Author Topic: Guilty ... confessions from the shed  (Read 7665 times)

Offline Motorhobo

• 18 years of K75
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Guilty ... confessions from the shed
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »
Late for a meeting spent 25 minutes frantically looking for my full-face helmet not noticing it was on my head the whole time.

Stripped, prepped and painted the tank, gassed up, put the bike on sidestand, paint job destroyed, repeat from step 1.

Put on new tire, neglected to tighten lugs. Life saved by unnerving wobbling seconds before wheel pops off.

Clutch pack not centered properly, stubborn refusal to acknowledge uncharacteristic vibration. 10k miles later clutch disk fails, transmission input shaft toast.

I'll stop at that so as to avoid another self-esteem crisis.
[/size]

1994/1995 K75 ABS Frankenbike: original engine 130k miles, frame from Gary Weaver (RIP), 173k miles -- Current Odometer: 184k miles
1994 K75 since 2013, 76,000 mi (11k mine) w/California Sidecar Friendship II Sidecar & Black Lab 'Miss B'

Past: 1974 Honda 550/4 (first bike), 1994 K75 (sold), 1995 K75 ABS (parts bike), Sidecar Dog & Best Bud 'Bo' - RIP

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 10:24:06 AM »
+1 on the ruined paint job.  Mine happened the same day i had put the bike together after getting the parts back from the paint shop.

Why the f*** can't one of the most expensive motorcycles on the market have a gas cap that doesn't leak?
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue, '89 K100RS Special edition White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too
'89 K100RS SE

Offline Soichiro

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 11:33:59 AM »
Pulled up at a caff on a really hot day.  Bungied my jacket to the rack and stuffed the gloves under the seat.  A minute after setting off the engine died and didn't want to play. 
After half an hour of checking the usual suspects,  I noticed my gloves were covering the air intake.

After buying my lad a new bed,  which is a few inches wider, I realised I had to move the radiator 6" to the right .  After pulling the floorboards up to alter the pipework I found a Stanley Magnum slotted screwdriver under there.   Hmm, I thought, that's a nice find, I wonder who that belonged to.
Upon further examination,  I found my initials stamped in the handle.  It was hiding there for 22 years.
  • Caerphilly
  • K75S, 1986. 400Four

Offline M.Brane

• Motobrick Curious
  • V4 & Wankel zealot
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »
 Replaced a head gasket on my ZX600A (anybody who's owned one for any length of time knows why). Got it all buttoned up, and fired up. About five minutes into warming it up it seems more rattley than normal. That's when I remember I didn't remember to fill it with oil. Rode that bike another 40K (2 more head gaskets). The next time I took it down to the case, and no evidence of oil starvation. Still running great when i sold it with nearly 70K. Thank you Mobil 1.

Online Past-my-Prime

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2019, 12:37:36 PM »
I'm not ready yet to say what i did with my K75. But all is good: I did just complete a 2,000 km (1,200 mile) circuit of Lake Superior that I should post pictures of.

Anyway, what happened in the shed did not stay in the shed. It was my first motorized conveyance, a go-kart with a lawnmower engine and a centrifugal clutch.  I started by disassembling the clutch to "roughen it up" hopefully to get less slippage on the acceleration. I was also doing other stuff, like cleaning the air filter and changing the oil and spark plug. I was about 11 years old at the time.  Anyway, got distracted and after doing all the other maintenance but before reassembling the clutch, I started it up. I learned what "centrifugal" means!

Multiple clutch pieces flew all around the shed and I never did find them all. I'm lucky none of them hit me. :pirate
  • North Shore of Lake Superior
  • 1989 K75 RT

Offline Chri5

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Buy it - Break it - Rebuild it!
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2019, 10:45:20 PM »
Did a spine lube all went swimmingly put it back together greased my wheel lugs (oops dont do that) rode it for a few days and noticed the rear wheel seemed to be wobbling so desided to retorque after work but before i could some little scumbag stole my brick. Luckly that mistake gave me great satisfaction when the rear wheel came off while the theif was ride my bike and broke his leg as my brick kissed the tarmac. He was subsequently arrested in hospital
  • United Kingdom
  • K100RS
Yamaha FZ6n-s2 electric conversion(Electric motor 240nm of instant torque)
Kawasaki Z750R
85 BMW K100RS
Buy - Break - Rebuild - Repeat!

Offline daveson

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2019, 01:13:46 AM »
Its good when a fail turns into a bonus. How many times has it been stolen?

My dumb thing doesn't involve a bike, but a car. Years ago I bought a ute at the auctions. As I was driving home on the Hume Freeway I saw a switch on the dashboard, thinking what does this do, I pressed it. Then I thought, why has the the rear view mirror gone black. I was driving down the freeway with the tilt tray up. The first thing was to slow down so the wind didn't take me away. The second thing was to look around and realizing there were no other cars within view, I thought, that's good I don't have to be embarrassed, nobody saw that. It wasn't advertised as a tilt tray, and was a dual ram one to boot. Bonus.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'86 K100RT Past; '97 Yamaha V Star 650 Yamaha V Star

Offline beemuker

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2019, 01:13:39 PM »
Its good when a fail turns into a bonus. How many times has it been stolen?

My dumb thing doesn't involve a bike, but a car. Years ago I bought a ute at the auctions. As I was driving home on the Hume Freeway I saw a switch on the dashboard, thinking what does this do, I pressed it. Then I thought, why has the the rear view mirror gone black. I was driving down the freeway with the tilt tray up. The first thing was to slow down so the wind didn't take me away. The second thing was to look around and realizing there were no other cars within view, I thought, that's good I don't have to be embarrassed, nobody saw that. It wasn't advertised as a tilt tray, and was a dual ram one to boot. Bonus.
tilt tray? translation please
  • Panama City, FL
  • 94 K75s , Dakar yellow ABS

Offline bocutter Ed

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2019, 02:13:53 PM »
I would suspect some form of tilt-n-load.
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline Laitch

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2019, 02:38:46 PM »
I would suspect some form of tilt-n-load.
In the States it's known as a platform dump body with shallow rails. Google clear identifies it as a tilting tray for a 100 gallon mobile tea service.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 72,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,296.msg53303.html#msg53303

Offline daveson

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2019, 05:41:55 PM »
Yep,  so the tray tips up,  and the load slides out the back.  A great back saver.

I've heard of lots of different words in the US,  didn't realise that was one of them.
  • Victoria, Australia

Offline E30_Crazy

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2019, 12:24:06 AM »
After a routine oil top-off, forgot to replace the oil fill cap on the K1100RS. Started the bike to idle and warm up, while I ran inside to grab my things and lock up the house. Went to stradle the girl and back out of the garage, and my foot slipped off the foot rest. Look down, and the side of the bike, my tool box, and the floor are covered in oil droplets at about 10-15 drops per inch.
  • Newport News, Virginia
  • '85 K100, '93 K1100RS

Offline daveson

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2019, 03:07:44 AM »
Stupid stuff #2

One day I was removing a vanity cabinet (maybe it's called the sink and it's cabinet in the USA) the one you brush your teeth in front of,  in the morning. I removed the s trap (water trap for the waste pipe) I couldn't put it down without the water spilling out,  so I poured it into the sink.

I better leave it at that.
  • Victoria, Australia

Offline Al

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2019, 11:35:07 PM »
Changed oil on my GF's car way back when.

By the time I had backed it out of the garage the oil light was on. Shut it down past haste and saw a pool of oil on the floor. What the @#$%?!
Turns out that the oil filter gasket ring stuck on the block. Apparently two rubber rings is too much and it puked the oil out between them. Told me the old Pymouth 318 had lots of oil pressure.

It was a rental garage and I had minimal tools and equipment there. I had to walk several miles home to snag some sawdust and a vehicle to go back and clean up. By the time I got back it was an 8 foot diameter pool.
  • Manitoba
  • K75RT
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Tags: