Author Topic: K75RT leaky tank fix + generic maintenance  (Read 4438 times)

Offline samih

• ^ Motobrick Curious
K75RT leaky tank fix + generic maintenance
« on: February 01, 2021, 10:03:58 AM »
So my newly purchased '92 K75RT turned out to have a leaky fuel tank which I discovered when assessing slight bubbling at the bottom of the tank. As promised in the introduction section going to document the fix here.

This how the tank looked like at the start of the repair.

Mostly harmless:

Not really pretty with a bit of previous tampering present:

Yes, the previous tampering was a bit more serious than expected:

What's going on here? There were localized splattering of what looked like polyurethane foam underneath the paint, both here and also in some places underneath the tank. The reaction of PU with the top coat had turned some areas of the tank into a bad imitation of a balloon. The alumin(i)um underneath was perfect with just a bit of red PU foam remaining. The paint coat here was very thick so most likely the tank was respayed at some stage.

There was also an old patch visible with no signs of attempting to paint over it.

Inside the tank looks largely solid with just tiny pinholes in present on couple of places.

These are the two main culprits:

I'm planning to use HTS-2000 to patch the tank with continuous flow of air through the tank to mitigate the chance of a thermal event. Filling it with water is another possiblity although I'm afraid it might mess with the adhesion. I'm currently waiting for these brazing rods to arrive from UK. As there are multiple potential locations for future leaks I'll also seal inside the tank with epoxy.

The final image shows the bottom of the tank after light sanding and debubbling it. I had to peel off the partially fuel saturated insulation as those darn bubbles were present pretty much all throughout the bottom of the tank. For the repair metal to work the surface needs to be totally fresh alu so plenty of work needed here just before the brazing attempt.

But yes, I'm getting ahead of myself here as usual. The first job will be to practice with the HTS-2000 at the bottom of the tank when those rods appear by post. After that it will be plenty of grinding and sanding to get the tank ready for the paint. I'll need to call to the paint shop next week to order a spray of suitable base coat compatible with bare alu tank and also some high build primer. Then in stage n it will be time for the final colour "675" and a matching clear coat. The inside epoxy coating will probably be added right after HTS before the painting process starts.

The tank was a bit faded anyway and has a scratch on the right hand side so might as well just spray it all.

Apart from this tank saga everything else seems pretty good. The front brake light switch was broken and under the seat, ABS is flashing constantly if not for other reason than this missing switch. The driveline splines were in perfect condition and well greased sometime in the past. All three spark plugs were under torqued which I guess is better than over torqued. Brake fluid looked murky and coolant good. I also took out the thermostat which I'll test later on.

• Co. Kildare, Ireland
  • 1992 K75 RT, 2012 R1200 GS Rallye (previously Honda XRV750, Suzuki DL1000, DL650, DL1000A)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: K75RT leaky tank fix
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 10:17:45 AM »
Thanks for the useful photographs. Members here will certainly be interested in the outcome of using HTS-2000. Good luck with this task.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline samih

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 11:06:50 AM »
Thanks Laitch, will definitely keep this thread up to date. In general I'm super impressed about the quality of everything on this old girl. The only difficult fastener so far has been the speed sensor screw on the final drive and even that came out with plenty of penetrating oil and patience. Looks like my bike was hardly ever used in "winter" which helps a lot.
  • Co. Kildare, Ireland
  • 1992 K75 RT, 2012 R1200 GS Rallye (previously Honda XRV750, Suzuki DL1000, DL650, DL1000A)

Offline samih

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 05:54:33 AM »
Still no sign of the HTS-2000 delivery but I have been "productive" and have largely reassembled the bike apart from the side fairings and the tank of course. I have been running this contraption for the past week or so to get rid of all of the remaining fuel vapours.

It pushes in the fresh air and exhausts it via the fuel sender aperture where I inserted a length of flexible tubing snaking into towards the front of the fuel tank. This is to ensure that all the volume of the tank is ventilated. The exhausted air doesn't have any smell of fuel now after a week which fills me with confidence that the tank won't explode on me later on.

I also disassembled cleaned and resealed the gear position switch. As reported here the rubber covering of it had started to fail and had lead to water ingress with sign of slight corrosion within. Apart from dropping 2/3 of the pins and springs on a dusty concrete floor and used 45 minutes searching before I found the last spring, I sealed the switch using Loctite anaerobic instant gasket gel (which is really meant for metal surfaces but that's all I had) and copious amount of self vulcanizing repair tape and it was at least initially working when tested. To make the life easier for the said switch I installed a rear mudguard extension that may or may not do anything but in theory will help the water making it all around the guard to safely exit below the swinging arm/gearbox as opposed to just behind them.

The rear edge got the the same treatment as there were unwanted splashes on the lense of the rear light after my initial journey on the bike. It can be muddy here in Ireland.

The other jobs apart from splines and fluid changes: I reseted the ABS fault code for low voltage (# 5)  and as I now have a new front brake like switch fitted (was not fitted at all) hopefully the system will be operational now. At least the brake light tests now result in the appropriate sequence of the ABS/bulb fault indicators and also the ABS test socket middle pin now reads constant voltage indicating no faults present.

Is 10.8 VDC expected btw on this pin with a battery voltage of 12.8 Volts or do a have a bad connection somewhere? I suspect all is good as the ABS now seems to work without the low voltage indication. Haven't of course had a chance to road test it yet to see if the wheel sensors are gapped correctly but all the systems at least pass the POST.

Now just need to patiently wait for the HTS to arrive...
  • Co. Kildare, Ireland

Offline samih

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: K75RT leaky tank fix + generic maintenance
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 10:09:22 AM »
Still no sign of those brazing rods but I contacted the vendor and they were definitely posted. There seem to be a post Brexit related slowdown with the post between UK and Ireland.

As this is moving more on the way of generic maintenace: Checked the valve clearances last night. The #2 and #3 inlets are a little bit tight but decided to leave them be for now and will check again on the next service. The spec in millimetres is 0.15-0.20 mm for the inlets and these both were a very loose 0.10. The others very right at the mimimum at 0.15 (in.) and 0.20 (ex.). In general all is looking great under the valve cover and had I not known better I would have guessed that the lobes were machined about 6 months ago:

I think in general it was just a question of blowing away the cobwebs from this fine motorcycle:

As mentioned the splines were looking great:

• Co. Kildare, Ireland

Offline samih

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 04:26:14 AM »
Bought the basecoat, paint, 2k clearcoat and the epoxy coating for inside the tank so all ready for the brazing rods to arrive (any day now).

While waiting I fitted Oxford Touring heat grips. As the voltage on the standard heated grips connector underneath the tank was somewhat fluctuating I decided to just use it to drive a new relay which I fused with 10 Amp fuse directly from the battery. There was an empty space for the relay inside the relay box. That small fuse holder is part of the loom from Oxford which I re-appropriated as the control circuit for the relay. I guess no harm having that fused also since the holder was built-in. If you look closely you might see that I have packed all the plugs and sockets with my favourite preventive maintenance ingredient, red rubber grease. I have done that on all of my bikes since the alternator circuit of my Honda Africa Twin had a meltdown due to corrosion. And incidentally most of the connectors on the RT has also shown definite signs of water ingress and corrosion so definitely a good thing to do in damp climates like Ireland.

The grips were a perfect fit and a suitable place for the controller was:

Need to fit bar ends of some sort:

I also used the new relay to drive a power socket on the dash, and that dash panel also needed a repair as it was cracked. I fiberglassed the backside and used epoxy glue to fill in the visible crack:

I fitted the socket on location which clears the location for the extra gauges in case I decide to install those. I actually have already inquired motorworks.co.uk for the price of full set of gauges/looms/oil pressure sender and will probably fit them as both fuel and coolant temp gauges are quite essential, imo.

What are these two rubber parts? They must belong somewhere on the bike but I have no idea where they came from.

• Co. Kildare, Ireland

Offline John Lang

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • John Lang
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 07:51:51 AM »
Those are the rubber mounts that fit into the front end of the under-seat tool box. BMW #51 16 1 459 064
  • Ottawa, ON Canada
  • 1987 K75C

Offline samih

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 08:22:34 AM »
Thanks John, that helps and I can relax with the knowledge that they are not from bowels of rear suspension or something  icon_cheers
  • Co. Kildare, Ireland

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 10:01:43 AM »
Need to fit bar ends of some sort:. . .
A K75 should run so smoothly that bar end weights would be unnecessary. Plug the ends with long multi-colored streamers and be the envy of your neighborhood.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline samih

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 09:15:37 AM »
Still no sign of HTS-2000 but the seller has agreed to post me more. In the meantime I received some other alternative flux filled brazing rods which I just tried and not successfully. My existing propane blow lamp type of device is not hot enough to heat the tank sufficiently hot for the repair to be possible. The results was just blobs of metal that do not stick on the tank.

Ordered a MAPP torch and gas from a local supplier. More to follow when the stuff arrives. Oh yes and also ahead of myself and ordered the fuel and temperature gauges, cabling and temp sensor.
  • Co. Kildare, Ireland

Offline samih

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 05:45:03 AM »
Ok, the long awaited HTS-2000 brazing rods as well as the MAPP torch arrived yesterday. Smashing!

This was the starting point after I had opened up previous weak points near the bottom seam of the tank but before actually properly sanding it:

The after image looks much better already. Thanks to the fan I had had running to drive away the petrol/fuel/gas residue there were no dramas about explosions or fire.

They key here I found was to use as much heat as possible and have the area being worked as clean as possible newly filed to remove the corrosion and other crud. I also found out that that if I allowed the molten HTS-2000 to flow and settle on the area being worked at the repair worked out much better. Here is the main damaged area without any post processing. If you look carefully there is another patched hole bit further back the seam which I somewhat ground down to see how it looks. I don't think I'll bother doing it here as the material is real hard compared to the rest of the tank and who cares if the finish is not totally factory as long as as it's strong. This won't be a show bike or anything!

The repaired area looks really solid looking from inside. I was hoping not to have to strip the paint out fully but it seems I'll need to do that as I found many layers of paint and the finish got quite badly scorched at places during the repair. So paint stripper treatment next, then look for other possible weak points (looking at you dark spots towards left on the photo) before it's time to basecoat outside and cleanup + epoxy inside the tank, and finally prepare it for the actual paint and clearcoat. Perhaps this weekend coming...

• Co. Kildare, Ireland

Offline samih

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 02:45:56 AM »
Progress has been made over the past two weeks.

As mentioned before the tank had many layers of old paint. I began the slow process of stripping them down one layer at the time:

More and more layers were revealed:

and more over the next couple of days including two separate silver/alu grey layers. Today's paint stripping products are not very efficient so I had to use moderate force using a metal stripping blade to peel off the paint until finally we reached something resembling an electro coating on the bare tank that would not shift with the paint stripper apart from a few gouges I managed to inflict on the finish.

Once the paint was off I thought that it would be a great next step to coat the inside of the tank with 2 component resin called PetSeal, an Ethanol proof coating:

I left the tank propped upright for the remaining coating to settle somewhere out of the way from the fuelpump well:

After several days of letting the PetSeal to cure it was time to fill in the most notable gouges from the paint removal process (used 5 years out of date Plastic Padding) and then I give the tank its first new coats of paint. First a few coats of etching primer. It too cold to spray really but the work just had to be done at this stage.

Then several more coats of high build primer with sanding and filling in between the coats at not amazing but not totally hopeless level of finish.

An uniform silver coat as I did discover those silver layers in the original paint:

and then the final paint code 675 red coats. I had to surround the painting area with some protection as the red spray was not exactly a mist but more like a wild stream of paint going everywhere:

The final result straight after the final spray and obviously without any polishing at this stage after perhaps 10 layers of 2K top coat:

The jury is still out on the paint match and also the finish shows some drips also as I went a bit too wet with the top coat on one of the layers but it feels great that the pain of peeling of the paint etc. etc. is now behind me.

Here is the detailed shot of the main corroded section which I didn't really want to hide too well. It's good reminder in the future of how much work went into this tank:

The odd colour and matte looking finish is the dull reflection from the cardboard surrounding the work area. The finish really is quite surprisingly good even without any post processing. I'll eventually machine polish the paint once I have left the coats to fully cure over the next several weeks. But this paint finish won't most likely win 2021 Irish Motorcycling Association Paint Finish of the Year award even after that.

It will do.

Oh yeah, fitted the fuel and temp gauges also and was able to hide the oil pressure sensor cable run behind the oil/water pump and the hall sensor cover. In the end I resorted in cutting out the OEM terminal and fished random wire though the obstacles and made the connection under said cover. It only took a couple of hours of fishing to feed the wire through.

• Co. Kildare, Ireland

Offline samih

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 08:38:16 AM »
Got the bike back together last night. I gave the tank a bit of wet sanding with 1000 grit followed by a short machine polish but it will still need some more polishing to get rid of the remaining orange peel effect. The paint finish almost blends in although many other paint surfaces are of much lighter shade.

Went out for a short spin via filling station. Everything works perfectly now including the gear position sensor and the ABS warning also extinguished right after setting off. After a long dry spell we had some torrential rain and the bike does not look as pristine anymore:

Now just need to patiently wait for the 5 kilometer lockdown to finish in Ireland.
  • Co. Kildare, Ireland

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 10:51:48 AM »
Got the bike back together last night.  Everything works perfectly now including the gear position sensor and the ABS warning also
icon_cheers  You've done good work at documenting your repair here, samih.  112350
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline samih

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: K75RT leaky tank fix + generic maintenance + upgrades
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2021, 08:53:54 AM »
After a successful summer with the bike including a trip to Scotland some work has now been planned for the K75: I am going to install electric windscreen soon. Also, as the original rear shock started to leak sligthly, time to put some Wilbers suspension under the bike. I bought the screen base with motor from a K1100LT and an original switch for the same. Just need to figure out next how to connect it all. The motor has five pins some of which are probably permanent feed from the ignition and the others somehow connect with the switch. The motor potentially has a built-in relay as this is more pins than expected.

Edit: The extra pins integrated in the motor are the microswitches for the top/bottom stop. I found a great explanation of it all here and our comprehensive wiring diagrams section also has the proper diagram. Just mentally replace "Windshield lift switch" with "Windshield lift relay" and it all makes sense. The second relay is correctly labeled as "Windshild lower relay".

The rear suspension unit has a lead time of about 2 weeks Wilbers sales told me but it has all been ordered now. Went for Wilbers 630 road with remote preload adjuster and the progressive front springs from the same manufacturer. It was some sort of moment of madness to spend this much on the old girl but she's worth it I think: The K75 has been almost faultless all this summer and I really like her. The fuel tank has stayed leak free but the paint is not great to be honest, and one air bubble (no leak though) appeared under the paint soon after painting the tank. The tank did have several of big bubbles under the paint already before the repair situated far from the fixed area, and therefore it appears that some sort of chemical reaction that resulted in the bubble has happened again. I currently consider getting the tank and some other bits professionally resprayed over the winter...

Isn't there some saying about little finger and hand? It has happened to me. But I reckon the K75 is a fab machine and mine has good bones.
  • Co. Kildare, Ireland

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2021, 09:14:39 AM »
Isn't there some saying about little finger and hand?
"When clearing clogs from an operating meat grinder, use your little finger before using your hand."
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline samih

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2021, 10:05:03 AM »
"When clearing clogs from an operating meat grinder, use your little finger before using your hand."

That's it! I knew that somebody would be able to help me with that saying.
  • Co. Kildare, Ireland

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2021, 11:28:42 AM »
That's it!
It's all part of the service here, samih.  4265249878
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline samih

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2022, 12:45:28 PM »
So, it took awhile but the bike has been back on the road for some weeks.

Front flexible brake hose had started to deteriorate but the hose for K75 ABS 1992 was unobtanium. I eventually figured out that a local brake/clutch supplier in my home town was able to find a almost perfect length hose with the correct threads 3/8-24 but the length is a bit longer than needed:

The unexpected job #2 was that I found another few small leaks underneath the tank. Patched those with fuel tank repair putty as the tank didn't actually feel weakened. I went for coverage over neat as it was underneath the tank:

Then another month of messing around happened with obtaining the correct paint. Since earlier 2021 the paint shop I used had changed their paint information system and the BMW 675 paint code cannot be mixed anymore. Well actually the bottow copper coat was available but the top red wasn't. I eventually managed to get the paint mixed using their old system and liberally sprinkled the copper colour on top of the red to try to match the slightly faded orange paint of the fairings.

I didn't wet sand the finish yet so it's pretty orange peely. I'll fix it properly once I'm happy that no more leaks exist.

The paint colour match looks great this time on the left hand side of the bike at least (and that orange peel is bad and needs wet sanding pronto!)

I fitted an aux fuse box to feed power for the relays for headlights, aux lights, heated grips and the windscreen:

Aux lights and the upgraded LED headlamp bulb in action. The daylight part around the lights is used just for low beams and with high beams the middle LEDs are also on.

I wired the windscreen using two relays without using the top/bottom microswitches and fitting was physically possible without any problems. I cut the bottom of the original windscreen off and the result look almost OEM.

The Wilbers suspension has totally transformed the handling. The bike feels really planted yet comfortable over the bumps. The original fork springs were also progressive, I found, but much shorter than the Wilbers supplied ones which fitted without the spacer (seen on the bottom left) and the wire is much much thicker in gauge:

The new rear strut looks and feels great.

It was great to get the bike back together and now I just need to put it in good use in 2022 to enjoy the newly discovered great handling bike it has become.
  • Co. Kildare, Ireland

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2022, 03:04:50 PM »
Looks really good!  Nice job on the windscreen.  That is a really nice color.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline samih

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2022, 05:08:41 AM »
Thanks The Mighty. I'm really happy with the bike now. Just need to get out more.

In the past year I have added about 3k miles on the clock, which is 3 times the distance covered on average over the past 29 years pre my ownership but pretty poor for me.  I blame COVID. I put close to 60k on my original V-Strom 1000 in 7 years of ownership so need to try harder here. Perhaps a nice SS1000 attempt is needed later in 2022? Stories that got me hooked on long distance riding were by a guy on a K100 (RS perhaps), and now as I finally have a bike that is comfortable and also quiet thanks to the new windscreen I'm tempted.
  • Co. Kildare, Ireland

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2022, 07:51:54 AM »
I'm pretty sure you will find your K75RT perfect for putting huge amounts of road behind you.  Excellent protection from the weather, really good ergonomics, and a reliable engine that runs like a sewing machine get the job done.  600-700 mile days are a piece of cake.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Tags: