Author Topic: Converting a monolever K75 or K100 to a paralever final drive  (Read 24049 times)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Converting a monolever K75 or K100 to a paralever final drive
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:45:18 AM »

I've built/converted a couple of K75s from monolever to paralever final drives.  Why? Because it pretty much eliminates the "jacking effect" that lifts the monolever rear end under heavy acceleration (as much as you get out of a K75 engine anyhow) and makes it handle better on high speed turns. Although installing a 3" wide 3-spoke rear wheel and running radials probably makes a bigger handling difference I do both and it makes a K75 handle oh so much better.

JMHO, but I wouldn't bother doing this upgrade to a K100.  I think that for the time, money and effort involved you'd be much better off just selling your 2V K100 and buying a K100RS4V or a K1100 because from the factory those bikes have:

1 - 10 more hp
2 - much better front brakes
3 - the ability to run radials on the stock rims

Anyhow, here's what you need to do:

Transmission: The transmission needs to either be from a K100RS4V or a K1100 so that it has mounting tangs for the front of the paralever strut. Alternatively, you could find a later K bike transmission that has the tangs and get them drilled for the paralever strut but I find it easiest just to use a paralever transmission from a 4V K bike.

The only difference in transmission gearing between K75s and K100s/K1100s is in fifth gear.  A K75 has a 1.67 gear ratio for fifth gear while the four cylinder K bikes have a slightly "taller" 1.61 ratio for fifth gear.  The gear ratios for gears 1-4 are the same.  This is about a 3% difference in fifth gear and not very noticeable.

The transmission for any classic K bike will "bolt right up" to any other classic K bike as all of the transmissions use, aside from the paralever strut tangs, the same housing.

Swing Arm:  You'll need a 4V K bike swing arm and the rubber boot that connects it to the paralever final drive.

Paralever strut: Obviously you'll need one of these.  The later ones are better IMO because they are stamped metal and not solid - which makes the bike a wee bit lighter.

Drive shaft: You'll need both the front and rear halves of the 4V drive shaft.  The good side of this is that the splines on these are much less subject to wear under load since they don't move back and forth under load like the monolever ones do.  (Although the U-joints seem to be more prone to failure under heavy loading - probably not as much of an issue on a K75 given the lower hp.)

Peg Plates: Since the paralever swing arm has a "bulge" in it to accommodate the pivot bearings, stock K75/K100 peg plates won't work.  There are several approaches to dealing with this issue.  One is to shim the rear peg plate bolts with washers so that it tilts out a bit and avoids contact with the swing arm "bulge."  The other approach is to use either K100RS4V or K1100 peg plates.  The K1100 peg plates require an additional mounting bracket that resides under the bottom of the lower battery mounting bracket.

K100RS4V  peg plates:

K1100 peg plates:

Shock: The shock on 4V paralever K bikes is about an inch longer so you'll need to replace that too.

Final drive: The "shortest" final drive that you can get is a 32:11(K1100LT) so that's what I recommend to maximize torque. (K1100LTs also came with a 33:12(2.75) gear ratio.) The gear ratio is stamped into the flat metal surface around the breather cap on the top of the final drive.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline rbm

Re: Converting a monolever K75 or K100 to a paralever final drive
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:13:40 PM »
Thanks for this thread.

My understanding is that the K75 transmission casing has the paralever strut tangs moulded into it but are unused,  similar to this photo:

I understood this from following the build thread at http://k75projeckt.wordpress.com/ and, from here, I come to realize that it is possible to install a paralever swingarm and final drive on a standard K75 transmission.  Are these paralever strut tangs available on all model year K75's or just certain model years?

I believe there are gearing implications by taking this decision, as you described above.

Regards, Robert.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:59:35 PM »
Thanks for this thread.

My understanding is that the K75 transmission casing has the paralever strut tangs moulded into it but are unused,  similar to this photo:

Yes, Larry "Special K" did a K75 by drilling them on a K75 he did several years ago.

Some of the early transmissions don't have those tangs.  Not sure year/model-wise.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline chrish8846

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 05:05:41 AM »
My 92 K75 has them.
92 K75S
Numerous former M/C's,Moto Guzzi's,Norton's,Harley's,Ducati's,
Kawasaki Mean Streak

Offline rbm

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 02:17:29 PM »
The transmission for any classic K bike will "bolt right up" to any other classic K bike as all of the transmissions use, aside from the paralever strut tangs, the same housing.
Just wanted to confirm this ... one only needs the transmission from a K1100 and not the bell housing, right?  The bell housing on the K75 (any year) will have the same bolt hole locations and accept the same bolt sizes as what the K1100 transmission offers.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »
The bellhousings are the same part with the same part number.  Only difference between bellhousings is black or silver.
Buy parts here.

Offline rbm

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »
 :2thumbup:
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline rbm

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 06:43:55 PM »
I recently picked up a K1100LT rear end for my future K75 paralever conversion.  The final drive unit is 33/12, making it pretty "tall" (2.75:1).  I see that the 31/11 is the usual final drive equipped on K1100's and is the norm for these types of conversions.  What is the effect on a K75 if fitted with this 2.75:1 final drive?
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 06:57:10 PM »
In general, the K11RS bikes have a 31:11 and the LTs have a 32:11.

I haven't tried a 33/12 but I imagine it will be dog slow off the line and maybe burn through clutch plates a little faster if you do a lot of stop-n-go riding.
Buy parts here.

Rick G

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 07:42:45 PM »
I am using a 2.81 drive from a K100RS in the K75RT. I did it mainly for better fuel consumption and it is good in that regard bit I do have to clutch it a bit more from a start but not so much as to be any concern and I did get used to it very easily. I also found that an extra 4 deg advance made a huge difference.

Offline BrickDad

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 09:01:09 PM »
In general, the K11RS bikes have a 31:11 and the LTs have a 32:11.

I haven't tried a 33/12 but I imagine it will be dog slow off the line and maybe burn through clutch plates a little faster if you do a lot of stop-n-go riding.
...and Euro-only R850 BMW bikes had the paralever final drive in 32:10 ratio, same as the U.S. K75 final drives.  Available from Boonstraparts.com in the Netherlands (guess why I know this ;-).

If using a late-model K75, you can drill out the cast-in torque arm tangs and thus keep the transmission (at less cost) and retain all the OEM transmission gear ratios as well.

Hope this is useful info.
  • Arlington County, Virginia
  • 1995 K75T + Paralever, 1991 K100RS 4-valver + 1990 Flexit sidecar

Offline davellis447

• Curious
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2024, 09:10:05 PM »
I recently upgraded my bike to a paralever swing arm, shock and drive shaft. Problem is the rear wheel sits about a half inch to the right of center. I assume this is caused by not having ABS on my K75s and the doner bike having ABS. Does anyone know exactly how far off center it is and what spacer thickness would be needed to get it on center line? Also, would I need longer wheel bolts to make this work?
  • 400a Gateway Dr., Jefferson City, MO 65109
  • 1990 K75s

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2024, 10:34:13 PM »
BMW doesn't require exact alignment so neither should you. When in doubt, check a manual. You must calculate how far off-center it is. Once you've got that figure, you'll be able to calculate the thickness of shim to get it within spec. Attached is an extract from the K1, K100 4V manual explaining alignment calculation and showing the permitted paralever alignment offset value which is outlined in red. I don't know how much concern folks have for the alignment once the conversion is done. Doesn't seem like much to me.  :laughing4-giggles:

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: