Author Topic: New K75S owner in San Diego, CA  (Read 3025 times)

Offline tntmo

• Curious
New K75S owner in San Diego, CA
« on: February 22, 2022, 11:14:18 AM »
A friend of a friend had a 92 K75S up for sale, I have never owned a BMW but was intrigued by it.  Took a look at it, couldn't stop thinking about getting it running so I picked it up. 

* bmw.jpg (74.43 kB . 768x576 - viewed 405 times)

I've had too many motorcycles and scooters to consider counting, all of them have something different and of course this machine is no exception.  It had been sitting for a few years and the fuel pump and assorted goodies in the tank were a mess.  I replaced it all with the Quantum kit and the bike runs pretty good.  The front brakes needed to be bled out, now everything works as it should including the ABS system. 

Still a lot to do, I plan to do a full service including the clutch splines and then put this bike to the test with some camping trips hopefully.  Might see some of you out there!
  • San Diego, CA  USA  Earth
  • 92 K75S

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: New K75S owner in San Diego, CA
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 11:30:55 AM »
Welcome!  If it runs anything like my K75RT I think you will be very pleased with your new bike.

Everything you will need to know about bringing your bike back to like new is here.  If you can't find what you're looking for, just ask.  Lots of us have experience with almost anything you'll come up against.

Once you get all the neglect taken care of the K is an amazingly reliable machine that likes to be used...a lot.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline foliver

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 07:42:25 PM »
welcome tntmo, it looks great.
I've just started and overhauled my 75C 86 after 6 years of non use, and as Mighty said, he and lot of other people helped me a lot, not only to resolve some wrenching, but they helped me to have the confidence to lunch into other parts of the project which seemed more difficult, but were not.
  • Montevideo, Uruguay
  • Bmw K75C 86

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 10:08:56 PM »
Congrats. Looks like a nice specimen.

It looks like it has K75RT handlebars. It'll ride better in the turns if you go back to S bars - so you can get your upper body more forward.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline tntmo

• Curious
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 10:41:10 AM »
Congrats. Looks like a nice specimen.

It looks like it has K75RT handlebars. It'll ride better in the turns if you go back to S bars - so you can get your upper body more forward.

Interesting, nothing much looks modified on this bike.  I will have to take a look at the different handlebar setups and see if these are not the originals. 
  • 92 K75S

Offline tntmo

• Curious
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 10:43:07 AM »
Welcome!  If it runs anything like my K75RT I think you will be very pleased with your new bike.

Everything you will need to know about bringing your bike back to like new is here.  If you can't find what you're looking for, just ask.  Lots of us have experience with almost anything you'll come up against.

Once you get all the neglect taken care of the K is an amazingly reliable machine that likes to be used...a lot.

I believe this bike has been maintained well through it's life, but it had just sat for the last few years.  Once I take care of a few other projects around here I am going to get it freshened up and put some real miles on it. 
  • 92 K75S

Offline tntmo

• Curious
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 10:45:25 AM »
welcome tntmo, it looks great.
I've just started and overhauled my 75C 86 after 6 years of non use, and as Mighty said, he and lot of other people helped me a lot, not only to resolve some wrenching, but they helped me to have the confidence to lunch into other parts of the project which seemed more difficult, but were not.

About six years of non use is probably what this bike has as well.  I'm pretty pleased that all the systems appear to work so far.  I need to get it out and put some time on it to see if the seals hold up, so far it's oil tight but I've only ran it a half hour at a time or so.  It's great to have a forum with a wealth of knowledge to draw from.
  • 92 K75S

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 12:57:04 PM »
Interesting, nothing much looks modified on this bike.  I will have to take a look at the different handlebar setups and see if these are not the originals.

The stock S bars are lower, farther forward and point down.  With stock S bars you can't use hand guards because the stock S bars bring the throttle and clutch perches very close to the windscreen at full lock. Click on the image below to enlarge it.

Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
Buy parts here.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 01:21:27 PM »
Buy parts here.

Offline tntmo

• Curious
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2022, 01:23:09 PM »
The stock S bars are lower, farther forward and point down.  With stock S bars you can't use hand guards because the stock S bars bring the throttle and clutch perches very close to the windscreen at full lock.

Thanks.  The prior owner was an older guy, so he likely wanted to get out of the crouch position a bit.  It's funny, my son is now on a sport bike/touring setup (Honda BlackBird) and he wants something more upright...he really likes this BMW from the pictures I have sent.  He acts more like an old man than I do!
  • 92 K75S

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2022, 01:32:43 PM »
The S bars are still pretty upright compared to a sport bike.  Just a little forward lean.
Buy parts here.

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 01:44:59 PM »
This is a picture from the 1991 K75S sales brochure.  (Could they have possibly found uglier riding gear? :laughing4-giggles:)

Buy parts here.

Offline BEE

• Curious
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2022, 12:39:25 PM »
Hey, another San Diegan here and I too just picked up a K75.
  • Out in back
  • 1992 BMW K75

Offline tntmo

• Curious
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2022, 03:25:33 PM »
Hey, another San Diegan here and I too just picked up a K75.

Cool, looks like yours is a 92 as well?  Would be interesting to get them together.
  • 92 K75S

Offline BEE

• Curious
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2022, 04:00:59 PM »
Cool, looks like yours is a 92 as well?  Would be interesting to get them together.

Yep, 92 standard model in red. That would the tricky part since I don't know how to ride yet lol. Perhaps eventually when I get more comfortable with it.
  • Out in back
  • 1992 BMW K75

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2022, 05:50:04 PM »
I don't know how to ride yet.

A K75 isn't a great beginner bike but it is certainly possible to learn on one if you take it easy

Are you planning on doing this?
https://www.chp.ca.gov/programs-services/programs/california-motorcyclist-safety/california-motorcyclist-training

Here's a free book that's worth reading:
http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/fullcontrol/Full_Control.pdf

Here's a whole forum for beginner bikers:
https://www.beginnerbikers.org/
Buy parts here.

Offline tntmo

• Curious
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2022, 08:17:21 PM »
Yep, 92 standard model in red. That would the tricky part since I don't know how to ride yet lol. Perhaps eventually when I get more comfortable with it.

Well I have a Honda Trail 90 that could be a good way to learn to ride.  No clutch, low to the ground and not much power.  Let me know!
  • 92 K75S

Offline BEE

• Curious
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2022, 10:39:33 AM »
A K75 isn't a great beginner bike but it is certainly possible to learn on one if you take it easy

Are you planning on doing this?
https://www.chp.ca.gov/programs-services/programs/california-motorcyclist-safety/california-motorcyclist-training

Here's a free book that's worth reading:
http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/fullcontrol/Full_Control.pdf

Here's a whole forum for beginner bikers:
https://www.beginnerbikers.org/

Lol I figured that much the moment I sat on it, but loved it.

Thank you very much for the info! And yes, I plan on the CHP motorcycle safety course in the near future.
  • Out in back
  • 1992 BMW K75

Offline BEE

• Curious
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2022, 10:42:05 AM »
Well I have a Honda Trail 90 that could be a good way to learn to ride.  No clutch, low to the ground and not much power.  Let me know!

Thank you for the offer, quite tempting. I just looked those up right now and seem pretty fun to ride. I'll think about it and pm you at some point.
  • Out in back
  • 1992 BMW K75

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2022, 10:55:37 AM »
Thank you very much for the info! And yes, I plan on the CHP motorcycle safety course in the near future.
Get Jerry Paladino's instructional downloads to prepare you for the course. Learning to maneuver and control your moto at slow speed is essential. Learn how to lift your moto from a dropped position before you drop it. Jerry covers it all. Never mind that he uses a Harley; all the skill he teaches is applicable to any motorcycle. Watch his online videos until you receive his download course.

If you have side cases for your moto, mount them to it because they are likely to limit damage to the moto when it's dropped in freefall.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline BEE

• Curious
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2022, 09:25:14 AM »
Get Jerry Paladino's instructional downloads to prepare you for the course. Learning to maneuver and control your moto at slow speed is essential. Learn how to lift your moto from a dropped position before you drop it. Jerry covers it all. Never mind that he uses a Harley; all the skill he teaches is applicable to any motorcycle. Watch his online videos until you receive his download course.

If you have side cases for your moto, mount them to it because they are likely to limit damage to the moto when it's dropped in freefall.

Thank you very much. Will definitely go over the material  112350
  • Out in back
  • 1992 BMW K75

Offline Past-my-Prime

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • All of us are better when we're loved.
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2022, 08:35:54 PM »
Early on, you WILL drop the bike, probably in a parking lot or the garage.

Usually onto the right side. Just about everyone does!

Side cases - p a n n i e r s  (Tragkorbs) help to cushion the blow.
  • North Shore of Lake Superior (in my garage)
  • BRICK: 1989 K75 RT - Rocinante; NON-BRICK: 2007 F650 GS Dakar - Betty Blue

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2022, 10:28:15 PM »
Early on, you WILL drop the bike, probably in a parking lot or the garage.

Usually onto the right side. Just about everyone does!

What a defeatist attitude. I've owned 20-odd K bikes and only dropped 3 or 4 of them. :laughing4-giggles:
Buy parts here.

Tags: