Author Topic: Craigslist scams  (Read 2949 times)

Offline beemuker

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Craigslist scams
« on: July 08, 2021, 11:24:58 AM »
Received this email from a possible craigslist buyer

Hi, Thank you for your response to my inquiry. . I've been working really long at work, so I won't be able to meet with you physically due to my busy work schedule .  But i want you to assure me the condition is perfectly Okay, Also I'm ok with the price as shown on the advert. I'll proceed with issuing a check to you and when you receive the payment and it clears, I will make arrangements for pickup. So get back to me with the details below asap.

Name:
Address:
City: State: Zip:
Your cell Phone Number:
Last Asking Price:

As soon as the information is provided, payment will be overnight to you and it will be delivered by Wednesday. I will let you know once it's mailed out with the tracking number sent to you. I will also add an additional $50 for holding it for me till the Check gets to you. Kindly delete the posting and consider it has been sold to me. 

wow, an extra $50. what a deal. :laughing4-giggles:

• Panama City, FL
  • '00 R1100RT,’92 K75 RT,past tense:'83 R80ST, '93 K1100LT,,94 R1100RS K75s, Honda NC700, Suzuki Bandit 1200, bmw R75/5 Honda 750

Offline mw074

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Craigslist scams
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 11:43:00 AM »
Cash is King.
  • Michigan

Offline beemuker

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 12:06:46 PM »
Cash is King.
real gold, bitcoin, and ammo may be better.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • Panama City, FL
  • '00 R1100RT,’92 K75 RT,past tense:'83 R80ST, '93 K1100LT,,94 R1100RS K75s, Honda NC700, Suzuki Bandit 1200, bmw R75/5 Honda 750

Offline enb54

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 12:31:36 PM »
An e-transfer is a lot more reliable and less of a hassle, I've sold many items online and find that e-transfers have never failed. There are so many online scams though that you have to shake your head sometimes...
  • Red Deer, AB
Eric

Then-1966 Suzuki X6 Hustler, 1987 BMW K100RS, 1997 Suzuki GSF600 Bandit, 1991 BMW K75 RT
Now-1974 Honda CB125S, 2015 Honda Grom (MSX125)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 01:36:32 PM »
Depending on the banks involved, a check drawn on insufficient funds can take more than a week to bounce.  That's plenty of time for the "buyer" to disappear with your bike.

Demand a cashier's check or a postal money order.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 02:07:50 PM »
E transfers aren't always a safe bet.  Paypal can deposit money in your account, have a card rejected on the other end and then withdraw the money back out of your account.  Forget the specifics but beware of any sight unseen transaction.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 05:00:29 PM »
E transfers aren't always a safe bet.  Paypal can deposit money in your account, have a card rejected on the other end and then withdraw the money back out of your account.  Forget the specifics but beware of any sight unseen transaction.

Not only that but if there is a dispute then Paypal generally sides with the buyer and gives the money back.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline rbm

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 05:55:04 PM »
Not only that but if there is a dispute then Paypal generally sides with the buyer and gives the money back.
Not in all cases. I bought something from a guy in Peru and paid with Paypal. The sale was through a reputable web site featuring member-to-member sales.  The guy never shipped the item and I appealed to Paypal.  Paypal refused to refund me based on the Paypal product I used (Family & Friends I believe it was).  Eventually, the seller returned my money after pressuring by the web site admins.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline enb54

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 07:15:19 PM »
I should have been more specific, meant an e-transfer through the bank, in my case the Bank of Montreal. I do have a PayPal account, but never sell anything over it, only use it to make purchases, so yes, in that case you could be swindled by the seller. The latest scam cellphone text I got follows, like I'm supposed to believe a real Colonel in the US Army would do this, my initial text response was "wrong number"...

Col Maria Schneider <mseider209@gmail.com>

Fri, 18 Jun, 02:55

to me
Thank you for responding to my text. Accept my apology for encroaching on your privacy in this manner, I would like to say thank you for taking your time to read my mail. Despite the wide abuse of our electronic mailing system(e-mail) in today's world. I got your contact from a comprehensive internet web search directory here in Afghanistan. I am here to offer you my partnership in business. You do not know me but I mean no harm sending you this proposition.

Before I introduce myself you may wonder why I would delegate a business proposal to a total stranger, but this is the best I can do in my present situation not because there is no one left in my life but there is absolutely no one close enough to entrust the nature of this business with as my only daughter serves as a clergy( minister nun )to my Anglican rooted home convent church town in North Carolina and I am an orphan and widows. My family moved to Florida where I studied at the University of West Florida in 1989 for a bachelor of arts (ba), international relations, and affairs. In 2003 I enrolled at Webster University for a master of arts (ma), procurement/acquisition management. In August 2007 I was made contracting commander  Iraq/Afghanistan. In 2014 I made brigade commander which at present is the commander-expeditionary contracting command- Afghanistan. I would have trusted this kind of project in the hands of my daughter who is supposedly my closest confidant but the nature and future of her service to God will not let me propose this to her but rather I would do for her what every mother who loves the future of her child would do hence my decision to work with a neutral person if we can establish some trust between ourselves so that this secret can be preserved.

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Col Maria Schneider I am currently finishing my service as commander,419th contracting support brigade-expeditionary contracting Command-Afghanistan resolute support mission Kabul Afghanistan. I am seeking your assistance to evacuate the sum of $10,900,000.00 (ten million, nine hundred thousand united states dollars) as far as I can be assured that it will be safe in your care until I complete my service here in Afghanistan.

Source of money: I and some other high-ranking officers made some deals on the oil business in Iraq before my exit to Kabul, Afghanistan. The deal worth $132 million united states dollars and after we've all shared the money I later realize $10.9 million us dollars which is my personal share of the deal, due to my status as a united states colonel, I am not able to move this huge funds to my account in united states to avoid further interrogation or face any kind of probation by the united states government and I packaged my own share in a digital lock suitcase and have sent it to the red-cross society because there is no other way out to keep it with me here, so with the help of a german contact working with the united nations here (his office enjoys some immunity) I was able to get the package out to a safe location entirely out of trouble spot. He does not know the real contents of the package, as I have deposited the consignment as a family valuable. Your acceptance of this would encourage me to send further information for us to proceed. If you wish to proceed with this, please get back to me by responding.

Do have a nice day and God Bless U

Regards,
Yours truly,
Col Maria Schneider
  • Red Deer, AB
Eric

Then-1966 Suzuki X6 Hustler, 1987 BMW K100RS, 1997 Suzuki GSF600 Bandit, 1991 BMW K75 RT
Agree Agree x 1 View List

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 07:51:49 PM »
I wonder if your Air Force Colonel is related to a Nigerian General.

You know you can have a lot of fun with these guys.  There was a website I used to visit about 20 years ago where people had these scammers making audition movies of themselves jumping off buildings, setting themselves on fire and crashing their cars so they could get movie parts as stunt men.  Those films were hilarious.  My favorite was the guy who set his house on fire while he was in it and then jumped out of a second story window onto the roof of his brothers car breaking his leg and caving in the car's roof.  The fight with his brother that ensued while the camera kept running was incredible.

Others had their "contacts" driving all over Africa and sending photos of their cars in front of famous African landmarks as they waited for a "business meeting" that never happened.   This was a major form of entertainment for a number of twisted people, mostly in the U.K. who shared the stories with others on websites dedicated to screwing with Nigerian princes and generals.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline beemuker

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 08:32:00 PM »
While scammers can sometimes be entertaining, It's such a waste of time even responding to them.
  • Panama City, FL

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 08:40:53 PM »
You know you can have a lot of fun with these guys.  There was a website I used to visit about 20 years ago where people had these scammers making audition movies of themselves jumping off buildings,. . .
I do believe this is your site, Gryph. The videos aren't currently available. A lot of good reading and photos abound.  112350

While scammers can sometimes be entertaining, It's such a waste of time even responding to them.
Not if the result provides high quality entertainment for the rest of us.  icon_cheers
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline rbm

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 09:00:57 PM »
Not if the result provides high quality entertainment for the rest of us.  icon_cheers

• Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 09:11:50 PM »
Not in all cases. I bought something from a guy in Peru and paid with Paypal. The sale was through a reputable web site featuring member-to-member sales.  The guy never shipped the item and I appealed to Paypal.  Paypal refused to refund me based on the Paypal product I used (Family & Friends I believe it was).  Eventually, the seller returned my money after pressuring by the web site admins.

That's on you. Paypal makes it very clear that there's no buyer protection with Friends and Family. F&F is not meant to be used for purchasing products - it's meant for transferring funds between FRIENDS AND FAMILY, hence the name.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 10:44:04 PM »
Laitch, that's the site.  I wasted many a cold winter night reading up on the exploits of the Nigerian princes and generals. 
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline enb54

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2021, 11:25:39 PM »
I wonder if your Air Force Colonel is related to a Nigerian General.
Unfortunately, Colonel Maria Schneider is a real person (her real picture was shown as the gmail sender), and this is just another example of crap that telecommunications companies can stop if they want to, but the big bucks roar louder, "shareholder value" is the credo these days...
  • Red Deer, AB
Eric

Offline enb54

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2021, 12:38:25 AM »
Laitch...

I can hardly believe what I'm reading at https://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm but from my own experience and helping others (widowed people on Griefnet) I am a believer. These human dogs should be hunted down as rabid animals and destroyed/eliminated using all technology available, but as usual the government has no real desire to track and follow the "money trail" which is what is required. I'm disappointed, just my $0.25 worth...
  • Red Deer, AB
Eric

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2021, 01:12:50 AM »
Buy parts here.

Offline enb54

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2021, 02:00:09 AM »
If that stash fell out of an armoured car in front of me, I'd be inclined to move to Maui...
  • Red Deer, AB
Eric

Offline bocutter Ed

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2021, 09:23:25 AM »
I actually received one of those Nigerian letters at my print shop, pre internet. It's nothing new.
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline John Lang

• John Lang
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 11:51:08 AM »
It might seem surprising that scammers still say they are a Nigerian (prince, banker, official) given that it is sich an obvious scam tipoff. It's a useful filter that screens out all but the dumbest.
  • Ottawa, ON Canada
  • 1987 K75C

Tags: