Author Topic: Harbor Freight ICON 1/4in hex bit set  (Read 566 times)

Offline PhoenixDave

• Curious
Harbor Freight ICON 1/4in hex bit set
« on: February 04, 2024, 06:55:41 PM »
Tool tip.

A few months ago, I was browsing Harbor Freight for some "disposable tools" to use (they type of tools you would typically beat on or cut to size to get a specific job done ... ones you would never use your good tools for) and happened to see a small set of metric hex bits in 1/4 in size that caught my eye.  I knew I could use a small 1/4in. ratchet set of tight access metric hex bits and saw that this particular set was good from 1.5mm to 8mm, which covers most of the sizes I run into on the K75.  Since I needed a small ratchet set anyway, I thought I would try these out and...after using them for the past few months, I can honestly say that I am pleasantly surprised at how good this set is in build quality and functionality. 

ICON Locking Flex Head Ratchet and Bit Set, 35-Piece, SKU: 58074

First off, its a pretty compact box and could be tossed into the K75 rear storage area without taking any space.

The most important bits I use are the metric hex bits, covering 1.5mm to 8mm and the phillips screwdriver bits and a 1/4" drive socket adapter, which is pretty handy.  The 1/4in ratchet is a pretty decent ratchet with very fine ratcheting.  It has the ability to pivot the head to various angles outside of 90 degrees.  You push a button to lock it into the angle you want, so it doesn't flop around when you use it in various angles outside of normal use.  Its a surprisingly heavy weight ratchet and feels of good quality.  The bits and ratchet are designed such that the bits "snap" into place in the ratchet so they hold themselves in place and wont fall out in use.

The extension is designed so that it snaps into place at full extension, but also can be pushed back down into the ratchet head so that you can vary the length of the extension, so its basically a variable length extension.  The ratchet and extension bit holder is 1/4" sized so it will take your standard hex bits from your tool box.  The nice thing with this extension is that the bit holder it magnetic, so that it holds the bits in place so they dont fall out in use.  The extension is designed to fit into the tail of the ratchet handle to serve as extra leverage, making it easier to use on tight fasteners.

I have found that this ratchet set is of good enough quality that it has now found a home in my primary shop toolbox for 1/4in drive hex bits for tight access areas.  With regard to the K75, I have found very handy for those hard to reach bolts on the K75 alternator.  It came in handy several times pulling various fasteners that had limited access / poor tool angles while doing a transmission input shaft spline grease job. 

If I could find any fault with the set is that I wish it came with shallow 8mm, 10mm 12mm and 13mm sockets. 

I never thought I would find myself recommending Harbor Freight for primary tools, but I find this particular set is one worth having around.  Passing this along as a recommendation for tools for working on a K75.  Quite handy to have around.

PhoenixDave
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • 95 K75s

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Harbor Freight ICON 1/4in hex bit set
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 07:55:22 PM »
Some HF tools are OK. I have a grinder I got there for $13 that's given me more than my money's worth.

However, many moons ago I bought a set of cheapo 1/4" metric socket set that was on sale for next to nothing. When I got it home I discovered that the 10mm socket (the one used the most) was actually a mislabeled 9mm which made the set kind of worthless. :laughing4-giggles:

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 08:30:03 PM »
Years ago I picked up a HF 1/4" socket set, about $17, really surprised how much I like and use it.  One of the nicest things is the holder keeping everything all in one place.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 02:06:38 PM »
While I avoid Harbor Freight for anything with a cutting edge or an electric motor, I have found their mechanic's hand tools to be a good investment.  While the combination wrenches are a little sloppy fitting, the Allen wrenches fit really well and handle a lot of torque without rounding.  The price makes it a lot less painful to hear that splash into 30 feet of water when I am working on a boat.

I carry the 1/4" socket set in the rear cowl of my bike along with a HF combination screwdriver and metric Allen key set.  In the garage I have a 3/8" drive air impact wrench with impact bits and a bunch of other assorted mechanical weapons.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Tags: