Author Topic: Am I becoming a Brick addict? Or should I just accessorize?  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Racer468

• Motobrick Curious
Am I becoming a Brick addict? Or should I just accessorize?
« on: March 10, 2021, 03:28:27 PM »
Hi, My new 87 K75C has only 14k miles and has set the hook but now I am considering a second 87 K100RS with 68k that has been well maintained by a long distance tourer. I am comfortable with the 75c's power and will not be two up riding. Is the difference in fairings going to make that much difference when I start touring? I got tragkorbs for the 75c and the 100rs has them as well.

I have exhibited addictive behavior in the past and currently have way too many bikes. Bricks could be considered my methadone for what was over fifty vintage bikes as I bought the Brick to ease the pain of selling several bikes. HELP

Thanks and I apologize if this is in the wrong area but I was hoping for technical and emotional help in my eyes.

Roger MM106 Blue Ridge Parkway

• Blue Ridge, Virginia MM106 Blue Ridge Parkway
  • 87 K75C, 85 K100RS

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Am I becoming a Brick addict? Or should I just accessorize?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 03:58:46 PM »
In their OEM configurations, those two motos differ in riding position as well as wind deflection. The RS has a little more deflection than your C, and has a more forward-leaning riding position. For some riders, that riding position can reduce comfort on a long tour.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Racer468

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 04:12:41 PM »
Thanks for the input. The k75c is very comfortable. I think an upgrade in helmet will quieten things down.

I have never had a bike that I get this excited about riding and the miles just tick off.

I believe I'll just add a USB charger port, get some good gear, and head out!

Thanks again

Roger from Va mm106 BRPW
  • 87 K75C, 85 K100RS

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 05:11:56 PM »
OEM bench seats like the one on your C are notoriously uncomfortable for some riders when going long distances. Try riding on one for a couple of hundred uninterrupted miles. Replacement of the padding in the bench seat with something like this—which is what I have in one of my moto's seats—will pay dividends in comfort during a long haul. Otherwise, Russell Day Longs are highly regarded and there are other options. Many seating quality posts can be found in a search here.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline caveman

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 09:33:34 PM »
For what it's worth IMO, Unless you plan on 700+ mile days a russell day long is over kill as compared to a stock BMW comfort saddle (I have and use both) and the smooth 75 is hard to beat (I have 100s and 1100 to compare with). A c-3 schuberth hat is part of my kit that is light, quiet, comfortable, and convenient (I like modular design). At some point I would like to have a 75c but so far one has not crossed my path but the s that I have set up with bar backs, c bars, and comfort seat has taken me coast to coast a few times in all types of weather with nothing but joy.
  • Kennerdell, PA.
  • 87 K100RT, 88 K100LT

Offline daveson

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 01:29:55 AM »
" ...I think an upgrade in helmet will quieten things down... "

A taller windscreen helps a lot too, not sure how suitable it would be for a C fairing though.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 08:21:26 AM »
I'm with the Caveman regarding seats.  I have had two Russells and three BMW Comfort seats.  The Comfort seat is very good for trips averaging 500 miles per day for weeks on end, and the Russell is the treat when you need to do some serious mileage in a short time like trying to cross the U.S. in three or four days.

The downside to the Russell is that they are taller than the comfort seat, and even for someone like myself at 6'1", combined with a passenger and/or a touring load, they can make the bike pretty clumsy at low speed or when having to make sudden stops.  The only way I can make my Russell seat work is to lower the bike about a half inch, and even then, I've still dropped my bike a couple times. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Racer468

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 07:40:51 PM »
Great information on the seats and fairings. At 5'8" I'm out of the wind enough that I think I should pick up the helmet or hat mentioned, and log some miles. The seat has not posed a problem so far but I'm used to staying on the pegs. I think it was the CZ motocross team that practiced with no seats.

Thanks again and I'll report back after some more miles.

Roger

MM106 BRPW
  • 87 K75C, 85 K100RS

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 08:23:55 PM »
Wow!  I'd pay to see you ride 500 miles in one day without sitting down.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Racer468

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 10:42:58 PM »
Update: I'm close to buying the 87 K100RS despite pleas for sanity. I got the tragkorbs on and I'm playing with an old tank bag I found that seems incomplete but gives me an idea of the cockpit feel.

Off to search for a thread with the best plug and play DC outlet.

Thanks for the help!
  • 87 K75C, 85 K100RS

Tags: