Author Topic: Fork rebuild - parts list  (Read 96 times)

Offline BaneMaker

• Curious
Fork rebuild - parts list
« on: April 27, 2024, 01:58:08 AM »
Greeting and salutations - and thx for the membership. I’m new here, so a little background.

Chemical engineer, Denmark, 48 yo, got my motorbike license late in life (thank god), have 6 years of experience on my first bike (2018 R nine T). Ok competent for anything mechanical, but haven’t been wrenching on K bikes - ever.

I am going to pick up a 1993 K1100LT with 68000 km on the odo, and it has a leaky front fork that needs fixing asap. One issue is the obvious brake issue, but another is that it cannot get its MOT with it - and that is required for ownership change in this country. Well so I have to move fast.

Anyway - as I am going in, I want to make sure I change the parts that makes sense. I was planning on:

CLYMER MANUAL
Seals (what quality to get in EU if not OEM?)
Dust boots
Progressive springs (looking at RSK speedworks or Wilbers)
10w oil

What else? The copper/teflon sliding bushings for instance? Would you put gaters on it?

Appreciate any help for a noob.
  • Denmark
  • 1993 K1100LT
1993 K1100 LT
2018 R Nine T

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Fork rebuild - parts list
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 01:30:37 PM »
Welcome, frequently, the cause of leaky forks is s bit of dirt caught on the lip of the seal.  A little hook made from the plastic of a water bottle can be slipped into the gap to pull out the dirt that is causing the trouble.  It doesn't work every time, but often enough to make it worthwhile trying.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152264097610?

Once you have forks working without leaks, it is wise to install fork boots to keep the seals clean.  In the U.S. we use Rancho 1952 shock boots.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235522168984?
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline frankenduck

• Adrninistrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 02:39:19 PM »
Just get the OEM fork seals.

The factory springs are progressively wound. (for 4 valve Ks) You only need new springs if you want stiffer springs.

You can make your own fork seal cleaner out of a thin piece of plastic like a plastic business card.
Once I had a Collie pup. Dug a hole and covered him up. Now I sit there by the hour. Waiting for a Collie-flower.
New to K bikes? Click here.
K Bike Maintenance & Mods: Click here.
Buy parts here.

Offline BaneMaker

• Curious
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2024, 05:22:23 PM »
Thank you much gents - I’ll try the cleaning. What do you think about the parts - provided I DO get in there. Bushings?
  • Denmark
  • 1993 K1100LT
1993 K1100 LT
2018 R Nine T

Tags: