Author Topic: Restoration: 1995 K1100RS for under a grand?  (Read 29503 times)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Restoration: 1995 K1100RS for under a grand?
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2020, 07:09:16 PM »
you DO NOT want to screw up the bushing.  they are NLA.  it is not even listed in the parts fiche.
Contradicting mlytle is not to be taken on lightly but I believe the pilot bushing is listed as part #2 in the 11-Engine/Output Shaft diagram in MAX BMW's parts fiche.

A blind hole bearing puller could be used to extract it then it could be reinstalled to an acceptable distance, or a replacement bushing could be found—OEM 11211461539, maybe—or fabricated then installed. This video gives you the gist of extraction starting at 0:12. The narrator is speaking in my native tongue.

The alternative is to clean up the bushing's opening with emery cloth then adopt the belief that its position looks as good as mlytle's and everything is ok.  icon_cheers

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline billday

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2020, 09:11:00 PM »
Don't wrap it in tin foil or your wife will cook it.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2020, 10:46:06 PM »
Marshal I appreciate your calling this to my attention.  I’ve been adding to my tab with rookie mistakes...I could grumble about yours looking just like mine, but I’d much prefer reassembling once if at all possible. More importantly now I know what this bushing IS!

I ordered the bushing $18 from Max.
  • Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2020, 04:09:12 AM »
...I could grumble about yours looking just like mine . . .
Grumble? I'd be celebrating.  :laughing4-giggles:

Regardless, while you're waiting for what might be the correct part, you could follow this wrencher's obsession.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2020, 07:14:31 AM »
Very informative- the clutch rod rides in this bushing and the negative effect of pressing it in several extra mms is?  Maybe the clutch could bind by falling out?
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II

Offline K1300S

« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2020, 08:03:44 AM »
the clutch rod never reaches the bushing center.  hits the side and stops. no clutch.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2020, 08:09:59 AM »
the clutch rod rides in this bushing and the negative effect of pressing it in several extra mms is?  Maybe the clutch could bind by falling out?
The clutch falling out of what? The clutch? Falling? Where? It seems all seems so perilous.  :laughing4-giggles:

the clutch rod never reaches the bushing center.  hits the side and stops. no clutch.
To inhibit that circumstance is likely why the bushing's opening is chamfered.

Be advised as previously, rc, the video was submitted for understanding removal of the bushing. Clearly, the whole business is unsettling for you so replacement is probably the best course. I haven't observed the action of the clutch rod within the bushing because my I lost the x-ray glasses I bought from an advertisement in a GI Joe comic book before I was graduated from elementary school.

The bushing probably stabilizes the clutch rod and prevents its vibration which would ultimately cause distress—if not to parts, then to the serenity of some riders.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline K1300S

« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2020, 08:10:40 AM »
Contradicting mlytle is not to be taken on lightly but I believe the pilot bushing is listed as part #2 in the 11-Engine/Output Shaft diagram in MAX BMW's parts fiche.

A blind hole bearing puller could be used to extract it then it could be reinstalled to an acceptable distance, or a replacement bushing could be found—OEM 11211461539, maybe—or fabricated then installed. This video gives you the gist of extraction starting at 0:12. The narrator is speaking in my native tongue.

The alternative is to clean up the bushing's opening with emery cloth then adopt the belief that its position looks as good as mlytle's and everything is ok.  icon_cheers

awesome! damn if neither I nor two dealers could read the fiche well enough to find that part.

with a new one in hand, getting the old one out becomes less problematic.  destroy at will.  the issue is the hole in the center is TINY.  pilot bearing pullers like the one in the video just don't work as they are too big to fit.  i actually have a BMW pilot bearing puller.  too big.  the old "put a big screw in it and slide hammer it out" trick probably will work.

Offline K1300S

« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2020, 08:17:55 AM »
The clutch falling out of what? The clutch? Falling? Where? It seems all seems so perilous.  :laughing4-giggles:
To inhibit that circumstance is likely why the bushing's opening is chamfered.

Be advised as previously, rc, the video was submitted for understanding removal of the bushing. Clearly, the whole business is unsettling for you so replacement is probably the best course. I haven't observed the action of the clutch rod within the bushing because my I lost the x-ray glasses I bought from an advertisement in a GI Joe comic book before I was graduated from elementary school.

The bushing probably stabilizes the clutch rod and prevents its vibration which would ultimately cause distress—if not to parts, then to the serenity of some riders.  :laughing4-giggles:

ahh, but look at the two pics.  mine is not camfered.  i think RC's puller induced the bevel in his pic. the bushing is soft brass. when clutch is released, the rod should still be inside the bushing.  as clutch lever is pulled, the rod slides further into the bushing keeping the clutch disk centered in the clutch.  cars use a bearing, not a bushing, in this location.

Offline K1300S

« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2020, 08:22:24 AM »
Grumble? I'd be celebrating.  :laughing4-giggles:

Regardless, while you're waiting for what might be the correct part, you could follow this wrencher's obsession.

i bow to your knowledge and searching ability.  i spent hours searching for info on this silly bushing and didn't find that link!

but in my defense...i noticed that thread was done AFTER i was searching....:-)

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2020, 09:35:52 AM »
You can't go wrong with this panoply of input, rc—crazy, maybe; but not wrong. Please video removal and installation for posting here.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2020, 12:43:50 PM »
You can't go wrong with this panoply of input, rc—crazy, maybe; but not wrong. Please video removal and installation for posting here.

So in all likelihood- tapered or not my stealthy GI Joe rod would most likely sit happy in my bushing as it is.  Either way I now have a thorough understanding of what’s next

+ 1 to Marshall on the bushing may be NLA comment- looks like it will need to come from Germany: 
From my inbox today: 

Good morning Clayton,

Thank you for your MAX BMW parts order.  Your order is in process with the bushing coming from Germany.  Please allow up to 2 weeks for your order to complete and ship out to you.

Russell Chave

Internet Parts

MAX BMW Motorcycles

Thanks over and over gentlemen and Laitch for your time, effort,and attention.  Forecast says two days 50 degrees plus in the Chee- so much touring is planned for the coming weekend.

russell@maxbmw.com

Offline Bon Jon Bovi

• All's well that's going ashore
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2020, 10:45:54 AM »
Forecast says two days 50 degrees plus in the Chee- so much touring is planned for the coming weekend.
:laitch
  • Cloudcroft, New Mex
  • '93 K75s-'05 R1200GS-'08 R1200RT-'88 XR600R-'74 GT80
63 years. Don't they go by in a blink...

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2020, 11:06:03 AM »
I’d be vexed too if I had 14 inches of snow in my driveway.  This is Wisconsin sunny and 61 Sunday in March historically was followed by a blizzard!

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2020, 10:52:49 PM »
Picked up another cherry project today-96 YFR750 in need of a stator.  18k miles This on may readily be road worthy for a grand.   Not a K bike - moderator this is all I’ll post about this topic.  Two whacky cheap scores Within a year.  Fun!

Offline SHNAPS GUY

• Motobrick Curious
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2020, 09:17:41 AM »
So last weekend several gagged and coughed up their coffee when I posted my Craigslist find, a $500 Brick.

The world seems a more lovely place knowing a Motronic equipped, 4 puck Brembo, liter + brick can be had and potentially road/track worthy for under a grand.. Anyway that’s my goal.

Did I mention the near complete tool kit, pristine (French bread basket luggage...) tragkorbs..tragborgs,whatever, and Michelin Pilot radials with plenty o Tread?  “Score!”. 

I’m scratch building a hack BTW, see the sidecar forum, maybe once sorted this will end  up married to my creation.  I’m hard pressed to consider carving up my K75S fairing for a hack.  Some own sculpture, I appreciate these sculpted fairings, and the RS is no slouch, great profile!

So the battery was toast as per normal.  Online Amazon Westco source was only $80 but I spotted a sealed unit at Walmart $95.  Unearthing the battery is a project: it’s buried under the Motronic fuel injection controller, connectors require time, coffee and patience.  At nearly 25 years of age, I found a couple harnesses with worn out, UV degraded sheathing.  One fits tightly behind the battery base so I removed it all and added a layer of Tygon fuel line then wrapped with electricians tape.  The Motronic ground connector was very loose a few crimps and that was tight.  Shiney battery connector terminals and voila... fire it up already...

So I bought it sight unseen from a phone call.  5 minutes later the PayPal funds were gone...I  would have missed out otherwise.  So the first twist of the key was ....key.  It fired right off.  Engine sounds sweet, tranny snick snick snicks...nicely.

I DON'T FREAKING BELIEVE IT. I saw this bike on CL immediately after I bought my K75 for $800 from my neighbor and immediately had buyer's remorse. I called my neighbor, who's something of a Beemer guru, and told him he needed it. He called to make an offer the next morning, and you'd already snatched it up, apparently.

Great score, sir. Hopefully I'll see you in the alphabets somewhere southwest of Madison soon!
  • Badgerville, USA
  • 1992 K75 RT (naked, LED front end)

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2020, 02:32:53 PM »
I DON'T FREAKING BELIEVE IT. I saw this bike on CL immediately after I bought my K75 for $800 from my neighbor and immediately had buyer's remorse. I called my neighbor, who's something of a Beemer guru, and told him he needed it. He called to make an offer the next morning, and you'd already snatched it up, apparently.

Great score, sir. Hopefully I'll see you in the alphabets somewhere southwest of Madison soon!

Shnaps Guy, you make me giggle, thanks.  I didn't believe it either.  My bride is still rolling her eyes as I'm supposed to get clearance. 

How it happened:  I was off for that day and sitting in the oral surgeon's waiting room in Middleton, awaiting a root canal appointment.   Like me, you probably scroll through Craigslist postings as a distraction and in this instance, it was the throbbing pain in my jaw. 

I called the dude who admitted to having 8 inquiries queued for callbacks but not takers.. I consider myself a fair judge of character, probably from decades in sales and despite my choice of mentors here in the asylum...ok I jest... You can smell when you have a straight shooter on the line.  He didn't mix metaphors, it was running, maintained, ridden that day, but puking oil in the telltale location and correct 80k mileage for a main shaft seal replacement. 

Knowing my name would be called any minute I asked: "do you have a Paypal account?" - in less than 5 minutes I pulled the trigger sight unseen and without even running it when I picked it up.  If you look at my video after I installed a fresh battery, I was pretty tickled at how well it fired up.  A fun day in deed. 

I take pokes and prods here about my goal to have it roadworthy for a grand.  All told, more like $1500. In truth that's entirely possible but not practicable when my full intent is to thrash the thing.  Perfect brakes adds to about $500 with all-new stainless lines etc. etc. 

The BIG story, all here can appreciate is the silly high-value propositions available with used Bricks.  Mind you, No one here will get rich flipping K Bikes but what you get for your money is very impressive. 

The majority of Brick patrons cared for their bike and stored it indoors.  My latest find is an even more sick example: 96 VRF750F Interceptor with 16k miles for ...yes $500.  And that project will roll for under a grand.... bmp

Granted it's not an air-cooled 911 but for the cost of some Porsche bits I've purchased over the years...a $1200 spark plug harness, $2000 second gear synchrode...the bang for the buck is pretty satisfying.  Thanks for writing.  I live just West of Dodgeville under the windmills at Montfort.  Where are you?  Come visit.  Come ride!

Offline SHNAPS GUY

• Motobrick Curious
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2020, 07:11:53 PM »
The BIG story, all here can appreciate is the silly high-value propositions available with used Bricks.  Mind you, No one here will get rich flipping K Bikes but what you get for your money is very impressive. 

The majority of Brick patrons cared for their bike and stored it indoors.  My latest find is an even more sick example: 96 VRF750F Interceptor with 16k miles for ...yes $500.  And that project will roll for under a grand.... bmp

Granted it's not an air-cooled 911 but for the cost of some Porsche bits I've purchased over the years...a $1200 spark plug harness, $2000 second gear synchrode...the bang for the buck is pretty satisfying.  Thanks for writing.  I live just West of Dodgeville under the windmills at Montfort.  Where are you?  Come visit.  Come ride!

Agreed, the value prop on these bikes is incredible, as long as you don't plan on making $$. But if all you want to do is ride, they're damn near perfect in my estimation. That VFR you grabbed is a sick bike as well. Love the V4 Hondas.....

I live on the south side of Madison; Park and Beltline-ish. My neighbor and I often ride out that way, we'll have to set something up! You seem a good sort, what with references to air-cooled 911's and constant CL trolling for deals..... 112350
  • Badgerville, USA
  • 1992 K75 RT (naked, LED front end)

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2020, 07:28:51 PM »
I get your way often too, so let's connect.  Love the YUE WAH Asian grocery right there, also my son works at Exact Science off Rim Rock.  Ping me if you lack obscure K75 bits.  Cheers!

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2020, 07:54:08 PM »
So my latest parts order arrived today, Clutch pilot bushing, submersible fuel line and a set o Traxxion Dynamics "anti dust n dirt omatic strut protecteroids..." a Johnny suggestion.

For those and Laitch lacking Xray vision a few of the clutch rod and pilot bearing showing the taper before beating the living @$%p[oi out of the brass with my puller.....

Then there's this bargain Harbor Freight slide hammer kit that happens to have a pilot bearing puller small enough to grab this tiny beasty "I'll show that fancy panty Lytle who knows what for....only ... the puller, adapter and pilot puller have differing threads like all well thought out Chinese ......things.  All the parts are in the picture...Yeah yeah I know thread in a screw, destroy the b#@$% and get on with it before July RC!!! But its the principal I say %$@#$%@ @#$%@#$%

Expletives requisite.....

So my clutch housing has some pretty deep pitting?  Does that matter?  That rides on the friction plate right?  Maybe I'll get that too...$$ @@#$%42.

I need a beer.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2020, 09:10:34 AM »
"I'll show that fancy panty . . . So my clutch housing has some pretty deep pitting?  Does that matter? 
Point of order!
Where I came from that adjective would be fancy-pantsy but it was an admittedly machismo culture. Yours is more inclusive.

Your pitted part in the photo is what BMW terms the clutch housing cover. The clutch housing is the splined part that engages with the engine output shaft. Some non-Germglish speakers might be tempted to call the clutch housing a flywheel. In your opening post of this epic, you indicated the shifts felt fantastic. You could clean the cover's surface with fine emery cloth on glass, leave it alone or spend more money.

You indicate there's a hole in your budget already, so nothing need stop you now.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Martin

« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2020, 05:15:00 PM »
The pitted pressure plate could be taken to an automotive machine shop for them to evaluate to see if it's possible to surface it.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2020, 12:13:09 AM »
Looking for advice on my pictured Marzocchi rear shock. It looks a bit rough but performed correctly on my test rides.  I dialed the valve up and down- Nitrogen pressure adjustment correct?  I didn't find any similar examples online, how old? 

Is this unit worthy of restoration and service?

Seems the company is out of business perhaps? 

Any recommendations on a servicer?  It would be nice to know the overall condition and at minimum repaint the spring.  Does spray paint hold up to spring compression, flexing?   

Two weeks under the weather with influenza.  Barely enough motivation to lift the remote control.  Today I felt I was getting my strength back.   

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2020, 09:29:25 AM »
Take it easy and get well soon. 

Looks like Marzocchi is focusing on bicycles, but is still out there.  They were top of the line back in the day and would be worth restoring.

If it was my shock and it seems to work I would take it to a motorcycle shop that caters to the motocross crowd.  Someone there(probably one of the older guys) will recognize your shock.  They can remove the spring so you can have it stripped and powder coated. 

Ask them about a new spring.  Racers are always changing springs and if it's a good shop, they'll have a source for a new one, maybe for less than powder coating the old one.

They may also be able to do a rebuild, but if the damping works, I would be inclined to let sleeping dogs snooze.  Clean it up, paint it, and have the moto shop charge the nitrogen and reinstall the spring.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Tags: