Author Topic: So how do you guys “test” the ABS?  (Read 936 times)

Offline KCinSB

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Still learning about Bricks from this site!
So how do you guys “test” the ABS?
« on: August 05, 2022, 12:50:54 PM »
Yes, my Red flashing light goes out, and no abnormal things seem to be present,…. Or I’m just not aware of’em. Got to thinking about my ABS experience years back, and wonder if it’s still working. I tried a fast stop, maybe too cautious though, since no “KaChunk, kachunk… “ as I was expecting. I guess I’ll have to get more serious about the test, but I wonder if that’s the best idea? How do you guys confirm the ABS is working? Anyone care?
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • SOLD
No good turn goes unpunished, but it's fun to keep trying.........
1993 K1100RS, with LT Rack&Case, some old BSAs and Triumphs,... some even run!! Recent Dark Side foray... '65 XLCH tractor.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: So how do you guys “test” the ABS?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 01:42:02 PM »
Grab a big handful of front brake on a wet spot.  If the bike goes down you have ABS problems.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 01:43:50 PM »
I get going at maybe 25 MPH and slam on the rear brake. If the rear wheel locks up then your ABS isn't working. If Chunk-Chunk-Chunk then it is. (I assume that you know how to ride well enough to deal with a locked up rear wheel - keep the bike pointed straight ahead and don't let the rear end swing out to the side before letting off the brake.)

Hint: Don't do this with a car behind you. :laughing4-giggles:

ETA: You don't need to STOMP on the rear brake pedal, just apply it fairly hard and fast. (If you stomp TOO hard on the rear brake it is POSSIBLE that the rear master cylinder piston can get stuck on the set screw.)
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 02:41:42 PM »
I guess I’ll have to get more serious about the test, but I wonder if that’s the best idea? How do you guys confirm the ABS is working?
If the flashing lights shut off, that concludes the fault check. If you don't believe BMW's ABS fault warning system works, how can you have confidence in the rest of it, and if you get it to work once in a panic-braking test, how can you be certain it will function correctly a second time, third time, or when it's really needed? You're entering a confidence-sucking swamp.  Regardless, the best strategy might be to ride like you don't have it. You drop the bike during your test, not only will you be consulting here for fairing repair guidance but also waiting for the ABS to return from Japan after it's repaired or shutting off blinking lights and removing relays in the meantime. :laughing4-giggles:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 03:01:33 PM »
If the flashing lights shut off, that concludes the fault check. If you don't believe BMW's ABS fault warning system works, how can you have confidence in the rest of it, and if you get it to work once in a panic-braking test, how can you be certain it will function correctly a second time, third time, or when it's really needed? You're entering a confidence-sucking swamp.  Regardless, the best strategy might be to ride like you don't have it. You drop the bike during your test, not only will you be consulting here for fairing repair guidance but also waiting for the ABS to return from Japan after it's repaired or shutting off blinking lights and removing relays in the meantime. :laughing4-giggles:

Meh. It's really easy and safe to test it with the rear brake if you want to. When people have come by my place and ask about it I hop on their bikes and demo it for them just so they can see the chunk-chunk-chunk firsthand and know what to expect when the ABS kicks in.

My first ABS experience: When I was test riding a K1100LT I slammed on the rear brakes to see how well the rear brake worked. (Expecting the rear to lock up.) I was SHOCKED when the rear end went chunk-chunk-chunk. At first I thought the rear brakes were really messed up. About 100 yards later it dawned on me that it was the ABS kicking in. :laughing1:
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline K1300S

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 04:35:29 PM »
everyone who has a  bike with ABS should test it regularly.  front and rear.  not for the bikes sake, for yours.  it is important to know how it works, what it feels like and what it does.  every other month or so i go to an empty parking lot (which happens to be a MSF course training lot fully marked with the exercises) and do a bunch of low speed handling exercises and stops with front and rear ABS engagement.

if you haven't done it before and are nervous, try out the ABS on wet or sand covered road.  lower speed and ABS will engage quickly.

just do it.    regularly.  it won't hurt anything and it may save your life sometime.

BTW - this same concept applies to your car.  TRY THE ABS!!!!!!!!!   I am a high performance driving instructor and it is scary how some students react when the ABS engages. 
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 04:57:21 PM »
everyone who has a  bike with ABS should test it regularly.  front and rear.  not for the bikes sake, for yours.  it is important to know how it works, what it feels like and what it does.  every other month or so i go to an empty parking lot (which happens to be a MSF course training lot fully marked with the exercises) and do a bunch of low speed handling exercises and stops with front and rear ABS engagement.

if you haven't done it before and are nervous, try out the ABS on wet or sand covered road.  lower speed and ABS will engage quickly.

just do it.    regularly.  it won't hurt anything and it may save your life sometime.

BTW - this same concept applies to your car.  TRY THE ABS!!!!!!!!!   I am a high performance driving instructor and it is scary how some students react when the ABS engages.

I'm not that hard core about testing the ABS but I do think every rider should at a minimum try it AT LEAST ONCE so that they know what the chunk-chunk-chunk feels like. If the ABS kicks in an "emergency" braking situation or on an unexpected slippery surface then how the ABS acts when it kicks in should not be a "surprise" to the rider.

I do trust the ABS when the light goes out. I've never heard of an ABS system failing when it has initialized OK and the flashing light has gone out.
Buy parts here.

Offline caveman

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 04:56:52 AM »
I rode a long time not knowing if the abs worked on my rig and not being very concerned. Was always under the impression that 1st gen abs was not very good anyway and many folks decide to remove it to knock a few pounds off their bike. Then one rainy day a car pulled out in front of me and I had no "escape route" so I came down hard on the binders to soften the blow. The abs kicked in and I think it saved me from a crash!

To answer your question; I find it safer to test on gravel road (I've ridden on dirt most my life), it does not feel as harsh as testing on a hard surface road.
  • Kennerdell, PA.
  • 87 K100RT, 88 K100LT

Tags: