Author Topic: 1989 K75 reanimation  (Read 31419 times)

Offline koshak

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
1989 K75 reanimation
« on: February 19, 2020, 10:32:58 AM »
Hello

One day sitting in Cyprus was scrolling Latvijan online advertisements for the bikes, and saw her:

Just one photo, declared millage 43k km.
Called seller, he told the story that bike was bought in Spain somewhen 15 years ago, moved to Latvija, made local registration and.... locked in garage for these 15 years.

My friend colleague was going to Christmass holidays over there (his hometown), so he had a brief look at the bike and purchased on my behalf, moved to another storage.
Then we found who can make shipment.
So carrier picked up the bike from storage location, moved to workshop to create a box, and then loaded into container.

Since bike was abandoned for 15 years, no tests were done at purchase. The only was known that windshield is broken, one mirror fell off, scratches here and there...

So from Riga it moved to Klaipeda, then through Rotterdam to Antwerpen, where it stuck for about a week while waiting proper taxi.

Finally, vessel with strange name SEAGO ISTANBUL loaded container onboard on 26 of January and departed to destination.

The journey has started.

The imagination painted all sorts of horror pictures of what could happen to a container ship in the Bay of Biscay during the icy winter season ...

... as a motorcycle emerges somewhere on a foreign mainland

... or even disappear in the depths of the sea to the joy of Poseidon

But the brave vessel gloriously overcame the dangers of the Atlantic Ocean, waiting for him on every wave, and prepared to enter the calmer Mediterranean Sea. Just to pass that traffic...

Finally port of destination appeared on the map.

• Cyprus
  • 1989 K75, 1989 K1, 2008 K1200GT

Offline billday

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: 1989 K75 reanimation
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 11:01:36 AM »
What a tale!

That crate was a thing of beauty.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 12:25:34 PM »
That crate was a thing of beauty.

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw it.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 12:43:42 PM »
Terrific story.  How tall are you?  factory low seat. 
  • Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 03:02:34 PM »
 44271 icon_cheers A Homeric account, koshak—a tale certain to be told around burn barrels and in coffee houses from Istanbul to Tucumcari and beyond.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 12:42:14 AM »
He who would go to sea for pleasure would go to Hell for a pastime
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline koshak

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 03:56:09 AM »
Terrific story.  How tall are you?  factory low seat.
185. but irrespective of that fact would like to convert to regular seat, to eliminate that "tank cover".
but not sure how to recognize precisely suitable seat on ebay, and also they are without mountings... Did not investigate deeply yet.
  • Cyprus

Offline koshak

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 04:49:17 AM »
So finally vessel arrived.

That is another story how i tried to get bike out, will skip...
After a week came to customs warehouse for "goods inspection".

Had to open box for customs officer to verify frame and engine numbers and mileage. There were hundreds of screws, had to declare to customs officer that actually it is not a bike import but golden screws.

And here she is, a first look at a new girlfriend, the first timid touch, a gentle wipe of the number on the frame ...

Inspection completed, numbers verified. Was lucky enough to find the truck to take her home immediately. Closing crate back, waiting driver, loading.

Crate safely arrived home and i ran back to work

Opened crate next day evening. And did not find keys. Although keys were discussed with transport company specifically, not to loose them. Next day was spend for searching keys overseas, they were located in Vilnius warehouse. DHL - and now i have them.

But even if keys were delivered, bike was dead for 15 years. Would not try before some checks.
So inspection was started.

• Cyprus

Offline koshak

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 07:26:39 AM »

Need such windshield. Do not see in any catalogue.
Although here were numerous remarks that it is mix and custom, i do not see "custom" traces, and also do not understand the reasons of such customization.
This fairing is quite ugly, i am thinking to remove it, to replace with just radiator cover.

The mesh in front of radiator is absent.

At both sides installed same temperature gauges. But - connected to nowhere, both.

Just visual check is enough to assess battery condition.

Too dusty... Washing is needed.

Some leakages in front.

Fuel tank is almost full of fuel. Suppose 15 years old fuel. Is anybody interested in antique liquid?
So to remove tank closed the hose. Will need to install quick coupling, for easier handling. Did such on my R1200C.
  • Cyprus

Offline Bon Jon Bovi

• All's well that's going ashore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 11:19:34 AM »
If I remember the pic of the bike washed up on a beach occurred off the coast of England during a winter storm around 2012, 2013. Several crates of motorcycles washed overboard and floated ashore, where enterprising Bretoners whisked them away before authorities could round them up.

I would be interested in your low seat and hardware if at some future date you decide to get rid of them. This is a great story, probably all due to the storyteller!
 :k75x:
  • Cloudcroft, New Mex
  • '93 K75s-'05 R1200GS-'08 R1200RT-'88 XR600R-'74 GT80
63 years. Don't they go by in a blink...

Offline Skunky

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 04:18:41 PM »
Looks like a good project bike. What are your'e plans for her. Customization or restoration
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline koshak

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 02:35:51 AM »
Seat - as i wrote, would be interesting in conversion to regular. Not sure yet how to get correct one with accessories.

Customization or restoration - present plans -> restoration with conversion:
- replacement of front fairing
- seat conversion

Would like to have such configuration, with or without windshield:

Will appreciate if somebody can recommend suitable correct parts, preferably from Europe/UK.
  • Cyprus

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 09:52:56 AM »
Seat - as i wrote, would be interesting in conversion to regular. Not sure yet how to get correct one with accessories.
I use Max BMW's parts fiche to search for parts and verify their suitability. It uses an efficient search format. In the UK, the main sources for new and used parts by members here are Motobins and Motorworks. James Sherlock, a salvage company, is also a source for used parts.

What you need for seat conversion is in this diagram from Max.

The Brick in your example photo has an original equipment standard height Comfort seat. These are relatively uncommon over here but get positive reviews from their users who travel long distances. The photo arrow shows a battery cover which accompanies models with standard height seats—one on each side. These usually must be found as used parts.

This photo shows the standard height bench seat. These are the most common standard height seats. Some riders find these seats uncomfortable on rides longer than a few hours. I have one that was remodeled using more resilient and comfortable padding. I like this seat's profile because it allows me to shift position on it easily.

If you complete the conversion, you should consider searching for and installing the combination  toolbox and control unit holder that accompanies the standard height seat on a stock Brick.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline koshak

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 12:01:15 PM »
Thank you, Laitch. That is great summary and good starting point.

James Sherlock through ebay i used for my conversion of k1200GT to k1200R. Got many parts from them but unfortunately their shipping costs are incredible.
Battery covers look same for both seat, that is correct?
And I saw some information, that parts from RT model are not suitable, is my understanding correct?
  • Cyprus

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 12:59:11 PM »
Battery covers look same for both seat, that is correct?
And I saw some information, that parts from RT model are not suitable, is my understanding correct?
Both styles of standard height seats have the same battery covers. I was describing these covers based on your K75 and the K75 in your example photo, not any other model including the K75RT. Your understaning is correct. It's best to verify all understandings, suppositions, theories and hypotheses with hard data and multiple experiential descriptions. In fact, skip all the supposition, etc. and head straight to the parts fiche then to verification of what you find.  :laughing4-giggles:

This is where the Max parts fiche helps. If you look for K75 RT battery covers in the K75RT Frame and Fairing section, you might note that it has a different part number than the cover for a K75. That verifies that part won't work on your model unless there is a note that states it will. BMW line diagrams are not always accurate regarding the parts' shapes; they just indicate part positions and utility. I haven't had trouble just buying the part if its in the section for my Brick's model and is listed for its model year.

It's useful to obtain inside and outside photos of the part before buying it from private sources because claims for its fitment can be inaccurate. You can post the photos here for verification if you are in doubt.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2020, 01:01:57 PM »
185. but irrespective of that fact would like to convert to regular seat, to eliminate that "tank cover".
but not sure how to recognize precisely suitable seat on ebay, and also they are without mountings... Did not investigate deeply yet.

So for us non- metric types 185 is
185 cm = 6'0.83
185 cm is taller than about 87.5% of men and 100% of women in the USA. ... One inch is 2.54 centimeters so Inches = centimeters / 2.54. Some countries use feet and inches to measure height and others use centimeters or meters.

PS - how cool you shared the tracking of the container ship with us. 

I was amazed how shiney clean I was able to make my fuel tank with simple cleaning methods and materials. 

• 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2020, 01:10:37 PM »
would like to convert to regular seat, to eliminate that "tank cover".

Recently(in the past two weeks) i saw a photo of a K bike with a low seat that didn't have that awful tank cover.  The owner had cut off the battery covers where they met the seat.  The bike looked pretty good in the photos.

Wish I could remember where I saw it.  I don't think it was on any of the K bike forums, maybe it was ebay or Craig's List.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 01:21:09 PM »
At 5'7" I would scratch up the fuel tank plenty without that surround. 

Also, I find myself gripping it with my knee or knees in the corner adding to my sense of connectedness to the moto. 

Indeed, it took me several months to get around to installing my low seat system last summer, but with it installed I found myself craving more time on my cycle. The surround is functional for me.

That said, yes, it changes the lines significantly- more of a  Shadow, Magna, Virago look.   

Offline koshak

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 04:44:21 AM »
stripping continued

such funny relays used

alternator and starter are asking for a polish

traces of leakages in front of engine

thick layer of petrified grease

condition of alternator terminals, do not think there would be any circuit

some empty connector. What is that?

could not take out rail with injectors, so removed them individually

getting ready fro frame lift

why BMW did such dirt collector, which is not accessible at all when assembled?

When released clutch cable, oil started to flow off this hole... understood there is no any seal by design.

Washing time

Rear master cylinder is dead

The first serious issue discovered. Understand that it is time to search for a driveshaft replacement...

Other side is better

Such a strange and confusing construction.
  • Cyprus

Offline billday

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 05:57:24 AM »
Sorry about your splines  . . .
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 07:52:13 AM »
Looks like you need to put a couple cans of Deoxit on the shopping list.  If you can find it, S100 motorcycle cleaner is my favorite way to clean parts as I take them off the bike.  Does an incredible job of removing the accumulated road dirt and grease, and makes all the rest of the restoration work much more pleasant.

Good news on the rear master cylinder is that some of us here have found a very inexpensive replacement.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 12:07:00 PM »
  • traces of leakages in front of . . .—Replace radiator hoses. Remove, clean and test the coolant temperature sensor within the T-connection below the vertical hose.
  • some empty connector. What is that?—To identify a connector it will help to clean off the wires and identify the wire colors connected to it. It might be for the turn indicators and parking light.
  • When released clutch cable, oil started to flow off this hole... understood there is no any seal by design.—Sealing is accomplished the clutch rod seal and by light pressure on the clutch piston by the clutch arm bolt.
  • Other side is better—Was the transmission side of driveshaft held in place by a circlip?
  • Such a strange and confusing construction.—It is understandable with a diagram. Intuitive construction isn't always a commodity built into affordable machinery.
  • Rear master cylinder is dead—It might just be in suspended animation. Clean with a tooth brush, soak the piston end with brake fluid, loosen the piston tenderly. Cheap aftermarket replacements are available and complete instructions for mounting them can be found on this site.
  • why BMW did such dirt collector, which is not accessible at all when assembled?—BMW wasn't focused on sale to housemaids with this model.   :laughing4-giggles:
Looks like you need to put a couple cans of Deoxit on the shopping list.
I buy this stuff at a musical instrument store that has a large stock of electric guitars, electric pianos and control boards. How that relates to availability in Cyprus is unknown by me, unless it's a center for Trance music. There's always the Internet, I guess.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline koshak

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 02:30:20 PM »
did anybody use this set?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K1-K100-K1100-K75-1984-1997-Fuel-Pump-Filter-16121461576-16121460452/382307941512

also in need of fuel level sender. found only one in so so condition on ebay...
  • Cyprus

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2020, 03:25:16 PM »
Those parts have been noticed, but noone has tried them that we know of.  I suspect they are probably quite usable for the price since genuine BMW parts are ridiculously overpriced.  You could be doing us all a service by trying them.

http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,13309.0.html

As far as the fuel sender, as long as the wiring for the pump still works, I would take care of the pump and clean out the tank while watching for a sender.  As always, dont forget to search on K1100 senders. 

I'm not sure what the difference is, but there are two different part numbers for this part.  This is one of the later versions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K1100LT-K-1100-LT-k589-1992-1993-1999-Fuel-level-sensor-10681249/254521704052?hash=item3b42acfe74:g:mFEAAOSwTR9eU4zb
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2020, 03:40:03 PM »
did anybody use this set?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K1-K100-K1100-K75-1984-1997-Fuel-Pump-Filter-16121461576-16121460452/382307941512
That looks like a good package. The price is so low it might make you reluctant to purchase it but members here have been buying cheap equipment like fuel pumps and rear brake master cylinders from aftermarket suppliers like that one with generally good results.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: