Author Topic: Switching to LED Turn Signals? What do I need to know?  (Read 3625 times)

Offline AR-Trvlr

• Motobrick Curious
  • Bushpusher
Switching to LED Turn Signals? What do I need to know?
« on: September 06, 2013, 03:51:46 AM »
I've installed a GIVI rack for tail and side cases.  The rack relocates the OEM rear turn signals back and further out, making it loom terrible.  Also, one of my turn signals is broken and wiggles around a bit. 

I'd like to replace the OEM turn signals with smaller LED signals on the rack, plus a pair of signals on the back next to the license plate.  What do I need to do to keep the bike from showing the error light?  Anything, or is that just for the brake lights?

Current Bike: '87 K75C  Former Bikes: '92 Nighthawk 750, '94 Barbie KLR 650, '03 Bandit 1200S

Offline Opus

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • 1988 K100 LT
Re: Switching to LED Turn Signals? What do I need to know?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 05:06:45 AM »
If you can find FrankenDuck, he has a complete kit for a LED Swap out and info.
There are a few postings also here that talks about swap overs to LEDs.
Good Luck
Toney

1988 BMW K100LT (Current Project Bike)
1982 Honda GW 1100 I (Sold and will be missed)
1975 Honda CB550F [MOD] (Sold)
196x Sears Allstate 250 (Traded in for CB550F)

Offline bikerboy

• Motobrick Curious
Re: Switching to LED Turn Signals? What do I need to know?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 04:19:29 PM »
Very simple job. I have fitted LED indicators back and front on my RS. If you trawl the web you will find that you need to remove the indicator unit from the relay box, and then take it apart - very easy. Then you locate the little chip thing with 8 legs on it, it has U243 written on it. Cut one of the legs (think it is number 7) then put it back together. You can then fit LEDs with no problem.
Whole job takes 20 minutes and costs nothing.

Tags: