Author Topic: RS/RT/LT Headlight  (Read 7804 times)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
RS/RT/LT Headlight
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »
The RS, RT and LT K bikes all share the same headlight assembly.

They use an H4(9003) dual filament (high beam/low beam) headlight bulb.

Replacing The Bulb

To replace the bulb:

1- Pull the connector off of the back of the bulb.

2- Pull off the rubber boot (might be a little sticky if it hasn’t been pulled off in a while.)

3- Remove the bulb.  Earlier K bikes have a retainer ring that needs to be turned about 20 degrees counterclockwise to remove the bulb:

Later K bikes have a clip that you push in and pinch.  Then it rotates back and to the left.

4- Be careful not to touch the new headlight bulb.  The oil in your fingers (your fingerprint) will stick to the bulb and when it gets hot can cause the bulb to break.  If you do get fingerprints on the bulb then clean it off with a solvent such as rubbing alcohol.

Replacing The Headlight Glass

The headlight glass is pretty sturdy but if hit hard enough by something big enough it can crack or break.

Although it’s a bit tricky, the headlight glass can be replaced without removing the fairing.

The headlight assembly is mounted to the main fairing body via three M5x12 Phillips machine screws.

The headlight glass is mounted to the “bucket” via six clips. Two each on the top and bottom and one on each side.  The easiest way to remove them is to slip a screwdriver in from the side and lift it to pry the clip off.

To reinstall them once you’ve got the headlight glass in place, first place the front of the clip in the groove in the perimeter of the headlight glass and then push down.

Adjusting The Direction Of The Headlight Beam

Adjust the headlight using the low beam.

Left/Right: On the left side of the back of the headlight “bucket” is an adjusting knob.  Turning it clockwise adjusts the beam to the left.  Turning it counterclockwise adjusts the beam to the right.

Up/Down: There are two adjustments for this.  One is a white nylon lever with three positions that is handy for when your load changes. (Like between solo riding and 2-up fully loaded.)  Flipping it up directs the beam higher and flipping it down directs the beam lower.  Use the knob in the middle for fine tuning the up/down direction of your headlight beam.

Low Beam Pattern

The low beam on the headlights has a distinct beam cutoff pattern at the top.  Approximately like this:

The left and middle beam cutoff is horizontal and the right slopes up to better illuminate highway signs on the right side of the road. (Reverse this for countries that drive on the wrong (left) side of the road.)

I try to keep my low beam aimed so that the right side of the beam hits right below where the mirrors of a semi truck are in order to be courteous and not blind them at night.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Tags: