Thanks for the advice!
-Ben
  • VT
  • 87 K100rs

Offline Martin

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2016, 06:01:06 PM »
Try leaning your bike to the right for 30 seconds after you have switched it off. You can't really bore them out the bores are Nikasil lined. If the smoke worries you put it on the centre stand. As for the covers wet and dry of various grades working from coarse to smooth. Then buffing wheels on a bench grinder. If they have got deep gouges fill, sand and paint, Rustoleum satin black is a good match for OEM finish or can go out there with the classic crinkle finish it covers a multitude of sins.
Regards Martin.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2016, 09:22:07 PM »
But my bike is high mileage and I would like to do something to prevent the "Dragons Breath", I don't want to bore it out. I actually would like to keep my pistons, is there a place I can get just rings that will seal better than my worn ones?

LOOK HERE
I am planning to use this speedometer
http://japan.webike.net/products/21744359.html
eIm having trouble interpreting RHB's thread, could someone please tell me the bare minimum I would have to do to make it work. I will also be using a warning light bank if anyone could give me advice on that
65K is not high mileage. Your bike's condition is likely a product of neglect, not high mileage. Until compression, vacuum and leakdown tests have been performed on the engine, its condition is unknown. You didn't write that you have done any of those. The piston rings may just need exercise. If the bike is parked in an ever-expanding, glistening pool of its own lubricants, that might indicate a problem.

Park it on a K1100 centerstand—once you find one—when it's not going to be ridden regularly.

Regarding the speedometer and the RHB thread: Who is RHB? Why are you buying a speedometer that doesn't have instructions in English? What is it about that one that makes it so attractive?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline bocutter Ed

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2016, 09:44:01 PM »
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2016, 09:45:46 PM »
I'll guess rbm ...
Maybe. :giggles  If that's the case, that already is "the bare minimum." :hehehe
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline BENSPEN

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2016, 07:29:53 AM »
Hello again,
I would have responded last night, but I was watching the "debate"

Yes, I was referring to rbm, I apologize for that.

And for the oil issue, I have a centerstans, but the po put a 160 on the back, so, until I change the tires, I'm on the side stand, but I do plan to change tires over the winter. But I really don't want to be burning any oil, I'm burning a ton, I definetly want to do the rings, but do you guys think 29 year old valve seals could be an issue? Also, if you guys have changed rings before, could you please help me find a place to purchase them?
Thank you
-Ben
  • VT
  • 87 K100rs

Offline BENSPEN

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2016, 07:30:53 AM »
Also, I like that speedometer because it is digital, small, and a tachometer and speedometer and odometer
  • VT
  • 87 K100rs

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2016, 08:31:14 AM »
How much oil are you using?  My K100RS was getting about 6-700 milles to a quart of oil and you could smell it in the exhaust.  Compression looked good, but I didn't do a leak down test.

Last winter I changed the valve stem oil seals, and after a summer of riding, the bike still pretty much uses the same amount of oil, about a quart every 800 miles. 

The next stop is rings, but figuring the job is going to cost at least $400 and that can buy enough Rotella to go over 50,000 miles I'm going to pass and just ride the hell out of the bike, especially since it still runs like a beast despite the oil usage.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 09:01:16 AM »
I definetly want to do the rings, but do you guys think 29 year old valve seals could be an issue? Also, if you guys have changed rings before, could you please help me find a place to purchase them?
Any old part can be an issue, Ben, that's why tests are done to determine if they are an issue. This is one site you can use to identify parts and part numbers, then you can buy from them or go shopping with the number.

They're relatively nearby and delivery is pretty quick.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline racket

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2016, 09:09:25 AM »
Looks like a repair kit is $61 per cylinder. Plus, you know, completely pulling apart the engine. 

• Philadelphia, PA
  • 1986 BMW K100

Offline racket

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2016, 09:14:51 AM »
Has anyone ever bought a new engine block or attempted to build a brand new K100 engine from dealer parts?
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • 1986 BMW K100

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2016, 09:24:01 AM »
Has anyone ever bought a new engine block or attempted to build a brand new K100 engine from dealer parts?
Highjack. :nono
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline racket

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2016, 09:27:31 AM »
Highjack. :nono

Yeah you're right  :dunno

My bad!
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • 1986 BMW K100

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2016, 10:07:01 AM »
Also, I like that speedometer because it is digital, small, and a tachometer and speedometer and odometer
You should add its field reliability, adaptability to the bike and quality of support into that equation before you get carried away by looks and price, Ben. Looks and price work well for the dating scene though. :hehehe

About oil consumption: check out p. 58 of the 1984 K100 riders handbook. They might have quit publishing that tasty performance detail by now.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline The Dude

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2016, 02:44:17 PM »
Hey Ben,
Wanting to break into the motor is only natural but it can become an excersise in satisfying your curiosity without actually sorting the possibly imagined problem.Some people use synthetic oils early on which prevent the rings from bedding in...some people don't or won't thrash their motors enough.One possility is that the bores have been damaged from too much pinking(preignition)....
Give the bike a good thrashing for a tankful and use a 25 mm slab of custom wood to rest your centre stand on for now.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline BENSPEN

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2016, 03:37:30 PM »
How much oil are you using?  My K100RS was getting about 6-700 milles to a quart of oil and you could smell it in the exhaust.  Compression looked good, but I didn't do a leak down test.

Last winter I changed the valve stem oil seals, and after a summer of riding, the bike still pretty much uses the same amount of oil, about a quart every 800 miles. 

The next stop is rings, but figuring the job is going to cost at least $400 and that can buy enough Rotella to go over 50,000 miles I'm going to pass and just ride the hell out of the bike, especially since it still runs like a beast despite the oil usage.

I was probably burning a quart about every 400 miles, but I do not want to be blowing oil into my turbo. I guess I will have to pull the engine apart and figure that out. Thanks!

Hey Ben,
Wanting to break into the motor is only natural but it can become an excersise in satisfying your curiosity without actually sorting the possibly imagined problem.Some people use synthetic oils early on which prevent the rings from bedding in...some people don't or won't thrash their motors enough.One possility is that the bores have been damaged from too much pinking(preignition)....
Give the bike a good thrashing for a tankful and use a 25 mm slab of custom wood to rest your centre stand on for now.

I dont think it was detonating, but It is definetly a possibility, I was really easy on it this summer just because the bike was super sketchy, What can these bikes safely rev out to? Thanks, and I am trying to get the 160/centre stand thing figured out currently.

Looks and price work well for the dating scene though. :hehehe

Haha fair enough, I am only concerned about the turbo after witnessing the gruesome sight of at least 20k of negligence.

Yeah you're right  :dunno

My bad!

Hijacks are fine at this point, this thread will be quiet for about another week and a half when I start the speedometer wiring endeavor.

Any old part can be an issue, Ben, that's why tests are done to determine if they are an issue. This is one site you can use to identify parts and part numbers, then you can buy from them or go shopping with the number.

They're relatively nearby and delivery is pretty quick.
Thanks!! Good site.

• VT
  • 87 K100rs

Offline BENSPEN

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2016, 03:44:33 PM »
Try leaning your bike to the right for 30 seconds after you have switched it off. You can't really bore them out the bores are Nikasil lined. If the smoke worries you put it on the centre stand. As for the covers wet and dry of various grades working from coarse to smooth. Then buffing wheels on a bench grinder. If they have got deep gouges fill, sand and paint, Rustoleum satin black is a good match for OEM finish or can go out there with the classic crinkle finish it covers a multitude of sins.
Regards Martin.

Useful Information, thank you. I didnt know about the Nikasil thing. And thanks for the advice on the cover finishing, will definitely do.
  • VT
  • 87 K100rs

Offline Tuco

• Gone ridin' !
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Ready, Set, Go!
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2016, 03:51:11 PM »
I'm surprised at the the 160 tire on the snowflake rim.
  • Waldport, Oregon
  • '87 K100LT, '87 K100RS, '97 DR350

Offline BAMBAM1039

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2016, 03:26:44 PM »
well ben i previously posted twice but they seemed to have disappeared my pity is on you as i too tried to buy this from a bipolar man in maine but after a month in a half of haggling he twice blew me off on day of pick up  he also bragged to me that it ran and drove perfect but i could not test drive it   i was to buy it for 1900 i hope you did better  as parts for turbo system are hard to come by.  If you decide to change systems i might be interested in buying complete turbo system   let me know thanks  dan 1-203-675-3761
  • CONNECTICUT
  • PRESENT 1990 KAWASAKI ZX11 TURBO 2010 VICTORY HAMMER S 1995 K1100LT PAST RUPP BLACK WIDOW BENELLI VOLCANO 180 1975 HONDA XL250 1977 HONDA MR175 1971 HONDA SL350 1974 INDIAN 100 1976 SUZUKI TS100 1984 KAWASAKI GPZ 750 1985 KAWASAKI NINJA 900 1984 KAWASAKI NINJA900/1000 NITROUS DRAG BIKE 1990 ZX11 1992 ZX11 1986 NINJA 1000 1990 ZX750 1998 zx9 2000 ZX12 2006 ZX10 2006 ZX14

Tags: