Author Topic: K75S Tank Pad Refurbish Query  (Read 1914 times)

Offline bdogchicago

• Motobrick Curious
K75S Tank Pad Refurbish Query
« on: June 01, 2021, 04:16:53 PM »
I've got a line on a reasonably priced used set but they're a bit rough. Current owner stated they can be painted with a vinyl paint? Anyone have any experience with this or painting the tank knee pads in general? Durability, etc.
  • garage
  • 1992 K75s

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: K75S Tank Pad Refurbish Query
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 05:20:26 PM »
Line-X truck bed liner. Tell them not to do the back side.  Don't use rattle can truck bed liner from the auto parts store. Get them done at a Line-X shop.

Use black 3M double-sided trim tape to stick them to the tank.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline bdogchicago

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 02:56:13 PM »
Reached out to Liner-X. Waiting for estiamte. Why not use the store truck bed liner or other vinyl specific spray paint; e.g.
  • ColorBond LVP Refinisher Spray Paint
    Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Spray
    Rust-Oleum Specialty Vinyl
    VHT Vinyl Dye
    SEM Vinyl Coat
  • garage
  • 1992 K75s

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 04:06:25 PM »
Why not use the store truck bed liner or other vinyl specific spray paint; e.g.

Similar to epoxy that has a resin and hardener, Line-X consists of whatever the Line-x stuff is and a hardener. The Line-X shops use a special spray nozzle that combines the two materials when sprayed and then it cures on the surface of whatever is being coated. Sometimes they use a primer if the material being coated isn't Line-X friendly. As a truck bed liner it is tough stuff that is very tough and essentially doesn't wear. For example, I knocked a system case off of one of my Ks on a truck bumper while filtering at a stoplight in San Francisco. It did not get scratched at all.

I once tried rattle can truck bed liner on a K100RS belly pan. Even though I used the right primer for it it didn't last very long.

I have never tried vinyl paint on knee pads so I cannot comment on how well that works. I can only comment on my satisfaction with Line-X.

I have a lot of Line-X on my K1100RS (mirrors, belly pan, front fender, gas cap, knee pads, tail cowl handles, system cases) and I put a "racing stripe" of it on the bellypan of a K75S where gravel usually beats up those belly pans. I also put in on LT mirrors and the top case lid since those like to get scraped up. It has all performed great.

Did I mention that I'm a big fan of Line-X?

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline bdogchicago

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 03:03:41 PM »
Damn, thanks for the all of the detail. Fingers crossed they come back with a reasonable quote.
  • garage
  • 1992 K75s

Offline enb54

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 02:15:03 AM »
Did I mention that I'm a big fan of Line-X?

I think I'll look into this stuff for my K75, and maybe even the old Land Rover...
  • Red Deer, AB
Eric

Then-1966 Suzuki X6 Hustler, 1987 BMW K100RS, 1997 Suzuki GSF600 Bandit, 1991 BMW K75 RT
Now-1974 Honda CB125S, 2015 Honda Grom (MSX125)

Tags: k75 tank pad