Author Topic: WTB - Left Side Cover (Battery Cover) for '87 K75  (Read 268 times)

Offline 3dognate

• Motobrick Curious
WTB - Left Side Cover (Battery Cover) for '87 K75
« on: January 23, 2022, 01:46:22 PM »
WTB - Left Side Cover (Battery Cover) for '87 K75

One of the K75s I just picked up is missing the side covers. It's the style with the metal spring clip.

I was able to source a Right side cover. Still after a left side.
  • Illinois
  • 1987 K75c Henna Red / 1987 K75 Black

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: WTB - Side Covers (Battery Covers) for '87 K75
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 03:11:32 PM »
Good luck finding them. 

Those covers have a nasty habit of falling off as you toodle along on a bumpy road.  The cause is the owner's failure to replace the hold down clips at the rear of the fuel tank.  Someday, he's riding along enjoying the scenery when he hits a little bump that causes the tank to lift a little bit(more than 1/16") and unbeknownst to rider, the top of the battery cover flops out and it becomes a piece of roadside litter.

If you are able to find any pre-enjoyed covers, protect your investment by attaching them to the bike with leashes.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue, '89 K100RS Special edition White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too
'89 K100RS SE
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline 3dognate

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 03:23:54 PM »
Good luck finding them. 

Those covers have a nasty habit of falling off as you toodle along on a bumpy road.  The cause is the owner's failure to replace the hold down clips at the rear of the fuel tank.  Someday, he's riding along enjoying the scenery when he hits a little bump that causes the tank to lift a little bit(more than 1/16") and unbeknownst to rider, the top of the battery cover flops out and it becomes a piece of roadside litter.

If you are able to find any pre-enjoyed covers, protect your investment by attaching them to the bike with leashes.

Heck they are available as new repops but the clips are unobtainium from what I can tell. Theres a nice pair in canada on ebay but they are priced high and the shipping.... ouch.
  • Illinois
  • 1987 K75c Henna Red / 1987 K75 Black

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 03:24:40 PM »
Good luck finding them. 

I also bend the springs down a little as well to make sure that the tabs at the top are firmly seated on the tank seam.  As long as they're installed correctly they won't fall off. I've never lost one.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 03:52:05 PM »
Duck, as I mentioned, it's not just the springs, but the fact that the rear of the tank is allowed to float because the hold down clips aren't installed or are installed wrong and aren't holding the tank securely. 

I was fortunate to learn this only a couple hundred yards from my driveway with Cheetos, my yellow K75S.  I guess it's one of the good things about living on a shitty road in New York State.

* DSCN2928.JPG (87.05 kB . 710x576 - viewed 52 times)
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue, '89 K100RS Special edition White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too
'89 K100RS SE

Tags: