Author Topic: Battery Isolator Switch Installation  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Battery Isolator Switch Installation
« on: September 23, 2016, 03:06:11 AM »
I've had a couple of requests for more details. Before you actually purchase the switch ask if you can take it out and try it under the cover. The switch I used is slightly different to the ones now available.The switch performs a few functions 1/ It allows you to quickly isolate the battery in the case of the starter relay fusing. 2/ It allows you to isolate the battery easily when you wish to work on the bike, and need to isolate the electrics. 3/ It can be used as an anti theft device if you remove the key. So here are the details and measurements. The switch was obtained from Autobarn along with a couple of suitable lugs which you will have to solder in. I could not find any rubber boots to cover the connection so I made them out of Plastercine which I then dipped in Plastidip until I obtained the thickness I wanted I then sliced of one side to go over the nut cut the entrance for the cable and picked out the Plastercine. The switch sits nicely behind the left hand side cover and is easy to access but hard to see. If you paint the switch black it would be virtually invisible. I don't think I actually had to shorten the cable but you may depending on your cable length. I also added a piece of rubber at the back as extra insulation which is held in place with a couple of cable ties. I did have one of the nuts on the back of the switch come loose so I redid them with a dab of low strength Loctite.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline K1300S

Re: Battery Isolator Switch Installation
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 06:05:00 AM »
nice write up.   did you hard mount the switch or is it just hanging on the wires?

those switches are commonly available at most chain autoparts stores around here, along with online sources like summit racing, pegasus racing or Jegs.  Boating stores like West Marine carry waterproof versions.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline Martin

Re: Battery Isolator Switch Installation
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 03:21:21 PM »
For ease and simplicity I just cable tied it to handy existing piece of harness. Without going to a lot of trouble it would be hard to solid mount and I don't think there is any necessity to do so. But I would advise a bit of Loctite on the terminal nuts.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Tags: