Author Topic: interchangeability of instrument clusters???  (Read 282 times)

Offline BrokenK75c

• Curious
interchangeability of instrument clusters???
« on: September 23, 2021, 02:34:35 PM »
Hi guys...
I tried looking in these forums for a couple of days and cant find anything about my issue..

Basically I have an 86 K75C that I restored.. but the instrument cluster has probably broken gears...looks like crap and has the gear lcd burned and the clock lcd is bleeding.  So in other words its better to get a "new" used one.
Mine has the light saying the "choke" is open... dont know if I really need it...
I know a lot of newer k75's and k100 didnt have that light.. again I probably dont need it.
can I use any other years of k75's clusters? or can I use K100's??
I looked everywhere and could not get a confirmation.
Please help and sorry if this a noob question..
ps: I attached a pic of my bike in its current state.. bags will be color matched next.
  • Miami, USA
  • K75c

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: interchangeability of instrument clusters???
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 03:03:27 PM »
The newer K75s and K100s do have the choke light - and all of the wiring to support it.  For whatever reason in 1991 BMW decided to not install the switch that triggers it at the back of the throttle bodies. You can even add that switch to the TBs on later K75s and K100s by just installing that switch. I've done it to several Ks.

http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/choke/choke.htm

K75s and K100s clusters are the same with the exception of the K100RS4V cluster that has a different Tach. (And ABS K75s/K100s have an extra wire and light for the ABS indicator next to the low fuel indicator.)

Early clusters had square pins and later clusters have round pins on the connector. Not sure when that change was made.  85 and earlier clusters have a different fuel level sender so you don't want one of those.

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline BrokenK75c

• Curious
Re: interchangeability of instrument clusters???
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 05:08:30 PM »

Early clusters had square pins and later clusters have round pins on the connector. Not sure when that change was made.  85 and earlier clusters have a different fuel level sender so you don't want one of those.

So its a 86 considered an early cluster? and or would it still work with a later cluster in case I have square pins?
I am taking it apart tomorrow to take pics just in case. I am dying to know how fast I am going.  :laughing1:
  • Miami, USA
  • K75c

Tags: