Author Topic: K Bike Handlebars  (Read 54773 times)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
K Bike Handlebars
« on: June 04, 2011, 11:25:49 AM »
K bike handlebars come in four basic shapes/styles:

Standard (a.k.a. "C" bars)These are the "middle of the road" handlebars between the leaned forward riding position of the S/RS handlebars and the upright riding position of the RT/LT handlebars. They give the rider a moderately upright riding poistion. These came on the basic Euro K75 and Euro K100 models as well as the Euro USA K75C.
S/RSThese handlebars sweep down and back and have a forward leaning riding position.  These are good if you like to ride turns aggressively as they let you get your weight in over the tank and "kiss your mirrors." There are some minor dimensional differences between the two and four valve models but they are essentially the same shapewise. These handlebars came on the K100RS(2 valve and 4 valve), K75S and K1100RS. The K1100RS handlebars have bar end mounts welded onto the ends of them.
RT/LTThese are the touring handlebars and give the rider a very upright riding position. In terms of their shape and dimensions they are the same for the K100RT, K100LT, K75RT and K1100LT. The K1100LT handlebars have bar end mounts welded onto the ends of them.
K1Like many styling things with the K1, these handlebars are unique to the K1. Shape-wise they are in between the C bars and S/RS bars but with the seat and rear set peg ergonomics they give the rider a leaned forward riding position similar to that of the S/RS handlebars.

The following table shows the approximate dimensions of each type of handlebars in inches. The tip to tip measurements are from the tip of the "usable" part of the handlebars and do not include bar ends or bar end mounts. The setback measurements are from the center of the handlebar mounts in the upper fork tree to the center of the tip.  Given the different shapes and angles of the various styles, comparing the measurements is, to some extent, an apples to oranges comparison, especially for the setback.

All of the handlebars are 22 mm in diameter. (about 0.866 inches)

TypeTip to tipSetback
Standard(C)25"7"
2 Valve S/RS23"3"
K1100RS24.5"2"
RT/LT27"10.5"
K127"7"

Handlebar part numbers:  The number stamped into the handlebars themselves generally is not the same part number found in the BMW parts catalog.  The best way to make sure of what you're buying is by getting pictures.

SWAPPING HANDLEBARS

Before going though the expense and effort of swapping handlebars or adding barbacks consider the following:

Change Your Riding Position:  This can take some effort and practice because chances are you never thought about your riding position, you just hopped on your bike and rode.  Due to this your current riding position may have ingrained some bad habits in your muscle memory. Dick Frantz of the BMWRT forum came up with some principles and techniques known as the Master Yoda Riding Position.  Though originally written up for riding a K1200RS it can be applied to any motorcycle.  I have attached a PDF of it to the bottom of this post.  Even if you're comfortable riding as things sit now (pun intended) it is still worth a read.

Experiment With Different Angles of Your Current Handlebars:  This is fairly easy to but best of all it's free.  You can change the angle of your handlebars by removing the center cover (dash pad) at the middle of the handlebars and loosening the 6mm handlebars clamps.  Experiment with different angles to find what works best for you.  Once you've found the best angle, retighten the handlebars clamps.  You can then adjust the angle of your clutch and throttle perches.

On the back (front really) of the clutch and throttle perches are 4mm Allen bolts that clamp the perch to the bar.  Loosen these to adjust the angle of each perch on the handlebar.  When you retighten them do not use he-man torque as that can break the clamp.

Control Cables and Brake Lines:  When swapping in a different style of handlebar or adding barbacks you may need to also install longer or shorter control cables (throttle, clutch and choke) as well as change the brake line coming from the master cylinder.  (The combination switches are not an issue as those have the same length wiring for all handlebars with any slack being taken up under the gas tank.)

On some swaps between S/RS and standard(C) bars you can avoid changing the brake line from the front master cylinder by loosening the banjo bolt and changing the angle at which the brake line comes out of the bottom of the master cylinder and then retightening the banjo bolt. (18 Nm, 13.3 ft-lb, 160 in-lb)

Swap Handlebars Without Disconnecting Master Cylinder: If you find that you don't need to replace the front master cylinder brake line then you can save yourself some work and a mess of brake line fluid by not removing that brake line. 

1) Unscrew the two 5mm Allen bolts that secure the center cover (dash pad) to the expose handlebars in the upper fork tree.

2) Remove the left combination switch by unscrewing the Philips machine screw near the bottom of it.  Use a good screwdriver as sometimes that screw is sticky and you don't want to strip the head. Then disconnect the choke and clutch cables.

3) Loosen the clutch perch clamp bolt. (see photo above)

4) Pull the clutch perch off of the left side of the handlebars.

5) Loosen the throttle perch clamp bolt.

6) Remove the 4 6mm bolts that hold the tops of the handlebar clamps onto their bases.

7) Pull the handlebars out of the throttle perch.

8.) Installation is the reverse.

Barbacks:  If you're not buying them from a BMW source then before purchasing them make sure they have thread holes in them for mounting your center cover (dash pad.)  Also make sure that they're for 22 mm handlebars. not 7/8".

My personal opinion and what works for me:  If you want to get rid of S/RS handlebars in favor of standard(C) bars then try the Master Yoda stuff or changing the handlebar angle first.  I've tried both C bars and barbacks on an RS bike and went back to the stock setup right away.  The stock bars are the way they are for a reason - to optimize your riding position for handling performance.

While we're on the topic of handlebars, go here for a recommendation on grip rubbers.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
Re: K Bike Handlebars
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 04:14:18 PM »
I'm a rider, not a polisher.

You've been hangin' out too much with the chrome crowd over at Pashnit.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline carp

• Curious
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 12:08:27 AM »
K75C bars seem a bit hard to come by at a reasonable price. Does someone make aftermarket bars close to k75C bars?

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:12:28 AM »
K75C bars seem a bit hard to come by at a reasonable price. Does someone make aftermarket bars close to k75C bars?

I've never heard of any but there must be something out there if you look hard enough. 

FYI:  Stock bars have a 22mm diameter.....
Buy parts here.

Offline imoir

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 05:08:38 PM »
I couldn't get a match at Flanders.

Ended up buying new bars.  Ouch. :'(
Current:
92 K75S "Goose"
88 Honda Hawk GT
72 Norton Commando

Past:
90 Honda Hawk GT
86 FJ 1200
84 KZ 650
82 Maxim 500

Offline happycat254

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:26:10 PM »
I was looking at some barbacks on ebay which said they were for the K100 RT or K100 LT. Any reason they wouldn't work on a K100 RS?

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »
I was looking at some barbacks on ebay which said they were for the K100 RT or K100 LT. Any reason they wouldn't work on a K100 RS?

All of the bars are the same diameter with the same mounts.  HOWEVER, before purchasing make sure that they're tapped to hold the cap head bolts for the dashpad so you can move that back with the handlebars.  (I'm assuming you have a 2 valve K100RS.)
Buy parts here.

Offline happycat254

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 09:29:17 PM »
Thanks. The more I think about it the more i'm thinking about just changing the bars. Are they the same for different years. I just found a pair of 95 K75 bars for 29.00. Any reason they wouldn't work on an 85 K100?

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 10:03:16 PM »
They're all 22mm and pretty much interchangeable.
Buy parts here.

Offline jhurdle

• Curious
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 12:16:33 PM »
Great summary.  I am a new owner of K75 standard with high (RT?) handlebars.  Looking to switch out to C type bars but they are difficult to find at a reasonable price.   22 mm third party options seem limited.  Has anybody tried Rizoma bars on a K75?  Any other options?  Thanks.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »
Great summary.  I am a new owner of K75 standard with high (RT?) handlebars.  Looking to switch out to C type bars but they are difficult to find at a reasonable price.   22 mm third party options seem limited.  Has anybody tried Rizoma bars on a K75?  Any other options?  Thanks.

FWIW I bought a rat bike K100 that had some Renthal 7/8" (22.2mm) handlebars on it.
Buy parts here.

Offline jhurdle

• Curious
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 01:03:10 PM »
Tried some Daytona handlebars from Bikemaster (7/8 inch diameter).   I had trouble getting the switch assemblies on.  The portion of the switch assembly where the pinch bolt is seems to really want a 22 mm bar.   I was afraid to force it and risk breaking something.  Based on your experience with the K100 maybe I gave up too early?

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 01:20:05 PM »
Hard for to say on that.  I just removed the switch assemblies.  Didn't install them.
Buy parts here.

Offline kennybobby

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Last of the True Southern Sweet Mullets and Squids
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 02:01:40 PM »
Hey all you ocd pipe-layers,

7/8" = 22.23 mm, which is only 0.008" diameter (and 0.004" radius) larger than 22.0 mm.

What do you reckon is the tolerance on the tubing sizes?--sure seems like either 7/8 or 22  should work and be interchangeable since there is hardly a little curly RCH of a difference.

You can easily knock off  0.004 of cold hard steel with a file in about 2 minutes.

ocd kenny

p.s.  Thanks Franken for posting those bar and mounted bar pictures.
Ridin' 87 K75S vin 1334,
Renchin' 86 75S vin 0061

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 10:51:32 AM »
Here's a link to a page with 22mm handlebars made for BMWs by Flanders:

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/ImportedMotorcycles/ImportHandlebars/ImportHandlebarsBMW.html
Buy parts here.

Offline Lawrence

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »
The photos at the top of this thread show K1100RS bars with a necked end, which I guess accepts a bar-end weight that has a collar on the bar side of the weight.  The BMW parts fiches I have seen do not show a OEM bar-end weight for the K1100, but there is one for the R1100RT, part # 32712313766.  Does this part also fit the K1100RS bar?  If not, are the K1100RS bar-end weights all aftermarket parts?

My 1985 K100RS has handlebars that are slightly tweeked.  I thought I could live it them, but they are bugging me more and more, so I'm shopping around for an alternative.  I can't foresee me being happy without a handlebar that has some end weights to quell the vibes inherent in the early K-series engines.

Ideas and insights greatly appreciated!  :yes
1985 K100RS

1982 Laverda Mirage 1200TS
1983 BMW R100RS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »
Buy parts here.

Offline Lawrence

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »
The weight in this illustration looks very different.  Do all OEM weights fit with any OEM handlebar that have  necks and internal threads on their ends?
1985 K100RS

1982 Laverda Mirage 1200TS
1983 BMW R100RS

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 03:17:40 PM »
No, even the K1100LT and K11100RS have different bar ends.
Buy parts here.

Offline billday

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 04:38:36 PM »
K11100RS

Never heard of that one. Pictures please!
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Inge K.

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 04:46:11 PM »
K11100RS

It`s ridiculously fast.
  • Norway

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »
K11100RS

The mileage on it really sucks.
Buy parts here.

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 09:28:34 PM »
ok... here you go...

1st attachment... c bars...

2nd attachment... rt + lt bars...

do your doo dillergence on the fische... especially if you want the heated grip part number... butts the sizes remain the same...

more later...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Batkinson

• Dumbass Level 1
  • Motobrick Curious
  • retread rider....KZ650 30 yrs ago,85 BMW K100 now
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 04:22:15 PM »
would someone share the torque requirements for the handlebar clamp bolts on 1985 K100 original mount ? thanks
  • Hampton Roads, VA
  • 85 K100, 92 K75
85 K100, eng#F3M698745K335840559, FRAME: WB1051401F0050557,

92 K75  VIN:WB1057105N0133981

Offline Filmcamera

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 04:37:44 PM »
According to Clymer the general spec for all 8mm bolts are 10 - 13.5 ft lbs

I hope that helps
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS 765