Author Topic: Building a bike that the mods will wish they had  (Read 67508 times)

Offline BENSPEN

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Building a bike that the mods will wish they had
« on: October 16, 2016, 12:24:26 PM »
Hello All,
I have been a part of the forums here for a while now, but I have finally made some progress in my build and think I should document it. I have never really posted anything valuable in this forum, so consider this my introduction as well.

Hello, my name is Ben, I am a 17 year old who works as a mechanic at a local truck shop in Vermont, I race NESC Motocross and broke my radius and my ulna in a race last week, I decided to call it quits on the season and have started my K100 project I have been so anxiously awaiting. So, here is my story....

In July I purchased a K100rs with 65k on the clock, It was in ROUGH shape, unfortunately I had to ship the bike because I had no time to pick it up from the seller, I knew it was a bad idea but i wanted the Turbo Bike and decided to test my luck (seller was also a douche). When it arrived, it looked much worse than it did in the photos (Expected). The previous owner was quite the whackjob, he had some interesting stickers on the headlight (see photos) and carbon fiber wrap on the bike, he crudely painted the fairing which was not even taken off. he also painted the tank rattle can black, right over the stock paint, it also had a very bent brake lever, if anyone has a spare please let me know, I need a new one. It had skull blinkers on it and it just looked aesthetically awful. The first thing I did was look into the turbo which the seller boasted about continuously. I looked in and saw the worst, it was seized. but the bike actually ran relatively well, so I decided I would run it with "No Boost" for the rest of the summer. The bike was really slow so it was hard to not tear into it. The first issue was the taillight, after a couple hours with a power probe, it was grounded improperly by the previous owner, the wiring was all messed up after fixing it the lever switch worked, but not the pedal, so I got ripped off by my local shop for 65 dollars for a new pedal switch. I took off the fairing and decided to run it as a streetfighter for the rest of the summer as the fairing was falling apart. there was another electrical problem though, it would not turn over, and after replacing the battery (The old one was cooked, thanks PO) it would still not turn over, i traced it to a chafed wire creating a dead short. fixed that and it had electric start again. with the tank off, I noticed the previous owner had put in some auxiliary relay, and a bunch of scottie jacks, after a lot of soldering, the wiring was 100% again. I changed every oil (and filter) in the bike and they all looked like they had been used for 2 times as long as they should have been. It has always had a smoking on start issue that I blamed on the rings and the side stand, so i bought a center stand to replace the broken one the PO sold it with, but it didnt fit because the PO put a 160 on the rear  :nono , so i added some oil stabilizer (didnt help) and went on riding it, but it still smoked and I was okay with it because I really didn't have anything to lose. It was now street legal, and although it looked HORRIBLE, I rode it with my motocross helmet up until last week.

EDIT: also changed fuel filter and cheap emgo headlight, and none of the gauges were hooked up by the PO (Boost....etc)

I have now started looking into the bike and tearing it down, it is filthy and ive been cleaning the parts I take off. But the turbo has all of my attention, after I removed all the bolts, I had the compressor housing removed, but the CHRA was just stuck into the turbine housing, I had to use an oxy acetylene torch to heat up the exhaust housing and use a porta power with all 10 tons to split it, and the CHRA went flying, unfortunately upon impact, the compressor impeller was ruined, it was already lightly bent on one blade, but now it is junk.

When I looked at the turbine impeller, I knew it was the cause of the seizing, it had literally 2mm of carbon buildup on it, I beleive this is a byproduct of the oil burning on start, because im sure it smoked when the previous owner rode it. so, a message to all turbo owners, IF YOU HAVE A TURBO BIKE MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT BURN OIL, ALSO USE UNLEADED FUEL, to reduce the carbon deposits in the turbo which have caused me a lot of headache.

The IHI RHB52 VC19 turbo was put onto the second gen turbo bikes by luftmiester, it is a bushinged turbo that is super simple, my turbo had about 3mm of both axial and radial play. I have my turbo completely dissasembled and am ready to put a rebuild kit in it, it is really simple, but you need a microscopic snap ring tool.

Rebuild kit that MIGHT work (Ill figure out)(will need different snap rings) = http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minor-half-kit-for-IHI-RHB5-RHB51-RHB52-Turbo-Rebuild-Repair-Kit-/271401680499?hash=item3f30ccfe73:m:mrDRjOvlW3hC8WnnHFQ1hHQ&vxp=mtr

My plan for the bike is to turn it into a retro-neo queered-out racer with very modern components, but it will have NO chrome and have very moderate aesthetic touches.

To Do List:
Get Compressor wheel and compressor impeller for turbo
Rings on all 4
Repaint some engine parts and the intercooler
Paint tank and queered-out seat
wire speedo and headlight
repaint rims (Gunmetal)
New horn
Make rear frame loop
Refinish crank and head covers
Media Blast a lot of parts
new tires (maybe whitewalls)
Clean EVERYTHING
Clip ons
Spline lube job
new K&N filters
Cut or remove fenders
Make new peg plates**
New cover for inside the head cover (thing that says BMW)**
Make queered-out Seat Pan**
Upholster seat
Custom Exhaust (straight pipe from turbo, will be baffled)**

**= I have access to use a cnc plasma cutter and I am very good at CAD and will be making these parts out of S.S

LOOK HERE
I am planning to use this speedometer
http://japan.webike.net/products/21744359.html

Im having trouble interpreting RHB's thread, could someone please tell me the bare minimum I would have to do to make it work. I will also be using a warning light bank if anyone could give me advice on that
  • VT
  • 87 K100rs

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: K100rs Luftmiester Turbo
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 12:43:16 PM »
Welcome to the funny farm.  Looks like you have a nice project on your hands. 

Let me say that for a 17 year old working as a mechanic you have have an impressive grasp of the English language including both spelling and grammar, much better than nearly all your age.  I am especially impressed by the fact that you correctly spell "lose" with a single "o".

Here's looking forward to following your project and helping wherever possible.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline BENSPEN

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 12:51:12 PM »
Thank you very much, its good to know there are people who dont judge my mechanical knowledge based on my age. I have been working on dirt bikes for quite a few years now and I am excited to start a real project. Side note, if my spelling or grammar is ever askew, its only because I was rushing or anxious to work on my brick!

I have many photos to post, but I am having a lot of trouble getting them in my post, whenever I try to post the attachments, it "uploads" for a few minutes. When it finishes it takes me back to the reply page and does not post my reply. I am working on it though, and expect them soon.

Thanks!
-Ben
  • VT
  • 87 K100rs

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 01:03:23 PM »
I have many photos to post, but I am having a lot of trouble getting them in my post, whenever I try to post the attachments, it "uploads" for a few minutes. When it finishes it takes me back to the reply page and does not post my reply. I am working on it though, and expect them soon.
Welcome, Ben.

Your photos are too large; that's the problem. You shouldn't upload them straight from your phone or camera without resizing them first. Be sure that they're 8" width or less, for starters. Do that and they should upload ok.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Martin

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 02:13:31 PM »
Welcome to the asylum from the land of OZ. Sounds like you have your head screwed on you should do well.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline BENSPEN

• ^ Motobrick Curious
A Few Pics
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 02:34:17 PM »
Turbo Pics

The sediment came from the turbo filter.
There is a wastegate photo in there as well.
Thank you Laitch for the advice
And thank you Martin for the kind words.
The photos of the bike with the yellow fairing were photos from when I got the bike.
The one photo of the bike on the jack is how I rode it for 2 months.
  • VT
  • 87 K100rs

Offline racket

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 02:50:50 PM »
Welcome! Any plans to remove the airbox? Just curious
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • 1986 BMW K100

Offline BENSPEN

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 03:00:15 PM »
Welcome! Any plans to remove the airbox? Just curious

Yes! but I am not sure how to do it yet, some have thrown cone filters on the individual throttle bodies, but I cannot do that as It would not allow me to utilize the boost.

Also, for clarification the tools in the 6th photo are not mine, I am much more organized. :bmwsmile

In the end, I would like the bike to look something like this bike, but without the frame mod and a little more modest.
http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2015/10/14/bmw-k1100rs-cooters-cafe.html
  • VT
  • 87 K100rs

Offline racket

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 03:27:14 PM »
Look into mega/micro squirt. Might actually help you a lot since you have a turbo bike. It's by no means plug and play but it's a way to eliminate the mass airflow sensor.

https://www.diyautotune.com/
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • 1986 BMW K100

Offline racket

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 06:16:37 PM »
Did I say mass airflow sensor? I think I meant air flow meter  :2thumbup:
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • 1986 BMW K100

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
  • ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 11:16:29 PM »
Welcome.  Quite a project.  I am glad that you are trying to save a basket case :bmwsmile.  Good luck.  Apparently you have been bitten by the mechanical bug :hehehe.  The design in this bike will not disappoint you.
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline duckytran

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »
Good luck with the project! Very impressive wrenching skills for your age.
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 09:02:59 PM »
Dude, you ain't real! Why so much effort spoofing us? We know who you are! :euro
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 09:09:50 PM »
We know who you are!
He's probably Ben from Vermont, isn't he, Ace? There is an outside possibility he could be Svetlana from Ukraine, though.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline BENSPEN

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 09:28:18 PM »
Jack Geiger, duckytrans, thank you! I appreciate the generous replies, good to know some people are interested in my project!!

Racket, thanks for the advice, very looked into mega/microsquirt and I'm a little confused about how it works (ecu s and electrics are my weakness). Also, saw the 500 price tag and can definetly not afford it! I am not super concerned about eliminating the airflow sensor, but I would like to remove the big black box that goes between it and the throttle bodies, (it's bulky)

And trueace, I'm super confused, not real? Svetlana from Ukraine?

My name is Ben (occasionally Benny), I ride a 2015 yz250 and drive a ford focus. I am a senior (took my senior photo about an hour ago) at Champlain Valley union in hinesburg vt and I am looking to attain a mechanical engineering degree.

I don't know if it was serious or a joke, but if it's a joke, anyone care to explain?

And for the project, I next plan to face my fear and wire a speedometer
  • VT
  • 87 K100rs

Offline TrueAce

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 09:31:41 PM »
Dammit, Laitch, you are just unleashing your Yankee Faulkner (again)! :2thumbup:
  • Florida
  • '85 K100GS, '85 K100RSSC,', '94 K1100RS,'10 S1000rr,'14 Ural Sidecar, '15 R Nine T

Offline BENSPEN

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 09:33:23 PM »
Beyond confused
And if you still believe it is svetlana from Ukraine, here is a photo of my broken Arm and my motocross jersey
  • VT
  • 87 K100rs

Offline racket

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 09:36:41 PM »
Beyond confused
If you're confused now, wait till you do the speedo. Have you looked into getting a BEP 3.0 from Marcus (aka Maru). His box makes wiring an aftermarket speedo a lot easier on the K bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • 1986 BMW K100

Offline BENSPEN

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 09:40:18 PM »
Yeah! I have, if you are talking about the one from Maru labs. Unfortunately, it's not only 170 dollars, but it is big, I am looking to make the speedo (60mm) fit in a hole in the headlights bucket, and I don't think the box thing will work.
What do you think racket? Do you have one?
  • VT
  • 87 K100rs

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 10:02:51 PM »
And if you still believe it is svetlana from Ukraine, here is a photo of my broken Arm and my motocross jersey
I think Svetlana broke a stiletto heel once but I never saw a photo of it. I used to work at Iroquois ages ago, Ben, so I know CVU, and a teacher or two there, also.

I think you should look at this—if you haven't already—concerning the headlight situation.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline racket

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 10:05:33 PM »
Ha, sorry, for some reason it just dawned on me that you're just in high school and might be on a bit of budget! Well, I believe rbm is the leading authority on "aftermarket speedo in a headlight bucket on a K bike" subject matter (amongst many other things). Not entirely certain how he did it or if he used one of Maru's brotboxes. As for the "big black box" between the airflow sensor and the throttle bodies, are you referring to the plenum chamber? If so, you'll want to add another item to your fabrication list. I think maybe the K1100 plenum chamber will fit the throttle bodies and attach to the air box? Maybe? You might find it more aesthetically pleasing, but in case you couldn't tell I'm entirely uncertain if it will fit.
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • 1986 BMW K100

Offline The Dude

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 10:15:31 PM »
Hey Ben, just read you're posts.
I got into bike mechanics at your age because I wore mine out repeatedly.The initial interest took me on to do a degree in mech eng.a serious bit of study that.
The brick motor is inspirational.All the best.
  • Auckland, New Zealand
  • K75s
Current.
TR6R 1973 from new.
Moto guzzi 850 III .1983 from,almost, new.
K75S 1986 from new.vin-0103141
On my second millionth km.give or take a hundred k Kay's.
"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there."
All the best!

Offline BENSPEN

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 10:17:41 PM »
Haha laitch, I learned to swim at iroquois in 2003, cool to know there are some other brickers around, I saw a silver/champagne rt in colchester one time, and another one time. But I forget what it looked like.

Racket, I hate to admit that I have a deficiency in mechanical intellect, but I do not know what a plenum chamber is. If you are referring to the thing the crankcase breather is attached to between the airflow sensor and the throttle bodies (kinda like an egr) my crankcase breather is not attached to it as I think with the boost it would pressurise the crankcase.

Dude, thanks! I started building rc cars when I was younger and moved on to dirt bikes, very excited to tear into the engine. Thanks again for the positive remarks.

-Ben

Thanks again for the advice guys!
-Ben
  • VT
  • 87 K100rs

Offline racket

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2016, 10:25:12 PM »
According to the little micro fiche for the K100, they actually refer to it as an "air accumulator." Anyways, I'm not sure how the turbo bikes are setup so I don't want to lead you astray, but I'm certain someone here can chime in.
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • 1986 BMW K100

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 10:30:48 PM »
Haha latch, I learned to swim at iroquois in 2003,
Actually, I was referring to the truck body factory up the road from CVU. I suppose you could have learned to swim in the old mill pond there. You probably learned at the lake though. :giggles  I just saw the photo of your driveway burnout on the green bike, and the other stuff on that page. You're looking at a great future!
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: