Author Topic: Hello from The Netherlands (EU)  (Read 754 times)

Offline Concours21

• Curious
  • Dutch K1100LT
Hello from The Netherlands (EU)
« on: January 11, 2024, 04:17:52 AM »
Hi guys, I'm Hans from The Netherlands. I live near Amsterdam and I've bought myself last autumn a very nice Mysticred K1100LT from 1998.
The bike is in a rather good condition and I'm restoring the bike as good as I can. I have done extensive maintenance and repaired a number of things. For example, the windshield no longer worked, but after using a lot of lubricating oil everything works like new again. I keep track of all maintenance performed on my website. If you're interested please visit: https://k1100lt.jouwweb.nl
Nice meeting you here in the future and let's the  :mb: keep flying  :laughing1:
  • Zaanstad community near Amsterdam
  • K1100LT

Offline AtLarge

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Not too many bikes. Garage too small.
Re: Hello from The Netherlands (EU)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 07:27:08 AM »
Welcome Hans. Nice looking bike!  112350
  • IA
  • 1994 K1100RS
1973 Honda CL70-K3, 1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C, 1994 BMW K1100RS, 2023 Honda CRF300L Rally ABS
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline DannyEdwards

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 08:28:35 AM »
Hello and a warm welcome to the forum! Your bike looks fantastic, and I wish you many safe and enjoyable miles ahead.
  • Brea, CA
  • BMW K75, S1000rr

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 01:53:10 PM »
I reviewed your K1100 website, Hans. It is concisely informative and well-assembled. Your comparison photos of gearbox lubricant should be seen by every new purchaser of a Brick so they understand the damage they could cause by not renewing the fluids before they head out on the highway looking for adventure. That old lubricant is a foul-looking brew! :laughing4-giggles:

Regarding E10 and your website discussion of it:
I am unwilling to allow fuel companies to dredge the contents of my wallet to pay for their high price of "premium", non-alcohol fuel. I use E10 fuel conditioner in my fuel when I store the Brick for six months during winter. No fuel separation or its resultant corrosion have occurred during the 90,000 miles of my Brick's history.

I admire your approach to the preservation of your Brick and am glad you have posted here about it. icon_cheers
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 02:08:34 PM »
My bikes site with E10 in them for long periods and I have no issues.

(But I also have a dehumidifier in my garage that keeps it below 55% humidity.)
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 07:42:09 PM »
Welcome Hans.
You have posted to the best place for information and assistance on the maintenance and repair of classic K-bikes.

Back in the 1980's I was stationed in Germany with the US Air Force and traveled to the Netherlands and Amsterdam with my family on some very enjoyable travels although not on a motorcycle.

Keep us updated on your nice motorcycle and travels.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline Concours21

• Curious
  • Dutch K1100LT
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 03:07:10 AM »
Thank you for your nice reply. I like to take care of motorcycles. My previous one was a Kawasaki Concours, or as we in Europe say a GTR1000. I also serviced this bike completely. Than I found by coincidence this LT and as you know you can only ride one bike at the time. I sold the Kawasaki. So now I focus on my LT.
  • K1100LT

Offline Concours21

• Curious
  • Dutch K1100LT
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2024, 03:19:07 AM »
Thanks Laitch for your reply and thank you for your compliments. I'll do my best to preserve my LT as much as I can. It's easy working on it and as long as the electronics will keep working, the maintenance is easy. I will keep you all posted with my progress. Today I'll receive an original Clarion BMW radio for this bike. (that one is missing) I want to reinstall the radio. Not for the music (I don't even have cassettetapes anymore) but with a hopefully working radio, the LT will be more original. And that's my goal. To make the brick as original as it left the German BMW plant in Spandau in 1998.

I admire your approach to the preservation of your Brick and am glad you have posted here about it. icon_cheers
[/quote]
  • K1100LT

Offline Concours21

• Curious
  • Dutch K1100LT
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2024, 03:26:58 AM »
My bikes site with E10 in them for long periods and I have no issues. (But I also have a dehumidifier in my garage that keeps it below 55% humidity.)

Premium fuel is mostly important when you ride carburator operated bikes. The K bike has injection (Einspritzung) as the Germans say, so the K's will do fine on E10 fuels. Only ethanol can soften rubber hoses and gaskets. My opinion is that it's allowed that a hobby may cost some money, so to be sure, I use premium fuel for my brick baby... 112350
  • K1100LT

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2024, 07:59:22 AM »
Here's the manual for the radio:
http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/Manuals/BMW%20AM%20FM%20Cassette%20Radio%20Manual.pdf

More radio info:
http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/radiocode/radiocode.htm

Also note that since the radio uses a standard single DIN mount you can swap in other radios pretty easily.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Concours21

• Curious
  • Dutch K1100LT
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2024, 05:36:25 AM »
Thanks frankenduck. Yesterday I found the original radio with securitycode. Next week I'll try to get it working on my brick.
  • K1100LT

Tags: